Author Topic: differences in loads listed  (Read 687 times)

Offline smith85619

• Trade Count: (8)
differences in loads listed
« on: March 19, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »
I now have 4 loading manuals, Hornady, Hodgdon, Barnes, and Speer.  (I still haven't got the Lyman, but it's on its way).  I have noticed that the starting load in one manual may be the max load or more in another manual for the same powder, bullet weight, etc.,.  Is this because they use a diiferent gun to test the loads?  somebody enlighten me, I am one to err on the side of caution and start with the lowest load in any manual, but how can there be this big of a difference?
If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: differences in loads listed
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:09:04 AM »
It's a lot of things not just one. They use different bullets, different lots of components and often different brands of things such as cases and primers. Some use pressure barrels and some use firearms. Not all use the same means to measure pressure either.

What it all means is that load is what it is in that test barrel only and your results are going to vary.

Some bullets create higher pressures than others as do some primers and some brands of brass. Pressure barrels are normally at SAAMI minimum specs and thus have higher pressure than say a rifle barrel.

Reloading manuals are guides only and you have to decided how to correctly interpret that guide in developing your loads for your firearms.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 06:33:47 AM »
Until you gain a bit of experience in reloading, I would STRONGLY recommend going with the most conservative load to start with.

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 06:39:23 AM »
I found the same think you did,I have 4 manuals and still go on line to the powder companys list
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 08:15:23 AM »
That's why the manuals are "guides" not the "gospel".

Larry Gibson

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:10:03 AM »
+1 for what Graybeard wrote.

One of the best examples I have is my Remington 700, 22-inch barrel in 270 Winchester, and my Savage 110CL, 22-inche barrel in 270 Winchester.  The ammunition I was shooting was a lot of fifty loads in new Winchester brass, WW primers, and 140-grain Silvertip bullets.  The powder was WMR.  I had four targets set up on a large backing.

I setup my Chrony fifteen feet from the muzzle and fired five shots from the Remington, and pull it down to let the barrel cool.  I immediately switch to the Savage and fired five shots.  After each shot I had put the rifle down a short time to record the results.

The outcome was the Savage averaged 30 fps more velocity then the Remington.  The Savage was slightly more accurate.  Both actions are glass bedded.

The difference in these two rifles appears to be consistent.  On another occasion the load was 150-grain Hornady Spire point pushed by H4831 and CCI200 primer.  The average velocity from the Remington was 2830 fps and the average from the Savage was 2870.  My 2008 buck was taken with this load using the Remington 700.

The different also shows up in rifles of the same make using factory ammunition.  A time back I purchased a few boxes of Winchester-Western 150-grain ammunition for the .270 Winchester.  This was for those times when work interfered with my reloading time.  I tried it in my Remington 760 and the accuracy was not there and I used the above Hornady load to take my deer.  I pulled the ammunition out a few years later after putting a new scope on the Remington 700.  It proved to be accurate enough that I set the remaining boxes aside for hunting.  At the time of purchase the load was advertised at 2900 fps.  As I recall this was out of a 26-inch barrel.  At 6700 feet elevation, which is in the range, that I normally hunt the WW load produced an average velocity around 2727 fps. 

I used Sierra Bullets Infinity program to create a new data card for the WW load.  My brother has been so impressed by the performance of this factory bullet that he had bought a thousand of these bullets in bulk from Midway.  The months between this activity and deer season I had spent over 90-days working all over the West.  There had been no time for additional loading the Remington 700 was my go to rifle with the WW factory loads.

I spotted three Mule deer bucks, and successfully took one at just over 250+ yards with one shot in the chest.  The WW PP penetrated over 25-inches of deer and stopped in the fifth rib after cutting the four before into.  The bullet retained 74% of its weight, and expanded to 75-caliber.

I took a buck this year using the described Hornady load.  I shot the buck just behind the shoulder at 32.5 yards.  At point of impact the bullet was traveling about 2770 fps. Watching in the scope I could see the hide on the buck ripple like water in a still pond after a rock has been tossed into it.  The bullet created a 2+-inch hole in the off shoulder when exiting.  What amazed me was the damage on the entrance side. 

A few lessons learned are that highest velocity is not always critical for success for most of my hunting.  Tying these experiences in with over fifty years of using the 270 Winchester I feel the 150 and 140-grain bullets produce better results with a higher percent of exits then the 130-grain bullet.

I have loaded a lot of Remington Bronze Pt bullets and killed a good number of bucks over the years with it.  Either they dump the buck on the spot or in a few feet.  I have never had this bullet exit a deer; fragmentation is the norm with massive damage to the heart/lung region, and it might encompass the liver.  The 130-grain C-L normally offers similar results with a larger portion of the bullet being recover in the far side. 

In the early years with the 270 a brother normally shared my ammunition and he was more successful then I.  After spending a few hours of tracking a buck shot in the lungs with a Bronze P.T.  I was ready for a change.  The bullet did the job but made it into a nasty brush-oak thicket.  I spent time crawling on my hands and knees looking for that guy.  It was a tough recovery, and it took a few more similar experiences before I switched. 

When I was in high school I had started loading the 270 with IMR4064.  In a few years I switched to surplus 4831.  The surplus is now duplicated with NEWLY MANUFACTURED H4831, which is not to be mixed up with IMR4831.  At the time I developed my loads I was trying to achieve factory velocity downsized using a 22-inch barrel.  In 1970 I did not have a Chrony, but recently I had a box of shells I loaded with Remington 130-grain C-L, pushed by 60-grains of surplus 4831.  I loaded this ammunition in 1970 in once fired Remington cases.  I fired the old loads across my Chrony and obtain an average velocity of 3050 fps, which is close to today’s published velocity. (My velocities are taken 15-feet from the muzzle.)

I started with a Remington 760, 270 Winchester, and later purchased a Savage 110CL, in 270 Winchester.  In theory the 760 became my heavy cover rifle, worked fine with 4831 pushing 150-grain bullets.  The Savage 110CL became my mountain rifle, and antelope rifle using 130-grain bullets.  I switched to 130-grain Hornady SP bullets in the Savage pushed by surplus 4831 or 60.5-grains of WW785.  The Hornady bullet was recover from a California Mule deer shot at 145-yards.  The buck was shot behind the shoulder and ran 15 to 20-yards and flopped over.

My photograph is not the best but the bullet demonstrated good weight retention and expansion.  When Hornady came out with its 140-grain BT for the .270 I did a lot of load development with 4831, WW785, and later with WMR.  My favorite load with WW785 came out of the Hornady manual and produced 3030 fps out of the Savage.  The 140-grain bullet has anchor the deer on the spot or within 20-yards, none of the bullets have been recovered.

My middle of the road favorite H4831 powder charge with a 150-grain bullet from late 1960 is now a maximum load. My 130-grain H4831 is now at maximum.  When I started out Sierra was the most conservative manual.  Lyman was highly trusted because it sold equipment not bullets or powder.  My earliest Lyman manual dates back to 1963.  The key message in all the manuals was to start low and work up.  I followed that advice, I might have a target load, but I would start by loading five rounds and then work up in one-grain increments and dropping to .001 increments when nearing maximum.  This paid off when developing my first loads with the 140-grain Hornady. 

At the time I purchased the 140-grain Hornady I could not find any published data using H4831.  I started low using 150-grain data and worked up there.  My goal was to reach 58-grains.  The published maximum in the Hornady 7th edition is 59.9 grains.  I was seeing pressure signs before I reached 58-grains and backed off to 57.4 grains of H4831.  I pulled the bullets in the 58-grain test loads. 

I have since abandon H4831 for my 140-grain bullets and use now discontinued WW785 and WMR. 

A while back a friend tried a different approach when loading for a new rifle, the approach resulted in facial burns when he blew a primer.  Rather then starting low with the cartridge he was loading he dropped the maximum published loaded a grain or so and then loaded a large number of rounds.  He immediately started a grain below the published maximum; he did not stop with the warning signs of a slightly sticky bolt from the first rounds.  The 3rd or 4th round blew the primer and hot gases escaped into his face.  Fortunately he was wearing safety glasses.

I appreciate him sharing his experience because it is a good lesson learned and relearned.  I am thankful he was wearing safety glasses because they saved his eyes, but I have no heart felt sympathy, this was a preventable accident.  He knows better, he is not a beginning loader, but a veteran loader who did not follow the basic rules.  His miss adventure is a reminder to me; follow the rules.   These rules are not enforced by anybody, but your body and your pocket book will pickup the tab. 

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 06:15:50 PM »
...What it all means is that load is what it is in that test barrel only and your results are going to vary.
Reloading manuals are guides only and you have to decided how to correctly interpret that guide in developing your loads for your firearms.

Which brings up another important point that IMO is continually abused on the Internet forums.   Instead of asking other people for "pet" loads for whatever cartridge/whatever firearm, learn right from the get-go to determine a safe starting place yourself and then work up your own loads that are safe and accurate in your firearms.   IOW, what is safe in their firearm may not be safe in yours and what is accurate in their firearm may not be accurate in yours.   No two firearms have the exact same chamber, and seldom (if ever) could you match all components by lot numbers of those pet loads.   A safe starting place is readily available for all but a few of the wildcat cartridges either on-line on many websites or in printed manuals, so only the lazy ask for them.

I don't hand my loads out... not even to the new owner when I sell a firearm.   I don't know what their reloading ethics or regeim is.  They'll get what components I use for my load and what I know is a safe starting point for that firearm with those components if they want it, but they'll have to find the actual load themselves.

L.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 06:37:30 PM »
The main reasons for the discrepancies, IME, are that:

1)  Powder variation lot-to-lot is much larger than people realize.  Not large in percentage terms, but enough to make, for example, as much as a 1.5-2 grain difference in charge weights between W760 & H414, which are the exact same powder off the exact same line in the exact same factory.  Only difference is the label they stick on the bottle.  I have a load manual with exactly this difference in the 243 Win and the different loads result in almost exactly the same pressures and velocities.

2)  Some manuals use pressure barrels, which are normally cut to minimum SAAMI specifications, while other manuals use actual production firearms which normally have a bit more spacious chambers.  It's surprising to most folks how much difference this can make in terms of pressure.

The components used make a noticeable difference, too, but IMO the 2 reasons above are the biggest factors.  Primers, interestingly, can make a significant difference in peak pressure without noticeably altering velocity according to an article in the Swift (?  A-Square?) manual.

Offline smith85619

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 09:03:45 AM »
great stuff guys, that is what I like about this forum.  In my short reloading time, I have found that the part that intrigues me the most is loading specifically for MY guns and looking for that 'sweet spot' powder charge.  I do not own a chrony, yet, but it doesn't matter to me to try to load up to the max charge, I want those 5 shots to be in the same hole if possible.  before I start a loading session, I look at all the manuals to compare loads and I also have a very detailed notebook for loads I have already tried.  I realize that most of you guys have forgot more about reloading than I will ever know, and I do appreciate the common sense and level heads I have found on Graybeard Outdoors Forum.

Keep it up! 

smith85619
If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »
GB++
Loading manuals are necessary guidelines to 'help' keep us safe. Used as such they are, at worst, a headache of apparently conflicting information. In reality, they are a library of information that would take decades of individual r&d at our personal loading bench, and still come up short as most of us have precious little means of reporting pressure - in any system. So, we take them as use them as intended.

I wish I'd bought my Chrony when they were first available! My Dad thought it was a total waste of money. "Why do we care what the absolute velocity is?" was his question/statement. Anyway, I bought one. What we really learned amounts to, "there is no absolute velocity."  There are enough variables in the loading/shooting process that there is a range of velocities and an average velocity associated with a load, but no absolute velocity which can be absolutely reproduced. It is more of a statistical evaluaton of the load. I don't use mine to get to maximum velocity for my rifle, but more to determine when I reach my working velocity - to help determine load consistancy and performance level.

One of the "tests" I performed was "thrown" loads vs "weighed" loads. Even using some stick powders, which throw terribly for me, I found though the Extreme Spread and group size were greater for the "thrown" loads, the average velocity was actually very close to the "weighed" loads. The ball powders, conversly, threw so accurately there was no real difference on the Chrony or on the targert.
With careful loading practices, one can also analyze the data produced by the Chrony and "see" if a powder is burning properly. I have been able to weed out a few powder/bullet combinations that were listed, but did not work well in my rifle for whatever reason. True, they all went bang and the bullets went downrange. Some went closer to the same hole than others. They all put meat in the freezer. 
Just one more element of the fun of handloading.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline wncchester

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 03:30:40 PM »
"Which brings up another important point that IMO is continually abused on the Internet forums.   Instead of asking other people for "pet" loads for whatever cartridge/whatever firearm, learn right from the get-go to determine a safe starting place yourself and then work up your own loads"

AMEN!

I refuse to suggest anything to anyone, not only because MY data may not be safe in their gun but indvidual rifles vary too much AND details of how a load is done may well make a significant difference.  Saying I use a 45.3 gr. charge of IMR-9999 for a Sierra 56 gr. flat point isn't enough.  It makes a difference what case I use, which primer, how deeply it's seated.  Not to mention my rifles actual chamber differnce, tight or loose, how it's throated and if the barrel is loose or tight by a half thousant around the nominal .224" groove diameter. 

The whole idea of a pet load being much of a "short cut" for anyone else to use vergies on silly to  me.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 05:17:44 PM »
"Which brings up another important point that IMO is continually abused on the Internet forums.   Instead of asking other people for "pet" loads for whatever cartridge/whatever firearm, learn right from the get-go to determine a safe starting place yourself and then work up your own loads"

AMEN!

I refuse to suggest anything to anyone, not only because MY data may not be safe in their gun but indvidual rifles vary too much AND details of how a load is done may well make a significant difference.  Saying I use a 45.3 gr. charge of IMR-9999 for a Sierra 56 gr. flat point isn't enough.  It makes a difference what case I use, which primer, how deeply it's seated.  Not to mention my rifles actual chamber differnce, tight or loose, how it's throated and if the barrel is loose or tight by a half thousant around the nominal .224" groove diameter. 

The whole idea of a pet load being much of a "short cut" for anyone else to use vergies on silly to  me.

Another AMEN, though I may have been guilty at one time or another. I Repent!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 12:16:31 PM »
First off , I agree with what everyone has said....that being said , smith brings up a good point.  All of us had to start out....so we did what was suggested, buy several manuals from reputable companies.  Now we start to compare manuals...as he said some are so far off....example: I was working up a load for a 454, one manual gave me a starting load of 30 grains of 2400 for a particular bullet....another said 28 grains was MAX for the same bullet , same powder....the only differences were primer and brass...Yes, I realize brass can make a difference..same as primers, they can make a difference but there shouldn't be a 5-8 grain difference. I e-mailed Hornady on this very problem , they shot an e-mail back to me stating that all the loads listed were safe in their tests. Seems to me there should be a way to standardize some of the variables. ( ie barrel length , vented or not , etc ) It is a nightmare for the novice reloader....trying to figure all the variables.  I have three manuals , usually two of the three will somewhat agree on a particular load for a given caliber ( remember, they have to be using the same bullet , powder and test barrel ) then I ignor the third....maybe next time it will be turned around, and you'll ignor one of the other ones...least thats the way I do it.....I haven't blown anything up yet ! ;D      Good Luck