Author Topic: DPMS AP4 optics  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Pinkerton

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
DPMS AP4 optics
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:33:38 AM »
I picked up my first AR! I chose the AP4 because it was available and I like the option of a removable carry handle so I will have some back up iron sites. But I do plan on mounting some optics on it and wonder if the A2 style front sight will cause me any problems? Do I just need a riser and higher rings?

Thanks

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: DPMS AP4 optics
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:52:12 PM »
i have that same gun. im running a leupold 2X7 in an american defense recon scope mount i can kinda see it but its not noticable unless your looking for it if that makes since.
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:13:49 PM »
Most guys use riser blocks / mounts of some kind to get above the front sight.
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:56:28 AM »
if your using a scope they will for the most part disappear when your magnification gets over 2x. Some like them to be in the sight picture with dot scopes. they like there dot sitting right on top of the front post. Me i dont care for it and dont like mounting them so high enough to cowitness in the bottom third of the optic so i go with flip front sights. If you have a fixed post front its pretty easy to swap a gas block with a folding front onto your gun. What i like is flip front and rear and to have them 100 percent cowitness with my dot. that way a guy can flip them up and get a rough idea of the fact that there still in zero and if your in a big hurry and its up close you can just flip up the front and use the aimpoint turned off as a big apature. Just let your brain center the front post in the big circle and shoot. Youd be surprised how accurarately you can shoot like that.
blue lives matter

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:24:33 AM »
if your using a scope they will for the most part disappear when your magnification gets over 2x.

+1  The front sight will magically disapear.  You don't really need a riser either.  Try it out and you'll be surprised.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:05:08 PM »
if your using a scope they will for the most part disappear when your magnification gets over 2x.

+1  The front sight will magically disapear.  You don't really need a riser either.  Try it out and you'll be surprised.

I sure don't buy that at least not with my Remington R15s. Even with the very highest rings Burris and Weaver both make I can't even begin to get my head low enough to see thru the scope. Might work for some but not for most.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »
Didn't work for me either, I had to go with a riser block. I also like the flip front and rear sights, better than the A2 fixed front.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »
The AR platform was never intended to have a very low-mounted scope. It was built to put the recoil force more directly in line with the stock.

This necessitates having higher sights. I've placed my AR and my bolt-action 30-06 butt-to-butt and the sights on the carry handle are no higher than the sights on the bolt-action rifle, with respect to the buttplate.