Author Topic: 6" aluminum round stock for golf ball mortar  (Read 1149 times)

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
6" aluminum round stock for golf ball mortar
« on: March 17, 2009, 05:10:30 AM »
I've not heard anyone talk of making a mortar or cannon out of aluminum.  I have a long piece of aircraft grade round stock I was considering using for a mortar.

Is aluminum strong enough to be used for this purpose?  It's just such a pretty piece of metal, it would be a shame not to make something out of it, IF IT IS FIT.

Thank you,

NitroSteel

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 6" aluminum round stock for golf ball mortar
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:50:06 AM »
NitroSteel, this question has been covered here before, and the consensus among those most knowledgeable (George G., M & T, Dominick C., et al.) on the subject is no, aluminum should not be used to fashion BP artillery out of.

I made a search but couldn't come up with the proper threads on this topic (and I know there are more than a few), but one of the members that can explain the technical reasons why it shouldn't be used will hopefully give you a detailed answer.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 06:49:28 AM »
Aluminum is fine for making model forms for sand casting cannon, but it doesn't have the strength

be made into a working cannon. If I remember right the only hand held firearm barrel I know of that was made of aluminum

was for the Gyrojet and that fired a small rocket propelled bullet so there was no concussive force on the barrel.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:11:28 AM »
Aluminum won't handle the stress of combustion - it stretches and hardens.  Example:  shotguns with aluminum frames have steel barrels.

But it would be fun to run a CONTROLLED test to see how long one would last.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »
The strong aluminum alloys are probably strong enough for a black powder cannon barrel but the material never reaches a plateau in fatigue strength; it will eventually fail no matter what.  When eventually is I can't predict.  You would likely be safe for a hundred shots, maybe even a thousand.  Do you know how many shots it will be used for?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »
interesting thought

but if you trippled the wall thickness ??

lets say a gb size mortar with an ,5" diameter chamber 2" deep , 1,5" wall thickness .
make it the same diameter all way out to the muzzle ( 3.5" )
1.7"  bore would give .9" thickness of low pressure part of the bore .

couldnt that maybe be considered as safe ?? opinions please ??
wouldnt almost any material be useable as long as it is dimensioned right ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 12:41:49 PM »
I don't think ANYTHING in aluminum would be safe.  There is a concensus, the principles are clear.

The flexing and the corrosive elements spell doom from the beginning.

But it would be intersting to play with - moving from 'guessing based on similar experiences' what would happen to 'this IS what happened in THIS case'.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 01:41:08 PM »
For what it's worth, S&W made a special run of 200 (plus a few extra's) S&W chief specials with aluminum cylinders for the FBI about 15-20 years ago. The barrels were conventional steel. I suspect that if the rifled barrel was aluminum the rifling would die a quick and ugly death.

They were rated for 200 rounds of .38 special, and came with no warantee. They were never sold as a civilian gun due to liabiliy issues. I know they existed because I know of a chief's special that got fitted with one of the "extra" cylinders left over from the special run.

That being said, if aluminum was in general good for making gun barrels out of, I would think the US Military would be all over it. Weight is everything to them.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 02:00:34 PM »
The strong aluminum alloys are probably strong enough for a black powder cannon barrel but the material never reaches a plateau in fatigue strength; it will eventually fail no matter what.  When eventually is I can't predict.  You would likely be safe for a hundred shots, maybe even a thousand.  Do you know how many shots it will be used for?

George, you have a way with words; I'm stickin' to the recommended types of steel!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »
all copper based alloys are also sensitive for hardening until they brake after a while , ok its quite a long while  ;D still they are considered to be one of the better for cannon use . the same phenomen will probably also be with steel . so the question wouldnt be if , but when ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 02:16:51 PM »
For what it's worth, S&W made a special run of 200 (plus a few extra's) S&W chief specials with aluminum cylinders for the FBI about 15-20 years ago. The barrels were conventional steel. I suspect that if the rifled barrel was aluminum the rifling would die a quick and ugly death.

They were rated for 200 rounds of .38 special, and came with no warantee. They were never sold as a civilian gun due to liabiliy issues. I know they existed because I know of a chief's special that got fitted with one of the "extra" cylinders left over from the special run.

That being said, if aluminum was in general good for making gun barrels out of, I would think the US Military would be all over it. Weight is everything to them.

Rickk, I read an article some time ago in one of the gun mags that stated that a couple pistol manufacturers had conducted some experiments with titanium barrels, and the results showed the rifling just wouldn't hold up to the wear. I have seen both aluminum & titanium black powder smoothbore guns and mortars being sold on ebay, but that's certainly no recommendation of their safety.

Offline NitroSteel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 02:23:17 PM »
I doubt it would be shot a hundred times, but I don't want it to explode (even once).  I'll scrap the idea.  It's not worth the risk.

Nitrosteel

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 02:43:52 PM »
Wouldn't almost any material be usable as long as it is dimensioned right??

I guess it would be just as usable as modern artillery is usable but they have to keep accurate track of how many rounds and at what power level they are fired and a barrel is taken out of service once it reaches a set total amount of use.  The remaining problem with aluminum is no one has done enough testing to determine where that out of service line should be drawn.

With steel or bronze barrels, the fatigue failure line does go horizontal and there is a point where essentially an infinite number of rounds can be safely fired.  Now you will find that high power rifle barrels are well below the infinite line but they become useless long before they become dangerous from fatigue failure.  Same thing with bronze barrels; they become non-functional as useful artillery pieces before reaching the fatigue failure point.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 02:45:17 PM »
probably an smart decission
but it would be interesting to make some experiments  :o
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 02:48:46 AM »
but it would be interesting to make some experiments  :o

Problem with the various aluminum alloys (and the various conditions each can be had in) is that there's a range of properties between them that can have much more of an effect on an aluminum golf ball mortar's life expectancy than one made out of just about any old steel.

Is your test mortar going to be made out of a chunk of mystery metal that you found at the scrap yard, or a piece of 2024 that you know has been aged or solution treated to a condition where the material is less likely to crack after repeated firing?

Either way, I think any reasonably well designed aluminum golf ball mortar is still going to be working fine long after you've run out of money for powder trying to make it fail.

(Unless you load it with 1/2# of FFFFG and a lead ball)  ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 07:32:10 AM »
why use a lead ball when a 24k gold ball is 50% heavier   ;D ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 03:01:31 PM »

Uh oh.  This will degrade quickly to depleted U-235.  (pun intended).   :P
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 01:37:33 AM »

Uh oh.  This will degrade quickly to depleted U-235.  (pun intended).   :P

;D

Oh come now....We're not that dense, are we?

I'll stop at tungsten.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 02:50:31 AM »
dont forget the enviromental aspect , lead and uranium is not good .
so gold or tungsten is the way to go   ;D ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry