Author Topic: .308 bullets "for 30-30"  (Read 627 times)

Offline bigMikeA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.308 bullets "for 30-30"
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:04:39 PM »
Cabela's website has Winchester .308 soft point jacketed bullets "for 30-30"

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/readonly-item.jsp?id=213382&itemTemplate=wish-listdetails&cmCat=Readonly

I don't recall ever having seen "for 30-30".  I assume those are flat tipped for the tubular magazine?  Haven't seen Winchester bullets before either.  Anybody have any thoughts about them?  Seem pretty reasonably priced and available.

Offline smith85619

• Trade Count: (8)
Re: .308 bullets "for 30-30"
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »
  I assume those are flat tipped for the tubular magazine? 

you would be right.  either flat point or hollow point can be used in a tubular magazine.  Or you could choose from the Hornady flex tip bullets out now.
If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »
You nailed it - they do that to take the guesswork out of it.
These are flat-tipped softpoints, not pointed softpoints. They also have lighter jackets, for the lower 30-30 velocities.

I used them in the big 30's at lower 30-30 velocities when teaching my kids the fine art of shooting. The terminal ballistics were typical 30-30 at 30-30 ranges. Results? 5 kids, 4 hunters. One young lady just isn't interested. That's ok. She has her Hunter Safety Card and we still include her in all activities where she chooses to participate - she's 21!

They were always a good deal for their intended purpose.

Regards,
Sweetwater

Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:32:57 AM »
I shoot lots of Winchester 150 gr "30-30" bullets in my M94s.  At 2300 fps out of the Carbine and 2500 fps out of the M94AE with 24" barrel they are very good on deer or anything else one would use a 30-30 for. 

Larry Gibson

Offline bigMikeA

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:19:15 AM »
Thanks guys.  Think I'll order some.  .308 bullets are awful hard to come by around here.

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:52:59 AM »
I have a 36 marlin and I thought about loading pointed bullets, BUT only load 2 rounds, one in the chamber and one in magazine. 
Does anyone else do this?

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 08:35:29 AM »
I have a 36 marlin and I thought about loading pointed bullets, BUT only load 2 rounds, one in the chamber and one in magazine. 
Does anyone else do this?

Remember, you asked, and good luck to you, BUT...

Nope - I'm not idiot-proof enough to keep from loading one behind the other. "creature of habit" comes to mind!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 10:32:02 AM »
My Dad bought some bullets, a number of years before he passed, for his 30/30. I loaded them for him but they just never shot like his favorite Federal factory load. These were Hornady 170gr FPs. Well, I found them in the back of a draw, while searching for something, one nite and decided to try 'em in my 308. I loaded some and took them with me the next time I went to the range. They shot a lot better than I expected ,but I never tried hunting with them. I didn't know whether they'd blow up on impact or what, so I just used them to play with.

I'd buy the ones ya found and bang away!

HWD

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »
Cabela's website has Winchester .308 soft point jacketed bullets "for 30-30"

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/readonly-item.jsp?id=213382&itemTemplate=wish-listdetails&cmCat=Readonly

I don't recall ever having seen "for 30-30".  I assume those are flat tipped for the tubular magazine?  Haven't seen Winchester bullets before either.  Anybody have any thoughts about them?  Seem pretty reasonably priced and available.

I agree with others who posted these flat points are for the tubular mags of typical leveraction rifles. ALSO, they have lighter construction to relyably expand at modest 30-30 velocities.

