Author Topic: Differents in primer  (Read 299 times)

Offline cridertj

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
Differents in primer
« on: March 20, 2009, 12:18:18 PM »
I was wondering if there is much different in primers? What i mean is if my book says they used cci and all i have is fed. Would it make much different if i am not loading max loads?

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Differents in primer
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 12:26:23 PM »
some books say it does and some only list small rifle etc but no brand name . Some books list them by brand and how hot they compare to others . I have mixed them because i could not get what was called for . I always reduce the load ( some say 10% ) then work up . I won't lie so lets say that sounds good .
I do know primers affect accy. as do other componets .
I don't change from standard to mag. but then Winchester has primers that are sutable for both and list both on the box . I do use these both ways .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 12:50:48 PM »
Take a look at these 2 links and decide for yourself , but I think it does .  ;)

http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:17:09 PM »
i looked at both , the second i have seen some say case mesuring tells little , i don't know . primer thickness is very true as military primers are thicker as an example . Saw an article once where the ATF used speical primers to make guns slam fire then called them machine guns . They said fed made them again i don't know if it is true . I watched a film on bench rest primers they are more consistant due to the experince of the man running the machine . I agree there is a difference ( i noted they effect accy.) but if you read the top name loading books you will notice they all stick to the products they use . some use the same brand primers . some use the same powder . I have checked books to find say a 158 gr. lead bullet by two manf. with all the same componets but the bullet brand name . then check the next one and they list primer size with out brand name. We all know some "TYPE" primers work best with certian typs of powder . With the lack of componets on the shelf it will be a pratice many may be forced to try . it may be as simple as a call to the manf. to see if a subsitute exist as books only have so much room .
stimpylu32 , those were good articles .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 02:39:07 PM »
I read this on another site.

If an when you start to get your loads close to the maximum, you should consider using primers with thick cups. The Federal 205M IS NOT one of the primers with the thickest cup available. The three primers available for small rifle with the thickest cups are: CCI 450, CCI BR-4, and Remington 7 1/2. Using a primer with a thick cup may just save you from some blowback through a pierced primer.
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE