Author Topic: Still a Newbie After 33 Years  (Read 417 times)

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Still a Newbie After 33 Years
« on: March 15, 2009, 11:59:46 AM »
Just wanted to share incase it might help someone else. After 30+ years of realoading I still encounter little things that I should have known but didn't. I sent back some 14 round Para-Ord 45 mags cause they "went bad" on me. Para rebuilt them for free. (great bunch) I went to the range and still could only get 4 or 5 rounds in them. OOPS! 185gr XTP's with OAL of 1.260 won't work in Para mags. 1911's barely, but not double stack Para's. I reseated 400 rds to 1.225 and all is well. For years I thought I had 357 cases bulging. Many would not chamber the last 1/4 inch. Bad dies? too much pressure? OOPS! Too much crimp. Took de-capping pin out of sizer and gently pressed the tip of each case mouth and a few hundred hard to chamber rounds are now perfect. Maybe ya'll are smarter than me but every session at the range or the loading bench is still an education. I love it!!!
Any one else have any "lessons" to share?

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Still a Newbie After 33 Years
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:49:09 PM »
I`m relitively new also, I`ve only been loading about 15 yrs. longer than you have. When it comes to crimping I only crimp when absolutly nessary and that the minium amount to get the job done. I never crimp any round that will be fired in a single shot, and for those that go through a mag. the min. need to stop bullet pull. That mean I put some crimp on my .44 mag. ammo. I put a pretty good crimp on my .454 ammo and a real good crimp on my .500 S&W ammo. With straight walled cases flare them the least possible to seat the bullet and crimp them the min. nessary and you`lll get longer case life.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
Yep, this is a great hobby and pass time.

I first started reloading shot shells back in the 60s, then started to reload with Herters equipment - now that was a trip! - and have been set up to reload for most of the years since.

Still get a charge out of taking my freezer meat with a roll your own.

Have shown two boys how to hunt and reload, and willing involve any friend I can get interested.

And yes, even this Ol'Coot is still learning, and although my wife may not believe it, don't know it all.

Keep em coming!

CDOC (Crusty Deary Ol'Coot)

300 Winmag

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 02:15:28 AM »
v-man,
Before the Lee Factory Crimp Die, I used to use the sizing die to post size pistol rounds. Now I crimp with the LFCD as a separate operation from bullet seating. The crimp is easy to adjust to get the proper crimp and to remove the slight bulge often caused by the seated bullet. This little bulge is quite often problematic, preventing loaded rounds from chambering properly.  I have been reloading 40 + years, and have to relearn things myself every now and then! Good Shooting,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:38:15 AM »
The best advice that I can offer is to put everything away and get out only what you need before reloading.

I was preparing rifle cases one time, .22-250 and had been eyeballing a canister of the HP38 which was setting right next to a canister of the HP380 :o
This was an (eye stygma) type of error and I caught it before I filled the powder measure but the implications of filling up a bottleneck case with pistol powder were still scary though!

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 06:28:23 AM »
GLANCE,
I'm glad to say that I have a little bit of "MONK" the TV character in me. I have a drawer that contains all of my powder canisters. I never allow more than one can out of the drawer at a time when I am loading for fear of exactly what you are speaking of. One of my biggest problems is that after more than 30yrs  with a single stage I had a great, somewhat "anal" but very organized system for efficiency, safety and QC.
2 years ago I finally got a progressive and I am still out of whack and feel like I'm starting my education all over again.