Author Topic: Are there any new primers being made?????  (Read 6316 times)

Offline smithbm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Are there any new primers being made?????
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »
I'm torn on the price gouging that's going on.  On one hand, it seems kind of greedy; however, you have to remember that they aren't receiving and selling as many as they used to, so it's kind of necessary to raise prices to stay in business.  When the supply picks up, they'll have my business again.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2009, 04:18:19 PM »
what is the diference between  greed  and ambition??

the  answer to me seems  to be in the amount of  invy  involved

the diference  i gouging  and  mark up  is  whether  you are buying  or selling

no  one  is  finding fault  with  the  ones  with NOTHING  to  offer  you
and  the  ones  the  give  you  the  FREEDOM  to  aquire  what  you  ned  or want

besides  maybe they don't  REALLY  want  to  sell......but  for  $75......some one  may  REALLY need  them
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2009, 02:29:12 AM »
put it in perspective , for $75.00 you get 1000 primers or 75 - 16 oz bottles of drinking water or 40 gallons of gas .

think about it !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2009, 05:29:01 AM »
Or 12 six-packs of shim material!   :o   If you use the cheap domestic variety...  ;D  which I don't...  :-\ except Yuegling...  :-[  but that's more German...  :(  In my extensive research on the subject I have found that imported shims work better...  :P

I wonder if beer cans could be made into primer cups?   ???  OH BOY!!!  Another research project!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2009, 05:46:48 AM »
what is the diference between  greed  and ambition??

besides  maybe they don't  REALLY  want  to  sell......but  for  $75......some one  may  REALLY need  them

Whether it's fair or not there's a market value on everything we want.  Nothing is worth more than anyone else is willing to pay for it.  I watch the auction sites all the time and have noticing that the prices are starting to come down little by little, and the availability is coming up little by little.

They say consumer confidence is starting to rise and I hope they're right.  The only businesses I've heard of that are doing any good lately are the firearms & ammo companies. 

Offline MrJames680

• Squirrels are just plain no good.
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2009, 07:09:54 AM »
I wonder if beer cans could be made into primer cups?     OH BOY!!!  Another research project!   

Yes they can! ;-) Lead Azide can be made as well, careful.  ;)
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2009, 08:33:36 AM »
What about anvils?  They seem like they'd be hard to make with consistency.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2009, 08:43:12 AM »
6x100 inch .017 brass shim stock is 20 bucks.  That is about 2400 cups, more or less.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline MrJames680

• Squirrels are just plain no good.
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2009, 02:28:56 PM »
Actually what I really did was make some caps for my .44 Army Colt BP.
AtLaw has got me curious.
Lead Azide is not to great to use as it is unstable/more sensitive.
In a berdan primed case it may be easier.
As far as an anvil, I wonder if you could use a small screw head with the sides notched out?
However you make em, it doesnt seem like a safe thing to try for a gun or a person....
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2009, 03:54:34 AM »
Seems it would be easier to seperate the cup and anvil from a spent primer remove the dent - use a toy cap or other compound - replace the anvil and use . ?
JUST A THOUGHT .

Now i found a supply at a hardware store in a small town . If you are out and about give it a try .

Offline Pumah25

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2009, 04:45:15 AM »
Where I am at we have a mix of gougers and non gougers. Scheels is still selling them at the same price but never have any. On local shop has doubled his prices and has limited quantity of 1 size LP. This is a guy that would gouge his own grandmother. He can eat them if he gets hungry cause I won't buy them. Another gun shop has shown a slight rise but has not had any on shelves in awhile. One small shop that goes to the gun shows has a been in fairly steady supply and has not raised prices a penny. The ones that have not gouged will continue to get my business after this clears up.  The others will get a lot bad references. The fact that one small guy and one big company are still offering them at the same price tells me prices to them have not gone up.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2009, 06:49:28 AM »
before the crunch they were 17-19 dollars a 1000 , now some places $27.00 others $ 47.00 and one place $ 75.00 a 1000 . I got 1200 for just under $50.00 , but i wanted to shoot a new gun .

Offline Explorer1

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »
Many refuse to admit the problem is self-inflicted but folks ammo sales are up over 30%!  The facts are the manufacturers can not keep up with demand, its that simple.  Many of us are "concerned" about the clowns in office, lots of folks are preparing.
You can deny it, say its wrong, what ever.  That will not change the facts supplies are up and demand is up much more.