Author Topic: Some advice please. Reloading 45-70 Gov. for Marlin 1895 CB 26"  (Read 933 times)

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
I'm just starting out with reloading and would like to get some feedback before I pull the trigger. This is what I have to work with. I will change things up as I learn, but for now I need to stick with these supplies.

I have (2) bullet sizes, that I loaded a few of to start with.
300gn JHP and 405gn JFNSP
I have IMR 3031
I know other powder is preferable in many opinions but this is what I have to work with. Not a lot of choices out there right now. Anyway, I just want to check with some of you guys with the knowledge and experience, to be sure I'm not going to have any major malfunctions at the range. I seemed to get varying data between load sources.

Thanks in advanced for your advice. Please, go easy on me, what I've learned is I don't know squat.

I wanted to start at the low end of the powder load from what I found in load manuals. This is what I came up with. First, are these loads going to work, and second, what load of the IMR 3031 would you advise other than what I started with?

.458    300gn    JHP         IMR 3031      52.4 gn        Manual said Low 50.2gn      Max 56gn

.458   405gn     JFNSP     IMR 3031      34gn            Manual said  Low 34gn       Max  39gn

Thanks,
Swordfish
"If it bleeds we can kill it" Dutch

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Some advice please. Reloading 45-70 Gov. for Marlin 1895 CB 26"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »
They look fine to me. But one thing I noticed.. The 300 is a 1895 level load (Stronger actions) while the 405 is a trap door level load. BOTH will be fine and safe in your Marlin, so don't worry about that.

3031 is a fine powder for this grand old caliber.

What is your intended purpose for these loads?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »
Marlin 1895 45-70 26" barrel
300 grain JHP seated to 2.53" and crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp Die
Winchester brass, 2.1" trim
CCI 200 primer
58 grains IMR3031 START ≈2,020 fps ≈21,900 CUP
64 grains compressed IMR3031 MAXIMUM ≈2,250 fps ≈29,500 CUP

Marlin 1895 45-70 26" barrel
405 grain JSP seated to 2.55" and crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp Die
Winchester brass, 2.1" trim
CCI 200 primer
51 grains IMR3031 START ≈1,860 fps ≈26,900 CUP
55 grains compressed IMR3031 MAXIMUM ≈2,020 fps ≈37,300 CUP

Adapted from Hodgdon

As can be seen here your loads are rather mild, which certainly makes the Marlin 1895 more pleasant to shoot.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline swordfish

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »
Esox, thanks for the info.
The light load was for my safety and fear of malfunction due to my lack of experience at reloading. These are my first loads. First time "ebe jebes".  I actually like a hard kick to hunting rifles. I'll work my way to the higher end soon, great info.
I'm finding the max/min loads vary from manual to manual, even though using what seems to me as the same powder and bullet. I'm a bit confused with that so I was sure to use min loads. Then I was worried there might not be enough powder to push the bullet through the 26" barrel. Must tests were on 22" barrels. Maybe I'm over-thinking all this, but want to keep it safe.

My goal is to find the best load for hogs in this 45-70.

Thanks
Swordfish

Offline swordfish

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 06:20:34 PM »
They look fine to me. But one thing I noticed.. The 300 is a 1895 level load (Stronger actions) while the 405 is a trap door level load. BOTH will be fine and safe in your Marlin, so don't worry about that.
3031 is a fine powder for this grand old caliber.
What is your intended purpose for these loads?
CW
cwlongshot,
My intended purpose for these loads is to try a lite load as my first attempt at reloading. These are my first reloads. I will use them at the range, but want to work my way to a good hunting load with the supplies I have. I went way on the lite side and then was worried they might be to lite. It will take a while getting this down, but I'm stoked to try it out. I'm reaching out to you guys for your knowlege. Some great info here. Most people fish around my area, don't know anyone that reloads.

Many thanks for the info.
Swordfish

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
I have experimented with IMR4064, Accurate2230, IMR4227, 3031, and finally settled on Reloader 7 with a Hornady 350 Round Nose at maximum charge for its accuracy and on game performance with my 1895 in 22". I have had great accuracy with 350 grain Laser Cast and 2230 but have not used this load on game. Cast bulllets are cheaper but I prefer the jacketed 350's for hunting.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 12:19:37 AM »
cwlongshot,
My intended purpose for these loads is to try a lite load as my first attempt at reloading. These are my first reloads. I will use them at the range, but want to work my way to a good hunting load with the supplies I have. I went way on the lite side and then was worried they might be to lite. It will take a while getting this down, but I'm stoked to try it out. I'm reaching out to you guys for your knowledge. Some great info here. Most people fish around my area, don't know anyone that reloads.

Many thanks for the info.
Swordfish

OK, kinda what I figured.  Even more experienced loaders are smart to start lite as not all data is perfectly safe in all guns. Always start at the starting load and work up watching for the telltale pressure signs.

Data varies for a couple reasons. You have already seen the THREE levels that this caliber is loaded to. Your 1895 is plenty strong for the second level and judicially loaded, you can get into that third level, a good bit. The other reason was different guns or test barrels produce different results. Different altitudes and powder/primer lots also produce different results. This is why you should always start at the starting load and work up.

Your loads look fine. Generally problems happen when half or twice the powder is used. Like if the powder measure bridged or old dumped half the powder in one case and then dumped that remainder+ the next complete charge in the next case. Generally rifle loading the powders are far more bulky so this would be immediately evident. But with pistols its could easily be missed with dynamic results.

Load in peace and quiet with out distractions. Don't do it when your overly tired or exasperated. you will be just fine.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.