Author Topic: starline brass?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
starline brass?
« on: March 16, 2009, 09:49:34 PM »
is it quality or junk?

Offline Hairtrigger

Re: starline brass?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:14:29 PM »

Starline brass is not junk

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:26:05 PM »
Not Junk.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Old English

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:32:58 PM »
it is one of the most popular brands for reloaders of the 45-70.

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:39:02 PM »
I have used it for over 10 years in 6 calibers, loads ranging from target to top end in the 454 Casull, and overall believe it to be generally better than most other brand cases.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:08:12 AM »
I have used it for different caliber pistol loads and find it top shelf

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 02:36:05 AM »
I just ordered some in 45/70 after reading the reviews on midway.  I sure hope it isn't junk.

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 04:28:47 AM »
I get a lot of mileage out of my Starline .357mag and .45 colt brass ... and I'm not talking plinking loads.

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 05:31:52 AM »
I've used Starline for some oddball military caliber pistol reloads (7.62x25 and 9mm Largo).  In both cases it has worked just fine.  I'm contemplating buying up some of their 7.62 Nagant brass as I have a Nagant revolver sitting on my shelf that's been there unfired for 6+ months for lack of ammo :).

The only minor problem that I had with the 7.62x25 was that the case mouth was just a tad thick and would not always chamber in my CZ-52 properly.  What I ended up doing was buying a second full length sizing die and removing the decapping pin.  Running finished rounds through that put effectively a taper crimp on the end of the round and they worked flawlessly after that.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:00:56 AM »
I've used Starline for some oddball military caliber pistol reloads (7.62x25 and 9mm Largo).  In both cases it has worked just fine.  I'm contemplating buying up some of their 7.62 Nagant brass as I have a Nagant revolver sitting on my shelf that's been there unfired for 6+ months for lack of ammo :).

The only minor problem that I had with the 7.62x25 was that the case mouth was just a tad thick and would not always chamber in my CZ-52 properly.  What I ended up doing was buying a second full length sizing die and removing the decapping pin.  Running finished rounds through that put effectively a taper crimp on the end of the round and they worked flawlessly after that.

Did you try a lee factory crimp die?  I had loaded up some pistol ammo once where I didn't use a lee FCD and they were sticking because I wasn't crimping it just right.  Then I started using a Lee FCD on everything just to dummy proof it for me.

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 06:25:28 AM »
Did you try a lee factory crimp die?  I had loaded up some pistol ammo once where I didn't use a lee FCD and they were sticking because I wasn't crimping it just right.  Then I started using a Lee FCD on everything just to dummy proof it for me.

Not at the time (though I have used them on other cartridges).  I'm not sure they made a .30 cal one short enough to work on 7.62x25 anyways.  In any event running them back through an extra FL sizer has done the trick for me for quite a while. 

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 10:27:57 AM »
Fits revolver moon clips better than any other brand I've tried.  Most of the revolver guys at the range use the stuff, and with light loads, lasts indefinitely.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline SHOOTIST TOO

• SHOOTIST TOO
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 07:47:05 AM »
I will buy it first above all else. I waited a long time and they finaly came out a year ago with 38-55 LONG.
Patron Life Member NRA
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »
Where do you all buy your Starline brass?  Do you have a local shop that carries it?

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 08:59:31 AM »
I had to get mine from midway.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »
When I have to buy pistol and revolver brass, that's all I'll get....And my loads are all hunting loads, no light loads. I believe in practicing with what you'll be hunting with.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline wncchester

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 11:18:25 AM »
How do we keep getting these questions; "Is Starline/Federal/Remington, etc, brass junk?"  Is Lee/Lyman/etc. equipment junk?"  "Are CCI/Winchester/RWS, etc. primers junk?"  "Are Remington/Savage/Ruger, etc, rifles junk?" "Are Speer/Barnes/Hornady/Remington bullets junk/"

How can anyone who is even slightly knowledgable about firearms and reloading could come to an idea that old, popular and large producing brands might be just making "junk" is beyond me.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »
 I have used it for many years. I will look for it when I need brass. I recently bought a couple hundred for my 454 handi project.

IMHO, its definitely NOT junk.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline roger460xvr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
I use starline for my 460xvr never had a problem.....

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »
     I use starline brass in my 445 super mag it has been loaded over 10 times and still going strong. They offer alot of unusual calibers and was the only availabe sorce I could find back in the 90's. definety quality stuff.

woods

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »
I will always try to find Starline first, the rest is second choice for me.  Have some 45 colts that have been loaded WAY hot and shot in a 454 Puma, and they are going strong after 5 reloads.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »
Where do you all buy your Starline brass?  Do you have a local shop that carries it?

Normally I get it straight from Starline on their website, www.starlinebrass.com

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 09:04:11 AM »
Normally I get it straight from Starline on their website, www.starlinebrass.com

Do you find that they are good about keeping their site updated with in-stock/out-of-stock information?  It appears to me that they are the only source for some pistol brass I'm looking for right now.  Plus, they're noticeably less expensive than all other outlets I've found for their brass.  Seems like a no-brainer.  Have I missed something?  Do they normally ship timely for you?  Thank you.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 09:26:42 AM »
How do we keep getting these questions; "Is Starline/Federal/Remington, etc, brass junk?"  Is Lee/Lyman/etc. equipment junk?"  "Are CCI/Winchester/RWS, etc. primers junk?"  "Are Remington/Savage/Ruger, etc, rifles junk?" "Are Speer/Barnes/Hornady/Remington bullets junk/"

How can anyone who is even slightly knowledgable about firearms and reloading could come to an idea that old, popular and large producing brands might be just making "junk" is beyond me.

I don't reload for rifles/pistols, but have owned a variety of firearms, bows, and muzzleloaders and will tell you that old line companies make crap sometimes. Many would say the Rem 710 is just that for a company of their stature. Many don't like the changes to Winchester rifles. Or the Winchester auto shotgun,(can't remember the model) but my brother had two of them and we said he should carrry them both so he would at least get two shots vs. one. I had a Browning B80 shotgun that was very unreliable, I believe it was the same as the Beretta 302? Mossberg has sold a lot of shotguns over the years, but the 9200 was not one of their better ones. Many people are Chevy/Ford fans, but will admit they made some lousy products at one time or another.

As someone who has thought about reloading and has done the shotshell thing, I'm not familiar with Starline, but appreciate the information given here.
Thanks,
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 12:03:46 AM »

Do you find that they are good about keeping their site updated with in-stock/out-of-stock information?  It appears to me that they are the only source for some pistol brass I'm looking for right now.  Plus, they're noticeably less expensive than all other outlets I've found for their brass.  Seems like a no-brainer.  Have I missed something?  Do they normally ship timely for you?  Thank you.

Generally when I order I get a minimum of 1K, and they last for quite a while. I generally end up loosing them before wearing them out.

They have always had what was posted on hand, however I generally call when placing the order, as I really don't like putting the CC number out there in cyberspace. They have always been really helpful and orders generally get here within a week or so.

When I get them in, I will pull a couple dozen and measure for the shortest of the bunch then trim the whole box to that length. They generally run within +/-.005 or so from longest to shortest, but I like to start off with them all as close to the same as I can. Just an anal thing. I have in the past not really noticed any differences in groups, but have noticed differences when crimping. Since several of my calibers are wheel guns and use different type of crimps for different loads, the trim makes them much more consistant. After the initial trim I generally do not have to mess with them again for several loads depending on the caliber. They do produce good quality cases. I use them exclusively in 10mm, and 454 Casull, and have a good quantity for every thing else.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 01:51:04 AM »
probably the best handgun brass made. cheapest is right on there website when you factor in there prices include shipping.
blue lives matter

Offline troy_mclure

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 09:56:54 PM »
ok, i had never heard of them before.
ordered a bunch of 45/70 from midway since starline was back ordered.

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 05:11:48 AM »
I switched to Starline several years ago in 44 mag, 44 special, and 45-70. By far the best brass I have used. Very uniform out of the box and it seems to last longer than other brands I've tried, ecspecially in 44 mag. I would use it in 45 acp, but I shoot at a outdoor range and normally loose quite a few in the grass.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.