Author Topic: reloading nickel cases  (Read 823 times)

Offline smith85619

• Trade Count: (8)
reloading nickel cases
« on: March 17, 2009, 05:10:14 PM »
I bought some mixed brass the other day for 40 S&W and out of the 1000pcs about 100 are nickel.  Can these be reloaded the same as brass or is there something special you have to do to them?\

thanks,
smith85619
If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
Re: reloading nickel cases
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »
I really like nickel cases. They clean up real pretty, and are treated same as plain brass.

Just don't get them confused with aluminium cases (like Blazer ammo normally comes in). Some aluminium cases can be reloaded, so I've read, but I've never done any and shy away from them.

Nickel is fine, sort of classy.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 06:04:51 PM »
First, the only advantage there is in nickel plated cases is cosmetic; they are pretty. That's the upside.

The downside is that in time, i.e. repeated reloading, the nickel will begin to peel and when it does it will scratch the inside of your dies.

I load for a couple of autoloader handguns. Finding the empty nickel plated cases in grass or other native ground cover is more difficult that finding empty brass cases.

I avoid the nickel plated cases. Others may get mileage that varies.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
The reason handgun cases started being nickeld was because they don't immediately corrode if kept in leather belt loops. Cowboy shooters are about the only people who ever do that anymore. I kind of like having them because I can use them to identify particular handloads.

Offline smith85619

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »
thanks guys.  I sorted all the brass by headstamp and some of the nickel looks pretty rough.  I think I'll just discard the rough stuff and try to reload the rest.
If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Sounds like a plan - good luck and stay on the safe side.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 11:45:41 PM »
I sincerely doubt that the Nickle brass will scratch your dies..
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 11:58:35 PM »
I sincerely doubt that the Nickle brass will scratch your dies..

Me either, I've been using it for years.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:43:28 AM »
Many longs ago I had some non-carbide dies that somehow got scratched. They wreaked havoc on my brass, especially the nickel. It may well be that the nickel started the problem. Never had the problem since changing to carbide.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 03:49:22 AM »
Nickle is fine but it does dull case trimmer cutters rather fast.  Consider a trim die if you want to use it or just plan on replaceing cutters more frequently.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:28:49 PM »
I bought some mixed brass the other day for 40 S&W and out of the 1000pcs about 100 are nickel.  Can these be reloaded the same as brass or is there something special you have to do to them?\

thanks,
smith85619

NOPE, No special treatment necessary. Load 'em and shoot 'em.  Just have fun.

Personally, I separate them as I do all different head stamped brass. I agree with Bilmac, I like mine for different loads, kinda makes them immediately apparent its a different load.

I have loaded many tens of thousands of them, never seen one peel or flake. I actually have some that the nickle is work thru so they almost appear to be brass in spots. (They are brass underneath, the nickel is a plating) Nickle is tougher then brass, so technically it is harder on the dies, but I haven't worn any "good" dies out.

Sweetwater also makes a good point, they do look purdy don't they!!  ;) :D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:39:45 PM »
Sweetwater also makes a good point, they do look purdy don't they!!  ;) :D

Heck yes CW, they look really purdy with those fancy silver tipped bullets. ;)
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »
I polished up a nickel 41Mag case, seated a shiny pure linotype bullet in it, and my mother placed it in her china cabinet! She thought it was that purdy!!

If'n the Lone Ranger had a 41Mag!! It may be a tad puny, that it don't lack for purdy!! LOL!

Just did some 45Colt in nickel cases. Wonder if she'll put one with the 41Mag she already has?!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 05:56:16 AM »
Morn'in shooters,

Good news about the reversal of the Military brass distruction!

On to the "nickel" brass question.

It seems to me that the nickel cases do tend to develop neck cracks a tad faster then the plain brass cases.

Any thoughts on this???????

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »
I have the same feeling Darrel couldn't say for sure, it just seems so to me.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »
Nickle is a tad more brittle than brass and the most stressed areas will show problems faster with hot loads.  I've reloaded some nickle 357max at least 6 times with only a few problems and those were my seating problems and not the case weakness.  I don't load to max for plinking and to conserve powder so most of my plated brass last a long time.

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 07:14:48 PM »
I find the nickel cases crack much sooner than brass.

Offline John Traveler

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 12:08:45 AM »
Electroplating traps hydrogen ions within the nickel-to-brass interface and within the crystaline structure of both base and plating metal.  It is called "hydrogen embrittlement", and for critical applications, preventive measures must be taken to remove this hydrogen.  For example, for hard chromium plating onto steel as in aircraft landing gear forgings, the plated object is heated in a carefully temperature controlled oven for several hours to release the trapped hydrogen as gas.  If this is not done, the entrapped hydrogen migrates, causing stress concentrators that enable corrosion to start.  Not good for long term durability and a flight safety item.  Similar treatments are used in other aerospace applications, as well as for objects exposed to marine corrosion.

With cartridge brass cases, part of the preparation for plating involves an acid "pickle" bath to prepare the brass for the plating.  T bathhe pickle also thins the brass microscopically, and allows some of this hydrogen entrapment.  As far as I know, nickled cases are not oven heated to relieve hydrogen embrittlement, because the product is not considered to be a durable, infinitely reusable item.  Therefore, it tends to develop case mouth cracks more readily than non-nickel plated brass.
John Traveler

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 01:49:07 AM »
ive loaded tens of thousands of them and never seen them hurt a die but usually there so short lived that they dont last long enough for the nickle to start wearing off. Id say a general statement is that i get about have the life out of nickle brass as i do regular brass.
blue lives matter

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 03:33:47 PM »
Good info. thanks posters.

I sure don't have "an Issue" with the nickle "brass", but it is good to know I wasn't just seeing things when I thought the brass had a bit shorter life span then the plain jane cases.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 09:29:28 PM »
Electroplating traps hydrogen ions within the nickel-to-brass interface and within the crystaline structure of both base and plating metal.  It is called "hydrogen embrittlement", and for critical applications, preventive measures must be taken to remove this hydrogen.  For example, for hard chromium plating onto steel as in aircraft landing gear forgings, the plated object is heated in a carefully temperature controlled oven for several hours to release the trapped hydrogen as gas.  If this is not done, the entrapped hydrogen migrates, causing stress concentrators that enable corrosion to start.  Not good for long term durability and a flight safety item.  Similar treatments are used in other aerospace applications, as well as for objects exposed to marine corrosion.

With cartridge brass cases, part of the preparation for plating involves an acid "pickle" bath to prepare the brass for the plating.  T bathhe pickle also thins the brass microscopically, and allows some of this hydrogen entrapment.  As far as I know, nickled cases are not oven heated to relieve hydrogen embrittlement, because the product is not considered to be a durable, infinitely reusable item.  Therefore, it tends to develop case mouth cracks more readily than non-nickel plated brass.

Uhhhhhh, O.k. I guess.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!