Author Topic: picking a primer  (Read 286 times)

Offline Smokepole cowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
picking a primer
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:14:27 PM »
Is it important to use the exact brand and model primer listed in the loading manual, or can you use any brand as long is it a large rifle for instance?

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Re: picking a primer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:40:47 PM »
you should be happy to find any primers, let alone a brand!

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:15:27 PM »
No it is not that important, That was just what they we're useing to work up the loads, Unless I am loading really hot loads I don't worry about brand name Just use the right type.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:44:17 PM »
All posts +1

The manuals state that their data was generated with those primers , etc. Care needs to be taken and proper reloading techniques for "any" substitutions. Different bullet of same weight, different powder lot (which most assuredly will be different), different primer, different seating depth. All this comes into play as we go through the process of load development. Change any component and we basically start over.

Years ago, I messed with my 41Mag a lot and tried a string of tests using all the primers that would fit that large primer pocket, including magnum rifle primers. Powder was IMR4227 and the powder charge was on the low side of the manual recommended range. Through this series, I found which primer worked best with IMR4227 at that pressure level. Not necessarily the best primer for all powders at all pressure levels.

Oh, and it wasn't any of the rifle primers, standard or magnum, but it did give me some first hand stuff on primers. They are not all alike, but the only weird results came from using the rifle primers. Even standard rifle primers are hotter than magnum pistol primers. Too hot for my needs. Good luck and stay safe.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater