Author Topic: Thou Shall Triple check powder in cases !!!!  (Read 381 times)

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
Thou Shall Triple check powder in cases !!!!
« on: March 07, 2009, 05:00:19 PM »
THOU SHALL TRIPLE check Powder in Cases!!! 
 After loading several thousand rounds. I missed chargeing a case.  It was a 357mag case using a hard cast swc bullet .  Luckly it was the last round in the Cylinder.  There was no recoil , the report was not right, and my steel target didn't clang or swing.  The primer had enough to just push the SWC into the forceing cone and about .005's into the Barrel . Had a Heck of a time getting the cylinder to open.
You should never rush loading and thats what I did. I feel I was Very Lucky. But I learned A very Good Lesson. So Newbies and Veterans alike learn from My dumb A&%. Tripple check Powder charges !!!!
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Thou Shall Triple check powder in cases !!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 01:54:20 AM »
REALLY GOOD LESSON!!!

Mistakes happen ALL THE TIME. Don't beat yourself up, that is all this was. Proper gun handling prevents things like this from becoming disasters. ANYTIME something feels different. STOP shooting and check that gun and its barrel. I don't even trust my eyes sometimes, as you cannot see great down a gun barrel on a range. Push a rod thru that barrel and make certain that projectile came out!!!

Glad you caught it!!  I cannot tell you how many times I have questioned myself at the loading bench... I have pulled many many bullets for fear I miss charged them. Better to be safe than sorry as momma used to tell me.  ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:39:48 AM »
I was reloading some old 45/70 cartridges,did not trust what was in them and was desperate for brass,been waiting 5 weeks for back-ordered.Pulled bullets,cleaned cases up a little and started loading with Trail Boss powder,after 10 or 12 I had the powder run over the top and thought the scale must be way off and re-calibrate it,then I poured out the powder from the case and found some of the old powder had remained in the case.Needless to say I pulled all of them and stared over checking every one carefully
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 04:21:39 AM »
last night i double-charged one, first time i have done that. i had a rythm going, seating a bullet while waiting for the next powder charge to come out of the thrower, and i failed to move the funnel to the next brass. thankfully i was loading 45 colt and it overflowed. if i had been using a different powder than 2400 it might not have overflowed.

hopefully me looking into each case and comparing them to each other would have caught that but who knows...

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 04:30:51 AM »
Over 20 years ago, I used to, thru our Dept. teach several classes a year to women on self-defense handgun shooting. A hot-shot fireman sent his wife to class with a 6" BORROWED PYTHON, and 50 rounds of what I later learned (almost the hard way) was "hot-shot reloads". My fireman friend proudly watched his wife take her position on the firing line after four hours of impatient class room.
20 rounds into the qualifier I was standing slightly behing and to this wife's right side watching her struggle with the monster Python shooting light loaded 38 specials. On the third round of rapid fire, I heard the tell-tale pop, and quickly grabbed cylinder to freeze the gun. For a moment she struggle against me to pull the trigger, until I yelled directly into her face to release the pistol.
After ordering the  irate fireman off my firing line, I cleared the line, and showed everyone the plugged barrel. Whew!
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 05:44:13 AM »
GREAT story Dee!! Its guys like you, who have been there and done that that can really ad a personal spin on this great learning experience. Like I tell my students, there are two kinds of people, Those that have had a Accidental Discharge and those that will. What keeps them from getting hurt WHEN it happens is what I teach them first,. Keep that gun pointed in a safe direction!!! Thes and the AD I just mentioned are simply ACCIDENTS, be smart and keep them from becoming TRADGEDYS!!!

At the store we used to have a 686 barrel cut down its length. It had 4 or 5 158Gr lead slugs lodged inside, before it locked up the cylinder disabling the revolver.
 I also remember a story a instructor told me many years ago. About a patrol man whose life was saved by this very thing. It was a old H&R revolver in 38S&W caliber. Apparently the arrest/detainment went really bad and the cop ended up with the bad guys revolver at his temple. The cop herd the "pop" that two more dead sounding pops and clunk as the revolver hit the floor and the foot falls of the bad guy as he ran off... Turns out the first round half exited the barrel, the next two lodged in the barrel destroying the gun and part of the bad guys hand. Good part, that squib load saved that cops life!!! Best part they cought that POS!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 05:58:14 AM »
Any time you have one with NO POWDER you should assume you might have one with two charges unless the powder is such that a double will over flow the case.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 06:25:26 AM »
Even after 40 years of reloading and many, many thousands of rounds out the tube I still reload the way I did way back then VERY CAREFULLY.
This can happen to the best of us when our mind is wandering while reloading. This is why I close my reloading room door and turn off the music and concentrate on what I'm doing.
I've made a few boo-boo's over the years, and no I don't want to talk about them. :-[ :-[