Author Topic: loading 280 gr. .44 LFNGC  (Read 379 times)

Offline barber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • lilke hunting with handguns, metal detecting,
loading 280 gr. .44 LFNGC
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »
i've been loading .44 ,280 gr. WLNGC  bullets at 21.9 gr of H110. Now I'm going to 280 gr. .44   LFNGC  bullets, which seat a fraction deeper (are longer), and I don't quite understand what constitutes a compressed load. Is it when the bullet just touches the powder, or when the bullet actually presses down on the powder?

barber

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Re: loading 280 gr. .44 LFNGC
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:56:57 AM »
Most powders can stan a little compression. H110 actually works better I think with some compression, a tight crimp and a magnum primer. What mold were you using or where are you getting your bullets.  I want to do some experimenting with that type of bullets in my 44 magnum Handi rifle.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 08:14:49 AM »
Barber, don't hold me to it but read somewhere that compressing H110 is not a good idea.  I don't think they elaborated on this, at least I don't remember the reason behind the statement.  You didn't say what you are firing these 44 loads in but you can only seat them so that the case mouth stops at the crimping groove. 

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »
I have used a great deal of H110 and Winchester 296 which some say are identical in full power 44 magnum loads and virtually all have had some compression of the powder, from some to pretty tight.  If the load you are shooting is listed in a manual somewhere it should be all right.  I have seen several references to this powder that say not to reduce the minimum charge listed.  This is one of the reasons I am switching to IMR 4227 for my 44 magnum as I want a little more flexibility than just full power loadings.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
I have used a great deal of H110 and Winchester 296 which some say are identical in full power 44 magnum loads and virtually all have had some compression of the powder, from some to pretty tight.  If the load you are shooting is listed in a manual somewhere it should be all right.  I have seen several references to this powder that say not to reduce the minimum charge listed.  This is one of the reasons I am switching to IMR 4227 for my 44 magnum as I want a little more flexibility than just full power loadings.

Hornady says H110 and W296 come out of the same bin into different packages for marketing purposes. These are a couple powders, among others, that need to operate in the upper pressure levels for good burn characteristics. Lower pressures and the powders become erratic. Therefore, the admonishment not to lower the minimum listed charges.
I've compressed W296 to the point of case-bulging in a 357Mag. Those cases are softer?/thinner? than 44Mag cases.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline barber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • lilke hunting with handguns, metal detecting,
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 05:28:28 AM »
I appreciate the replies. I measured the cases with the powder, and there was a (very) small space between the bullet and powder.So I guess it isn't a compressed load. Again, I appreciate the help I get here. I pay attention to what is said.
barber