Author Topic: Are there any new primers being made?????  (Read 6311 times)

Offline ShadowMover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Are there any new primers being made?????
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2009, 07:04:27 AM »
My advice is to save your old primers after you de-prime your cases.  I know it's not practical to reload them now, but in a few years you may wish you had.  Thousands of them will fit in a dry plastic soda bottle. They don't take up much space. They are a rather simple device, consisting of a cap, priming, paper or foil, and an anvil.  They can be taken apart with primitive tools and the dent from the firing pin removed with a flattened drill bit or rod.

The priming material is a little tougher, but is do-able. I'd be interested if anyone has actually done this and could share some insight or experience.

I do realize this is nor going to be a popular for most, but it is just to explore options and ideas.

I bought a device sold many years ago for making percussion cap primers out of soda can aluminum and rolls of toy caps. I must say, it worked quite well.

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2009, 07:05:04 AM »
double post removed

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2009, 11:29:32 AM »
i wish i could have stockpiled before now, but i was only now able to afford to start reloading, and have a place to reload.

i feel lucky to have scored 2k small rifle, and 2k large rifle primers.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2009, 01:12:09 PM »
I stopped by a local store this morning and bought two pounds of H110 & two pounds of IMR 30-31.  I was very shocked to see either on the shelf and there was still some there after I left.  I also bought a box of 9mm bullets 115gr gold dots.  I've never reloaded them before and figured I'd give them a shot since they were the only 9mm bullets on the shelf.  I'm pretty well maxed out on what I plan on hording/stockpiling.  I've about reached the point where any more stockpiling isn't going to do me any good.  I don't believe the end of the world is coming and if it does, we'd all be better served by reading our bibles.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2009, 02:32:55 PM »
The problem for the "hoarders" is this. If a ban comes then you will submit or be in violation. As a good citizen you will submit or go to prison. If you do not submit and are not imprisoned then you will be a terrorist. Those are the facts.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2009, 03:05:25 PM »
As per submitting, we can be sheep, or we can be sheep dogs.

The liberals desire that we be sheep, as sheep dogs have the ability to do a bit of thinking and therefore might do something on their own without the Ok of those presently in charge.

If CHRIST doesn't come back and set things right before hand, those who wish me to be a good little "citizen" (ie. sheep) will continue to press for my compliance to whatever new rule they decide is best for ALL the sheep today.

Because I am not "PC" and lack in that area greatly according to the mind set of the left wingers who wish to make all choices for me, I will resist those who desire to force me into their mold.

I don't seek it, and sure have no desire to see such things happen, but this would not be the first country in which God fearing citizens were force to submit like sheep or die.

The "Ant and the Grasshopper" story above contains much wisdom. I have never equated Ants and Sheep Dogs, but there seems to be a good resemblence between the Grasshoppers and Sheep in their willingness to look to others for their own welfare.

Keep em coming!

CDOC

300 Winmag

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2009, 03:12:12 PM »
hoarders  are  just trying  to stimulate the economy
and  doing a very good job of it at that

if  you can't beat them join  them

you can rebuild primers with strike any where matches....i have heard but not done
i will just buy  another K and not even try  it
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2009, 04:26:01 PM »
The problem for the "hoarders" is this. If a ban comes then you will submit or be in violation. As a good citizen you will submit or go to prison. If you do not submit and are not imprisoned then you will be a terrorist. Those are the facts.
Maybe this discussion needs to move to the Pot Belly Stove forum.  That said, with all do respect, civil disobedience does not equate to terrorism.  Furthermore, victims of terrorism, all of us, take serious offense to such nonsense.

I just wish Federal would catch up, because they are the softest, and seem to function best in light trigger double action rigs.  We'll know in a few months what is cooking on all this stuff.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
My advice is to save your old primers after you de-prime your cases.  I know it's not practical to reload them now, but in a few years you may wish you had.  Thousands of them will fit in a dry plastic soda bottle. They don't take up much space. They are a rather simple device, consisting of a cap, priming, paper or foil, and an anvil.  They can be taken apart with primitive tools and the dent from the firing pin removed with a flattened drill bit or rod.

The priming material is a little tougher, but is do-able. I'd be interested if anyone has actually done this and could share some insight or experience.

I do realize this is nor going to be a popular for most, but it is just to explore options and ideas.