A little story: 
  I bought my pop a savage '99 in 308. He wanted a flat or round nosed bullet. I had some Speer 150FP's I was nto using so we loaded up a box. The load was not full power 308 but far surpassed 30-30 balistics. It shot well enough so he sited it and went hunting. He had one of the biggest rack bucks he has seen walk up on him. He took a shot as the buck was still facing him, head on. Boom, down went the deer, then just as fast, he sprang up and bolted... Some blood and hair, but it quickly peterd out some 30yards from the impact. The deer was never to be seen again. We looked and looked. Even enlisting the neighbors the following afternoon. 7-8 people looking for 4-5 hours, still no luck. The following weekend, another buck walked up and offered a shot. He waited for a perfect broadside shot. Boom, this deer didn't go down, but bolted. He levered and shot him again running. The second shot hit the top of the spine and dropped the buck in his tracks. Upon examination that Speer bullet totally discintigrated inside the deer. No exits. Even that second shot, left one hellatious wound across the top of the back.
 Later we discovered another Speer bullet. The 165RN DESIGNED for the 308/30-06 ballistics. No deer get away from this rifle anymore... ::) ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
"Cabela's website has Winchester .308 soft point jacketed bullets "for 30-30"

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/readonly-item.jsp?id=213382&itemTemplate=wish-listdetails&cmCat=Readonly   "

The "Winchester" bullets in that link are Remington.  Even so, Rem Core-Lokt bullets are as good as many high grade hunting bullets and usually shoot quite well.  Seems few magazine writters mention Remington bullets so they tend to be overlooked by many who follow the gun rags.  But they do quite well for those who know them and the prices are right.

Both of the .308 bullets in Cabela's list are supposed to be for ".30-30" but I believe that to be a misprint, they are both SP types, pointy bullets, not the needed flat or round ones for a tubular magizine.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »
I took the liberty to copy from the Cabelas link and post below:

.30 cal. .308" diameter (30-30)
150 Gr. SPCL
170 Gr. SPT
.30 cal., .308" diameter 
150 Gr. PSPCL
165 Gr. PSPCL
180 Gr. PSPCL

The picture shown with the "all-encompassing ad" was of PSPCL bullets by Remington. The bullets designated for the 30-30 are in fact Remingtons with round noses for tubular magazines. If not, they would be labeled PSPCL like the next set of entries below the 30-30 and being for 308/30-06/etc as well as being the same as in the picture. 

I'd call it misleading advertising.  We have to be careful how we intepret the factory abreviations.

I happen to love the Remington bullets and shoot both the SPCL's and the PSPCL's in box magazines and only the SPCL's in tubular magazines. They surely work well for me.

CW- Great story. That little Savage is a dandy deer rifle. Nearly as bad as that, I basically wrote off using Speer bullets on anything bigger than antelope when a Maine Whitetail Buck absorbed 4 of them under 75 yards. The last being at 10ft, was not a Speer. The Speer 150gr 8mm bullets left flesh wounds - not any penetration at all. Period. That last one was #5, hardcast, and came from my 41Mag Blackhawk.

Speer has changed a lot in the last 30 years, but I'm still leary of them, and have enjoyed some real successes with my cast stuff, and those Remingtons.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 01:39:47 AM »
Speer has changed a lot in the last 30 years, but I'm still Leary of them, and have enjoyed some real successes with my cast stuff, and those Remington's.

Regards,
Sweet water

I agree, I too have sworn off the 150 8MM slugs. Just never liked the "lite" bullets in the 8mm....  We found a great bullet in the 30cal, 165Gr Round nose bullet. Its been long discontinued, but we scoured the Internet and found 20 boxes on a shelf in back-wood, USA.  ??? ::) I bought them ALL!!!  ;D ;D We have shot dozens of deer with them since, all with large entrance AND exit holes, thru bole and just ribs, no matter. They have also worked in 300 sav, 308 and 30-06 rifles equally as well.

I TOO REALLY LIKE THE REMINGTON BULLETS. Best part is they can be found CHEAP!!!!!  Cabala's and Midway will have them for close to HALF of what you will pay for Hornady, Nosler or Speer bullets of the same design. I recently loaded some 9mm's. I wanted a couple hundred HP's but didn't want to spend the $45-50 bucks to get them. I found Rem, 115 Hp's for $11.00 per hundred @ Cabela's. I loaded up a hundred 243's for my buddies kid to practice with. Again, Rem 100 Gr psp's got a bag for @ Cabela's for $15.99.  Don't overlook the Remington bullets!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.