Author Topic: using C.O.L.?  (Read 472 times)

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
using C.O.L.?
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:39:38 PM »
i took a chamber impression of my encore .204.
from the base to the lands its 2.1540. i measured a factory round, the same bullet/case i plan on using, and that measurement touches the ballistic tip.

im planning on using 32gr v-Max's, there isn't much "shoulder" to this bullet, and if i set it so the .20dia part is touching the lands there will be barely any bullet in the case.

do i need to go to a bigger bullet? supposedly the twist on the encore bbl is too tight for heavier bullets.

help!!!   lol

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Re: using C.O.L.?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:18:28 PM »
Don't worry about touching the lands, Unless you are trying for extreme groups It dosen't make much diffrence. I have a couple rifles that shoot inside 1moa and I couldn't get a bullet to the lands if I wanted to. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »
Depending on the rifle of course , I have found that in most cases getting into the lands has never been a major help , just stick with the listed COL and you should be fine .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:54:12 PM »
Depending on the rifle of course , I have found that in most cases getting into the lands has never been a major help , just stick with the listed COL and you should be fine .

stimpy

Agree.   

:)

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:39:27 AM »
I play with the col thing when loading for my Varm/Pred rifles and when I started, the rule of thumb was that the bullet should at the very least be seated to the depth of its diameter.
I recon that it is the best for ballistic uniformity.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:47:45 AM »
move the bullet from the base being even with the bottom of the neck out to where it touches when you start reloading for a new rifle . shoot a few of each seating depth . I have a 2506 that likes to kiss the rifeling and a 223 that likes the base of the bullet flush with the bottom of the neck . the 25 is with Nosler BT , tried to load there part. the same way and ended up with a pattern . going to work on that this summer .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »
There are plenty of guns made with long throats. They do this on purpose to ensure that you are "not" going to touch the lands with your bullets to keep pressures down. Weatherby designed his magnums with long throats and loaded them up hot. I do not think he thought loading off the lands was a handicap. Throat shape is very important to bullet accuracy. It needs to be of the proper size to start with and taper down at the correct angle to the rifling (lands). I have found that some guns actually shoot better off the lands than into them. I also have some, like you, I can not comfortably reach the lands and found them to generally shoot better that way. When I use a longer bullet to reach the lands in those cases, they do not seem to have the accuracy I am after. And still others that shoot better into the lands. If you can not comfortably reach the lands (have enough bullet in the case), do not worry about it. Work with your loads as would for any gun, you will find some thing that works. Just a theory - if your bullets are not real square (little run out) a longer throat is better for accuracy to help straighten up the bullet before it hits the lands. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 12:38:27 AM »
OK, i just did my 45/70 bbl, its well seated into the rifling.
i had read somewhere that you want a long throat for the 45/70?