Author Topic: New recoil pad / lead in stock  (Read 1776 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
New recoil pad / lead in stock
« on: March 09, 2009, 10:08:54 AM »
I cranked up the ol' band saw yesterday and cut about an inch off a pallet wood Monte Carlo stock I have.  Got it sanded nice and flat, ready for a new recoil pad to give me a 13.5 inch or so LOP.   :)

Naturally I thought of a Limbsaver first, but the grind to fit pad is around $40!   :o  Heck, that's more then the stock is worth!   ::)  If I was sure I was going to keep the stock on my 45-120 I'd go ahead and get one, but I'm just playing now.  I may end up getting something from Gunstocks, Inc.   :-\  Of course, once I fit the Limbsaver to the stock it won't be any good for anything else... kind of like the factory recoil pad that came on the stock.  It's much to small to cover the whole butt now.   :(

As I see it I can:
(a) screw on the factory pad and use it until I decide what I'm going to do.  But I don't believe that pad is near as effective as the Limbsaver and will prematurely limit my load development... 'sides, it would really look like "Bubba" done it!  :-[
(b) Bite the bullet and put a Limbsaver on secure in the belief that I will be able to unload it on... uh, .... pass it on to some member and recoup some of the expense.   ;)

What cho thin?   ???

Next; lead in the stock.  I've got a 7 inche deep, 7/8ths inch diameter hole in the butt stock.  Idea, fill some metal pipe with a 7/8ths inch OD with lead so I can just slip it in the hole for extra weight.  I got plenty of lead to melt; no birdshot.  Any other ideas on how to get the max amount of lead in the stock?  Oh and Tim, Remember I have 9 feet 10.9 inches of half inch conduit left...  ::) ;) ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New recoil pad / lead in stock
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:34:11 AM »
I think I would get the limbsaver, and add the lead. Just put the limbsaver and see how it feels without grinding it. That way you could use it on another stock later if you want. I know wat you mean about the cost. I have had one for over a year that I cant decide what to put it on. :-\ :) :)

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »
Counselor,

I'd say go fer' the good recoil pad. Not sure if the price is any better than the Limbsaver's, but the Kick Eez Sorbothane pads are pretty effective too.

As for getting as much lead possible in the butt screw hole  (:-\ something about that doesn't sound right?)
How about plugging up one end of a section of 7/8" ID metal tubing, coating the interior with release agent and using it as a mold.
Cut the resulting 'ingot' to length to span from the bolt head to the spacer in front of the recoil pad so it's held in fast.
Haven't yet tried this myself but been thinkin' to...
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:21:23 AM »
The ˝" conduit is a little on the small side at about .710", the stock bolt hole is .880", but a few wraps of duct tape will take up the slack. I used pieces of old .62 cal smooth bore barrel from my Indian Trade gun to make mine, one wrap of electrical tape was all it took to keep it snug.

It's been a while since I bought the last Limbsaver GTF, but it was less than $30 at Sportsman's Warehouse. I think I'd print out the Limbsaver templates and see if any of them come close to fitting your stock before I did a GTF, lots less work and shims required!! ;D

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=S10541

http://www.limbsaver.com/templates.php#nine

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »
just an idea the small limbsaver slip-on works real good...fits my handi,fits my m94 winchester, buy one and move it around where you need it

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 11:49:50 AM »
Wait a second there, I didn't think REAL men needed no stink'n recoil pad for a little ole 45-120!!! Richard I think you should take the forearm off and put it on a gun mount. I personally think it is going to take a little more than lead in the stock to tame that horse. You could wittle the stock out a little more (out of round so as not to make it too thin) and fill a bag with lead and inset it. Good luck. JamesIII

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 12:27:46 PM »
Well, I have to recommend the limb-saver as well... Lessin' you a have a real hankerin' for a better..err, nicer stock in the near future. ::)

Maybe another brand of pad? One that's easier on the ol' pocket book?  Pachmayr DeCelerators are pretty good. I have one of them on my boar buster short 12Ga. It works well enough...

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 12:52:45 PM »
+1 on the Decelarator, I put one on my fluted 270 stock last year, great pad, nicer looking than the Limbsaver, more durable from what I've read, isn't quite as soft as the Limbsaver.  ;) It's a Pachmayr D752B Decelerator Old English Recoil Pad Grind to Fit Leather Texture 1" Medium Black #01407.

Tim

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=3561988

http://www.priceinsanity.com/servlet/the-1066161/Pachmayr-01401-D752B-Decelerator/Detail

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3892

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »
Just put the limbsaver and see how it feels without grinding it.

:o  See what I mean!?  Simple answer I never thought of!  I get the template and drill the holes, mount the pad and then, if I decide on another stock I still have a unsized pad ready to grind!  Meanwhile I don't have to worry about the edges of the stock getting dinged up like I would with the OEM pad because it is to small!  I can't believe I didn't see that!   ::)

Thanks CBU!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 01:25:27 PM »
Richard, mold ya a new butt stock outa lead, when yer done recycle into 3 bullets for the 45-120. ::)  I guess ya got some good answers before I could chime in.  Darn work got in the way again.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 01:27:09 PM »
I'd say go fer' the good recoil pad.

I'd never heard of the Limbsaver until Tim was talking about it, but my minimal research seems to suggest it's about the best out there.  Kick Eez ranks high also and I've never heard of it either but was going to check it out.  It's 'spose to be heavier and adds more weight which is a plus.   :D

(:-\ something about that doesn't sound right?)

What do you think I was thinking when I wrote it!   ;D  I think I did very well in keeping it clean...  ;)

I thought of a mould of some type, but I'm not familiar with a release agent you can use with molten metal...  :-\  That's why I was looking for a 7/8 ths inch metal tube.
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »
The ˝" conduit is a little on the small side at about .710", the stock bolt hole is .880",

True, and the half inch pipe would leave a lot of empty space that needs to be filled with lead!   :P  I was thinking of drilling a couple of more holes in the butt and routing out the forearm for lead while I was at it!  WEIGHT!  I NEED MORE WEIGHT!!!  ;D

less than $30

The $40 was MSRP from the Limbsaver website.  I should be able to find them cheaper from suppliers.   :-\  I noticed that Lyman wants about a third more for the tapered crimp die then T of the W. ::)

print out the Limbsaver templates and see if any of them come close to fitting your stock

Another great idea!  I printed out one of the GTF templates but I'll go back and do just what you suggest!   :)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 01:40:55 PM »
Do ya have a 7/8" spade bit for boring wood? Dad used to make cheap sinkers for sturgeon fishing using 4x4 wood molds that he drilled/carverd, they had to be replaced regularly, but they worked. You might wanta go undersize just a little depending on the density of the wood, and make sure it's very dry wood!! ;D

Tim

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »
the small limbsaver slip-on works real good...

I thought of that and it's still an option.  but I'd need a perminant pad eventually.   :-\

I didn't think REAL men needed no stink'n recoil pad for a little ole 45-120!!!

Well... this kinda goes along with my response to Zoner.  I never saw much need for the super recoil pads... until now!   ::)  Thinkin about where I'm at, recoil wise, and where I want to go, load wise, has made me consider all sorts of things to reduce felt recoil!   :-[   I tell ya boys, crankin a few of them rounds off, even if they were below Tim's starting load and nothing compared to Tyler's 'possum load, put me in touch with my feminine side real quick!   :'(
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 01:52:31 PM »
 I tell ya boys, crankin a few of them rounds off, even if they were below Tim's starting load and nothing compared to Tyler's 'possum load, put me in touch with my feminine side real quick!   :'(

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 01:54:21 PM »
Pachmayr DeCelerators are pretty good.

I think just about ever pad I've has put on one of my guns has been a Pachmayer.  I agree they are good and good looking pads.   :)  But I want max recoil reduction!   :-[  ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »
Do ya have a 7/8" spade bit for boring wood?

If I don't I can get one real quick!  Another great idea.  I wondered if wood would last long enough for the lead to solidify!  Heck, I could make a gang mould outa one piece of 2x4!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 03:55:55 PM »
If you are using wood for a mold preburn the wood with a torch....

I did that for a weight for my AR-15.

You could always get the pad and just screw it on.  Dont grind it until you figure out if you are keeping the stock or not, that way you can fit it on your new stock.