I bought a device sold many years ago for making percussion cap primers out of soda can aluminum and rolls of toy caps. I must say, it worked quite well.

If I remember correct, the Afghans would reprime primers with strike anywhere match heads. Maybe my memory is wrong, but I think it is not.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline troy_mclure

• Avid Poster
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2009, 06:35:50 PM »
yep, i saw the iraqis doing the same thing.
they would mix powdered match heads and i think cordite. they were using a lee loader to knock them out at an amazing rate.

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2009, 06:08:54 AM »
I have been around for a couple primer shortages, the last one just a few years back.
The way I look at it is, if I'm on the short fall the first time it's the Manufactures fault.
The second time it's my fault for not having the forside to be prepared if it happens again.
Well it's here again and I have 20K + in dry storage.
I don't call it hording I call it looking ahead for tough times.

LP.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2009, 07:50:24 AM »
I come down with you Lead Pot,

As I have already stated, the smart man keeps his pantry well stocked.

Those on the other side are the ones who think we should always share with those who expect everyone else to carry them, you know spread the wealth around equally, EVEN when they have not paid their fair share or anything at all for that matter.

They probably think we should allow Palosie to equalize all things. The Ol'take from them who worked/saved/laid up a stock and give to those who haven't.  Left wingers and aliens included.

Sorry about those who are just starting in the reloading area, but for the rest of us, there has been plenty of time and supply to easly be stocked up.

For those who are now crying "foul" or "stop the hording," maybe they should have learned their lesson when Slick Willie came to office.

Let us hope that it will not be too late to learn from this one.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2009, 07:54:40 AM »
This is the first time since I've started reloading that primers have ever been hard to come by.  At the same time though bullets, powder, & brass are all also hard to come by.  I never thought I'd see all that, but here it is and I'm learning my lesson.  I'll admit that this time around I wasn't stocked up, but next time around I'll have my reloading inventory up to speed.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2009, 08:27:21 AM »
This is the first time since I've started reloading that primers have ever been hard to come by. At the same time though bullets, powder, & brass are all also hard to come by.

Hardest for me to find is small rifle primers. I've got all the small pistol, magnum small pistol, and large rifle, that I need, but those small rifle primers are just plain gone. Can still get all the powder I need. Brass is getting harder to find but I'm pretty stocked up on that.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2009, 09:08:09 AM »
LOL, I'm just the opposite on primers.  I've got everything I need except small pistol. 

Anymore, the biggest thing I want to find is a brick or two of 22LR so I can afford to shoot.

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2009, 09:19:48 AM »
I have a hunch that sometime in the next few weeks the shortages will end.  I was able to buy a couple of hundred 45 Colt cartridge cases from MidwayUSA earlier this week, but they still had a limit of three hundred per purchase.  I note that the powder scare a couple of weeks ago is now available. I have gotten a hold of some primers (enough to get by for a couple of months.) There seems to be a good supply of bullets available. YEP, unless something happens I have a hunch the shortages are about to end.  FOR NOW.

I would like to see an authoritative explanation of what happened. 

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2009, 11:10:56 AM »
Seems to be on most gun related stuff.  I ordered a set of mould handles for a 4 holer from Lyman early in December.  It still isn't here.  I keep checking and they keep telling me when they get them, they will ship them.

I have components to survive my lifetime but am short for play so while I'm not worried, I am frustrated.

Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Idaho_Elk_Huntr

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2009, 08:34:47 AM »
Primers are shipping. Back orders are slowly being filled. I know thios because I received a shipment this morning!!    ;D

If your not on the back order list with one of the big companies, dont expect to get any from them until they are caught up and that could take a while.

Offline Pumah25

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2009, 09:01:50 AM »

No, if you do not submit and are not imprisoned you will be a patriot. If we lose those who write the history may refer to you as a terrorist but those who remember will know the truth.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2009, 09:06:45 AM »
I don't call it hording I call it looking ahead for tough times.

Exactly.    ;)

Been stocking up on all supplies whenever prices are good and the supplies are unlimited for decades.   So when these shortages hit they don't bother me in the least. I still have new primers, bullets and brass bought up to 10-12 years ago on hand, enough to last several more years at least.  

If you want to call that hoarding (even though they were bought over several years and when there was no shortages at the time), fine.   Better than being caught short with your pants down because you didn't plan ahead.  

