Author Topic: Snake Tamer 20 guage  (Read 897 times)

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
Snake Tamer 20 guage
« on: March 08, 2009, 12:41:04 PM »
I am looking at buying an H&R snaketamer 20 guage for camp, backpack, four wheeling  and surrvival rifle.  I believe the choke is "modified" from the factory.  Will this be a problem with slugs feeding through a smoothbore?  Any suggestions on shell loads for my intended use.  I looked at FAQS and did not seem to find the information there.  Reason I am buying this, is because i took a brand new Handi out of the box in 308 last week.  Put on a red dot scope and fired four to zero, and then shot 2" groups of 5 using the red dot at 100 yds.  Absolutely no complaints.  Used my borther-in- laws handloaded speer flatnose at 170 grain.

Thanx for your help

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Snake Tamer 20 guage
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 12:49:31 PM »
your 20 gauge with a modified choke barrel will shoot Foster style rifled slugs and Buckhammers just fine, and most likely very accurately as well out to about 60-70 yards for deer (or defense). As far as shot loads go it all depends what you want to do with them or what you want them to do for you....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 02:12:58 PM »
Mostly I want to be able to stop a cow defending it's young.  That sounds strange until you realise cattle up here in the middle of Arizona tend to settle thier own disputes with coyote, feral dog and the occasional moutain lion or bear.  Like they said in the cartoon, "ther'e tough, mighty tough" .  It wouldn't hurt if my little single shot would put down varmit.  The scariest one though is probably the two legged variety varmit. 

blindhari

it's been over 25 yrs since I used a shotgun and that was my last pheasnt hunt with Dad. 
TANSTAAFL

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:57:49 AM »
For that I would go with slugs or if up close and personal 00 buckshot. Personally I would stick with slugs.
#4 buckshot should work well for varmints like coyote, feral dogs, and the 2 legged variety, out to 20-25 yards or so and shot placement would not be as critical, but still it's hard to beat a well placed shotgun slug for changing someones mind. Once you get out and shoot your 20 gauge (I suggest you AVOID 3" shells and stick with 2 3/4" standard shells) I think you are going to like it. Get some inexpensive 2 3/4" Remington sluggers or more expensive Remington Buckhammers ( 2 3/4"also), some 2/ 3/4" 00 buckshot, some 2 3/4" #4 buckshot and perhaps some low brass # 6 or 7 1/2 shotshells a go out and experiment with it. The Tamer stock is not the best at reducing recoil, so if you can get a slip on recoil pad (a Sims medium perhaps) get one, you will thank me. You might also try out a regular H&R/NEF rifle/shotgun buttstock on it. I think the best would be a straight (non Monte Carlo) synthetic buttstock, they come with a recoil pad, or perhaps a survivor stock with a slip on Sims pad....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley