Author Topic: need help picking a gun  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Mc85

• Trade Count: (0)
need help picking a gun
« on: December 17, 2002, 06:14:31 PM »
I am new to concealed carry....I am 18 and just applied for my ccw...I haven't had any probs with the law and I live in a shall issue state...,so I am looking for a concealed carry weapon as I am almost sure I will be issued a ccw.

uh does anybody have any ideas on what a good first handgun would be...I have shot a few handguns in my life ranging from .22lr to .44mag...,  I don't mind recoil to much as long as it is controlable to some extent....

I was thinking maybe a small .38special +p revolver....maybe like a little Taurus 5 shot snubbie...,but I am not sure yet.....  any ideas ? I would apreciate any input u all have.

Thanx alot

Mc.
7.62x54R  the next best thing to being there!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Choosing a handgun
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 04:26:29 AM »
Mc85 - choosing a handgun for concealed carry is not always such an easy task and there are so many choices out there it can be a mind-boggling chore.

My first question to you regards the purpose of your CCW - are you planning on entering the law enforcement field and seek something commensurate with what some Police Offiers carry as a backup weapon?

Are you looking for something for general all purpose field and self defense use?  And if for self defense use the question that really begs an answer is what sort of dangerous situations do you encounter at your age that would necessitate a concealed handgun for protection that might not be better dealth with through avoidance.  

If you are not a Police Officer or a potential candidate for Police training and a law enforcement career or something similar and seek a handgun for general all around shooting, field use and protection if you ever need it, then you may wish to narrow your choices to a medium bore revolver (38/357) with wide applicability.

Your own suggestion about a +p rated 38 snubbie is on target, in that regard.  You can also think in terms of used Police revolvers in 38 or 357, as most have been shot little and maintained well.  Here, a plain jane S&W 38/357 might suit your needs very well and give you better field application with enough capability for defense.

Just my two cents worth.  Mikey.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
need help picking a gun
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 04:29:54 AM »
the main thing is to pick a gun that fits you! and feels good in your hand! while wearing gloves/and bare handed!  the big thing is fit and feel and function! period! using the 380 as a bare minimum cailber i would go with so anythng above that is a good choice!

Offline Mc85

need help picking a gun
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 04:48:01 PM »
Thank you for the info Mikey,

Uh well to answer some of your questions.Uh I am getting a ccw for personal pertection reasons...and also just so I can legally  carry to a range.

This coming summer I plan on doing some travel via motorcycle.Most likely by myself....and while I do think the average person is a decent person,I would still feel a little safer with some sort of selfdefence weapon.

I have been into shooting for the last four years and really enjoy it as a recreational hobby.So not to worry I am not just some kid that thinks it would be cool to carry a gun.I have a lot of respect for firearms,and the potential danger they posses.

Uh so yeah those are pretty much the reasons I  am looking to get my ccw and a small carry gun.

Once again thanx to both of you for your input ..it is apreciated

Shawn Mc.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
CCWs
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2002, 04:31:40 AM »
Shawn:  Good luck to you.  The Deputy has an excellent point that I overlooked - fit and feel are very important.

I'm also glad you have some experience with shooting but am happier with your awareness of your responsibilities and safety.  

Deputy provided that the 380 is a minimal caliber in this regard and I would agree.  Look round at your choices, which are many, and get back to us if we can advise you further.  Hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline leadbutt

• Avid Poster
need help picking a gun
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 02:08:24 PM »
Not to be a wet rag or any thing bu at age 18 I don't think you will recieve a HANDGUN CCW as by FEDERAL LAW you have to be 21 to purchase a HANDGUN. Now there are a couple of exceptions but it applies to those who are going into law enforcement
"Just another day in Oz"

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Nope gentlemen!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 05:50:06 PM »
For instance, in ND you can LEGALLY recieve a CCW at 18 y.o. AND Legally CARRY! :-)  You can LEGALLY OWN a handgun at 18, you just can't PURCHASE until 21!  Stupid, I know, but that's the law.  Just like being able to hunt on your own at 16, but can't buy a rifle/shotgun or ammo until 18.

He'll get the permit, but somebody else has to buy the firearm for him.  :roll:
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
Hey, Plainsman!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2002, 02:51:20 AM »
Where'd ya get that purty wolf picture? Is it somepin I can download somewhere? It's really a handsome critter!
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline leadbutt

• Avid Poster
need help picking a gun
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2002, 11:47:07 AM »
Wouldn't say the law is stupid just a little bass-akwards,thats a new one on me  :lol: ,but if you can get one then I would go with a wheel gun in 38/357,less bells and knobs to get use to
"Just another day in Oz"

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Re: Hey, Plainsman!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2002, 10:58:05 AM »
Quote from: Charlie Detroit
Where'd ya get that purty wolf picture? Is it somepin I can download somewhere? It's really a handsome critter!

Go to your 'profile' up above...
Scroll down to AVATAR CONTROL CENTER...
It's one of the avatars in this program! :)
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline Mc85

I picked a gun!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2002, 07:26:24 PM »
Well I picked my gun today...I put a taurus .357 mag on lay-a-way at a local gun shop.It is the model 605ch for those of you that know taurus....,if not well it is a 5 shot snubbie,with a ported 2.25in barrel,and concealed hammer.I can't wait to get it home and run some rounds thru it!. :-)  ..I  am thinking about mostly shooting .38's out of it ,but I like the idea of being able to use the magnum rounds out of it if I want.

Well if any of u have any experience with that model,or any commments on my choice ...,well please make them! thanx!

oh yeah and any ideas on what type of holsters I might want to look at,and what types of ammo I might want to consider looking at.

I got some fiocchi 357 rounds right now....anybody ever use them?

Ok well thanx again for all the info u guys have provided,and may still provide.

Stay safe

and have a good Christmas!!!!!!!!!

Lates y'all

Shawn Mc.