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Pumah25

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2009, 10:17:40 AM »
I just got into reloading about a year ago. Just wanted cheaper handgun ammo. I had a friend warning me that we were headed for shortages before the election. I listened but not quite soon enough. I figured it would be the 223 and 308 stuff that would disappear. Hell its everything. Had to get a couple of things (guns) first. Now instead I am buying components for the guns I already have. I wish I had even one extra year of reloading under my belt before this occurred. I spent most of the first year figuring out what worked best for me and for my guns before I stocked up. Now when I am ready to stock I can't find stuff. I went to a gun show last weekend and did not even look at a gun. I never thought I could say that. I dropped 200-300 on components. I guess I am lucky some guys can't find components to spend money on.  :-\

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2009, 12:09:02 AM »

OH NO!  This is the VERY reason the Constitution was written the way it was.  Any government that attempts this is no longer legal and is to be overthrown!!  Yep, I know that they have chipped away at it, a little piece here and a little chunk there but the basic premise is still there.  The second amendment isn't there to make sure you can compete or hunt, it is there to protect you from your government.

Maybe this discussion needs to move to the Pot Belly Stove forum.

Quit trying to snatch the topic, get your own.  This is right where it belongs, filling in the time we'd be reloading if we had components.

Butler Ford

Offline Steve P

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2009, 09:13:55 AM »
As a good citizen you will submit or go to prison.

Since there will be an aweful lot of us un-submit-tees I wonder what state they will use as the prison.  There is no building or town big enough.  Alcatraz is way too small and Cuba is already taken.  I vote on Hawaii.  Surrounded by water.  Easy to patrol.  Make us grow pineapples and go fishing for food.  Maybe we can raise chickens, turkeys, or some other short flight bird also.  Live out life as a chicken farmer on the big island........ ???

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2009, 11:03:53 AM »
hunt pigs with a spear like back in the day
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
Quit trying to snatch the topic, get your own.  This is right where it belongs, filling in the time we'd be reloading if we had components.

:D :D :D :D :D

You're killing me ;D.  As a hoarder, I had an opportunity to tease my buddies at the range about them about selling them primers for a buck a piece.

I thought it was pretty funny until I saw 20 armed men NOT smiling :o

;D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »
In some cases I don't think that hoarding/hedging is the problem.  Case in point, try to find .357 158gr-180gr JHP or JHC bullets.  Last I checked Midway had two 100 pack of 158JSP.  BUT there are massive stocks of cast and FMJ bullets available.
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2009, 04:05:31 PM »

:D :D :D :D :D

You're killing me ;D.  As a hoarder, I had an opportunity to tease my buddies at the range about them about selling them primers for a buck a piece.

I thought it was pretty funny until I saw 20 armed men NOT smiling :o

;D

I can picture this..... and THAT is FUNNY!!!!!  Thank you!

BF
Butler Ford

Offline Carl l.

• Avid Poster
  • Hunting,Fishing,Camping and Woodworking
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2009, 04:14:46 PM »
Went on a fishing trip the first of the week. Stopped in a gun shop and they just got in a order of reloading supplies. He got Win. and Rem. primers. They were $5.00 per 100. No CCI's. He said that primer took a jump in price. Carl L.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2009, 04:16:30 PM »
In some cases I don't think that hoarding/hedging is the problem.  Case in point, try to find .357 158gr-180gr JHP or JHC bullets.  Last I checked Midway had two 100 pack of 158JSP.  BUT there are massive stocks of cast and FMJ bullets available.

I think things may be improving, though I'm not positive.  I went to Gamaliel today and they had Large Rifle Primers and a few Small Magnum Pistol (which I did get a few of  ::) )  I went for the purpose of small rifle which the young lady told me she thought would be on the truck yesterday afternoon-they were AWOL.  What little they had in handgun was odd size...  ie. 160gr and 300 gr 45's.  Still no 4350 or 4895 but just so I could bring something home, I got a # of 231.  
Butler Ford

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2009, 08:39:50 PM »
I went onto the local gun shop today and was flabbergasted to see that Black Hills 75gr .223 ammo was $77.00 a box.  I have dealt wth the owner exclusively for over 12 years and I had to practically beg him to sell me a box (1k) of small rifle primer for the "old" price of $46.00!  The problem is that I live in Hawaii andeven if I could find supplies on the "mainland" the shipping is outrageous.  Well, live and learn...
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.