I used some copper pipe 1/2" maybe and filled it with lead.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »
Thanks DK!  Obviously wood works!  problem appears solved.   ;D  Now where's that drill bit?   :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »
 need more weight use a heaver bullet ;D     i had some 10gauge slugs  that i filled the stock up with
never to much gun

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 05:21:54 PM »
But I want max recoil reduction!   :-[  ;)

Then you HAVE TO GO Limb-saver or Kick-eez. I have Limb Savers on ALL heavy kickers. IMHO, they are the best pad for recoil reduction out there.

I have a Kick-eez on a 870 and it is also very effective. But limited availability has me buying the LIMBSAVER!!!

Here is one on my 500 S&W:

I have two on my USH slug guns. These are pre-fit pads. They fit OK. But not perfect.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 05:42:49 AM »
I thought of a mould of some type, but I'm not familiar with a release agent you can use with molten metal...  :-\  That's why I was looking for a 7/8 ths inch metal tube.

How about "Drop Out": http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=763758

I have several cans of the stuff with MidWay's name on it.
Some have reported good results using it as a cast bullet lube also.
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 07:05:52 AM »
How about "Drop Out

DUH!    :P  I went back and read our respective posts and can't believe I said that!   :-[  I must have been heavily involved in replentishing my shim material supply at the time!   ;D

Of course there are release agents!  ::)  I have a can of Drop Out.  The round metal tube is a good idea and I guess what I was trying to say is, since the tube can't be opened up like a mould, will a combination the release agent and the metal shrinkage allow the lead bar to slip out of the tube?  :-\

But that is an idea, I can cut a pipe lengthwise and make my own mould just like drilling out a piece of wood!   :o  It's not like it has to be a precision instrument like one of Veral's moulds!  Shoot!  I can't wait to get home and try something!!  ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 07:24:58 AM »
Now all ya need is some pipe that has an .880" ID or slightly smaller, got room for another 10 footer!!  ;D

Tim

Offline NFG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 07:33:03 AM »
I used a piece of AL tubing I found in the scrap pile that just happened to fit the hole...filled it with #71/2 shot mixed with a bit of epoxy, then made a cushion of delrin to go over the throughbolt, and cut a piece of dowel to fit between the "lead pipe" and the recoil pad...plus added another screw to the spacer between the recoil pad and the butt...just in case.  That added 19 oz of extra weight...I used shot because I don't like messing with molten lead...

Now if the weather would cooperate so I can get my 12ga cannon out of the lathe, I could do my 45-120 rechamber.

Luck on your project.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 07:48:03 AM »
Richard, you could always put a synthetic stock on it, Limbsaver makes a prefit pad for it, then just fill it with shot. I filled my Encore t-hole Flex-tech stock with 4˝lbs of #9 shot for bench work with the 375H&H barrel, worked great, that was pre-LeadSled!!  ;D

Tim

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
I'm gonna take a quick look for tubing, you can always use a few 10 foot sections of pipe laying arouns  ::), then I'll just try the hole-in-wood method!   ;D

you could always put a synthetic stock on it,

Hesh yo mouf boy!   :o  Even palet wood is better then plastic!  I got one synthetic stock in my arsenal.  Just one!  Well, that's not true... my turkey gun has a synthetic stock... and I got some military types with synthetics...  :-[  Maybe I don't dislike synthetic stocks as much as I thought...  :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 07:14:45 PM »
Cw:
What # Limbsaver prefit pads did you use on your stocks?
They don't look like they fit all that bad.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 12:22:20 AM »
Cw:
What # Limbsaver prefit pads did you use on your stocks?
They don't look like they fit all that bad.

LONGTOM

Sorry man, I don't know!!

I even went down an pulled them off. Hoping that the numbers where still on the base. No luck... >:(  I do remember that at the time NEF/H&R was NOT listed as being one that it would fit.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 05:19:40 AM »
I have H&R, NEF and Handi Rifle as saved searches on E-Bay and Limbsavers keep coming up...like daily.  You may want to look there.  I don't really know why you'd want to deaden recoil.  If you reamed it out to 120, you've got to be into pain, so you got what you were looking for ;) ;)  A nice polished brass butt plate would look nice.  You'd just have to wipe the blood offn it.

Your Pal, 

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491