Author Topic: wow its getting bad  (Read 473 times)

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
wow its getting bad
« on: March 08, 2009, 05:17:02 PM »
was looking at midsouth to day damn not only are primers ,bullets and powder getting low reloading equipment is going fast also. was looking for a lube sizer and they are out
never to much gun

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: wow its getting bad
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »
The other day I made it into three locations, which sell reloading components or ammunition.

Shop #1 had just received a large order of handgun ammunition from a commercial loader.  He had a very good supply of powder; average price was $29.95 a pound.!!  He appeared to have a pre-run of bullets.  Suspect like his powder supply his bullets were far more then the big stores.  Overall his supply was larger then the Sportsmen’s Warehouse I was in a few weeks ago.

Shop#2 had a good supply of powder and was asking $31 a pound.  He appeared to have at least 30,000 primers or more in stock.  His supply of bullets was okay but less then Shop#1.

I stopped at a Wal Mart which ammunition shelves were about empty two weeks ago, and they had just received a fair shipment of Winchester ammunition.  They had not marked up their price.  Before the clerk could get the cases open a customer was already telling him that he would take five boxes of the 45acp.

I was not surprised at Shop #1 asking price on powder; he has been high for years when it came to powder.  But he has always been fair to deal with in other areas. 

When I stopped at Sportsmen’s Warehouse a few weeks ago I was going to buy powder.  I had been in there the day before and knew I was going to be back the next day.  They were out of the IMR powders, so the plan was to return home a check my manuals.  My new powder of interest was Ramshot TAC priced at $18.95 a pound.  When I returned in less then 24-hours the price of TAC had jumped up to $24.95.  I left the store.

They will sell their supplies, and I am glad they are in business.  They’re out very few businesses in the communities any more that supply shooters.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I learned a long time ago to stock up when the shelves are full and the prices the best deals.   So these shortages never bother me, and this one won't either (not weven if it becomes permanent as some are speculating).   Have more than enough of everything on hand to last what's left of my life and then some IOW.   
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »
 "Deja vu all over again."

I remember back in ~1993(?) when there was a bill floated in CA where nobody here would be able to buy more than a small quantity of ammo or primers per month without an 'armoror's licence' or some such thing. Ammo and primer prices doubled almost overnight, and all the stores here were out of stock.

Then there was Y2K...

Never know (and that's the root of the problem), but I assume prices and availability will normalize after the current panic subsides.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 12:26:46 AM »
Ladobe said it, buy when the shelves are full. I wouldn't panic now, we have been through this before, most likely the dealers will catch up again. Think about it, now, calm down, really ,how many bullets are you actually going to need?

When I was young I thought my survival depended on how many bullets I had too. I think this is just a nervious reaction. Lets you feel like you are doing something. I don;t know how many bullets I loaded during the Cuban missile crisis, but it was a bunch. I would have been far better off leaving my powder in cans and my primers in their boxes, that would have left me flexibility to adapt to the situation that arose.

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:36:39 AM »
o i have reloading supplies i was just saying that unlike other times its not just powder and primers it everything related to reloading
 presses,lube sizer and so on
never to much gun