Author Topic: Colt Walker barrel stuck on frame  (Read 838 times)

Offline alan33rice

• Trade Count: (0)
Colt Walker barrel stuck on frame
« on: March 19, 2009, 01:33:03 PM »
Just got a nice used Walker. Name on bottom of barrel : A.UBERTIITALY   Mechanics seem fine.   If you told me it was unfired, I'd believe you.   BUT I can't take it down.   The barrel assembly seems stuck on the pin   I have only been able to move it a couple of mm.   Yes, the wedge is all the way out.   Seems to be some sticky stuff on what I CAN see of the pin.   Have been dousing it with Kroil.   Took off the grips, wiped off all the oil, and "cooked" it an hour at 250 degrees (thinking that might soften the 'glue').   Getting nowhere.   Do not want to be rough and pry at it.   Ideas for a newbie from all you gunsmiths?
                                          Grumpy Grandpa

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Re: Colt Walker barrel stuck on frame
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 03:28:04 PM »
Are you rotating the cylinder so that the rammer head rests on the web between the chambers and then using the lever to remove the barrel?
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 03:14:11 AM »
Are you rotating the cylinder so that the rammer head rests on the web between the chambers and then using the lever to remove the barrel?

When I had a Walker copy and a couple of dragoon clones, this was the only way to remove the barrel.  It really doesn't take all that much force, and back in the '70's various different gunwriters (they were a better lot back then) all seemed to mention this method as being the way to take the Walker barrel off.

Offline alan33rice

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 03:37:33 AM »
Thanks, guys.   Problem solved (just one last old college try and apart it came).   Gunk cleaned off and works fine.
                                    Grumpy Grandpa :)

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 09:46:26 AM »
Alas, it sounds hopelessly damaged.
I'll take it off your hands for $10 ... and even pay shipping!  ;D
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."