Author Topic: how much unloaded brass do you have?  (Read 991 times)

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
how much unloaded brass do you have?
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:35:19 AM »
so how much unloaded brass do you guys keep on hand?
compared to loaded ammo?
do you keep it cleaned/primed? or dirty in a bag?

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: how much unloaded brass do you have?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 02:43:50 AM »
About a 1000 of .45 acp,the same of .38, less .45lc.Only 100 or so factory stuff.I clean as soon as i can after coming from the range that way I can de-prime when ever I have time.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 03:09:44 AM »
when I do my brass, I deprime it, tumble it and trim it if needed. Then I store them in zip locks and write on the bag what has been done and how many firings they've had. I keep at least 100rnds on hand for each caliber.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 03:13:29 AM »
LOL, I TRY to not have empty brass,  I try to clean and reload as soon as I can get to it after using.  This grand plan of mine has fallen through the crack!!   I can't get components enough to keep up.  The only thing that I have an addequate supply for are my flintlocks.....300+ flints, 1000# lead, 49# FFF.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:31:28 AM »
Nothing that I personnaly buy case wise stays that way for very long. I load them up and they become part of my inventory. You would think that 1,000 rounds of live ammo would be plenty for my .45LC but this has grown to 1,800 rounds which makes for a great case rotation when they are ready to reload. I do keep some cases on hand that are factory once fired that have been givin to me by friends. I keep these in the original boxes and use them for new componet, or new load testing. They have been tumbled, resized, uniformed, and the like. They are never primed until I have a load in mind. Same goes for my .44mag but my inventory for it is still under 1000 rds.

Offline GameHauler

• Trade Count: (49)
  • A Real Regular
  • Thank you Every One for Positive Feedback
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:21:37 AM »
I am guessing around 4000 for all my calibers.
the main reason they are not loaded is I
still need to do load development for most.
I would guess 2000 loaded. Not near enough.
Mike

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 04:54:28 AM »
I do not keep much empty brass for my 357's and 44's. I have maybe 500 cases for each, but they get reloaded soon after being fired. My rifles are another story. I keep maybe 100 rounds for each of my 223's loaded up and keep the rest in a ready state, I mean they are ready to prime and load. Some are in a fired already state and some are virgin yet. I bought 1000 LC 06 brass a little while ago and split it up. 500 to my Stevens 200 with A&B fluted stainless barrel and 500 to my Stevens 200 Shilen SS barrel that I have to turn the necks down on. All 1000 are ready to be primed and loaded. I also have maybe 500 Winchester cases in different states of load for my Handi 223. And I have 400 Winchester cases still in the bag. All three of my 223's are single shots so, I am setting pretty good with brass. For my 221 Fireballs I have around 400 cases in different states of load and 400 cases still in a box - untouched. Again all single shots. 22 Hornet I have maybe 300 rounds in different states of load and 100 Winchester cases still in a box. I also have 300 Remington cases (that is all I could get right now) still in a box, but they are reserved for a 22 Hornet that I am converting into a 22 K-Hornet. I have 50 loaded up for fire forming. Again all my 22 Hornets are single shots. Hmm I think I see a pattern going here. I have a 30-30 and have 100 reformed 375 brass for it, but none loaded. I also have about 100 in different states of load. Naturally a single shot. I also Have 100 444 Marlin brass of which 50 are loaded. Again a single shot. Oh, I do not want to forget my 357 Max. I have 150 loaded up in 50 lots with 400 still in a box. Guess what - It is a single shot too. All of my center fire rifles are single shots. Some came that way and if they didn't I made them that way. I am looking good for brass right now, but you can not have too much - can you?
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline smith85619

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 05:18:09 AM »
after reading some of these posts, I realize I don't have nearly enough!

I have 100+/- for each rifle caliber, .243, .30-30, .270, .270wsm, .30-06, 7mm-08 all resized/deprimed and tumbled to remove lube.  As for the pistols, I have about 1400 once fired for the .40 S&W, I try to resize/deprime a couple of hundred each night as I have time.  I have about 1200 for the .45acp all deprimed/resized ready to load, for the .44 rem mag I only have about 200 virgin and about 100 once fired.  Of course I have at least a couple of hundred loaded for each pistol at all times.  I gotta get some more, it's like money, you can never have too much. ;D
If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 06:18:07 AM »
I don't know I prolly have 10 or 15 thousand empties of various calibers out there maybe more, I still need 2 or 3 thousand .308 and couple thou 9mm. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »
Because I choose to not listen to the naysayers about once fired range brass and went ahead and collected every piece I could on every trip to the range. I can comfortably say I have enough that if none were to be sold again ever...I'd be shooting long after my eyes, ears and legs quit working and my grandkids could shoot a bit too. Well into the thousands but no real good count.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 03:14:26 PM »
WOW... I would HATE to take the time to count it!!!  many, many, many, many, cases various calibers... ::) ;D

I had a couple dozen white 5gal pails stacked the corners 1/4-3/4 filled with various calibers. Now its all cleaned, sorted and bagged/boxed or bottled.
 I like three things for my brass storage.
1) The "baby wipe" boxes. These are GREAT as they stack nicely, offer wide mouths for easy filling and emptying and best of all are FREE!!!
2) The GLAD zipper freezer bags.
3) Finally when I can get them, the large pretzel containers work great. These too have large mouths, hold WAY more then the baby wipe containers, so I generally use them for rifle stuff while the baby wipes get the nod for pistol brass. Lastly, these too are FREE!!!!

PLUS all that, I have a dedicated brass cabinet. Its about 40% filled with brass in factory boxes.  Generally, I will tumble my brass before putting it in this cabinet. Generally, I do NOT deprime and re-size for storage in cabinet. I have an area on the bench for "staging". This is where I will keep brass that is re-sized and or primed waiting to be finished loading.

Then I have a second cabinet for loaded ammo. This one is lockable and separate from all else, its just loaded ammo.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »
I've got to get off my lazy butt. 1200 to 1400 223, around 700 45acp, 400 or so 9mm and 125 44 mag. In my defense, I'm waiting on Midway to send me my back ordered RCBS Lubri-sizer so I can reload my pistol calibers. I've already cast the bullets, just need to size and lube them so I can load them. 223 I have no excuse.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 10:03:31 PM »
I don't know, but since I'm moving end of month... if you'll bring your pickup truck over, along with mine we ought to be able to move it all (loaded and unloaded) to my new place in one trip.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Steve P

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 05:56:54 AM »
Because I choose to not listen to the naysayers about once fired range brass and went ahead and collected every piece I could on every trip to the range. I can comfortably say I have enough that if none were to be sold again ever...I'd be shooting long after my eyes, ears and legs quit working and my grandkids could shoot a bit too. Well into the thousands but no real good count.

I don't know if I have gone to this extreme, but my motto is, "If it is usable, pick it up."  A buddy of mine picks on me because I am always picking up 9mm, 40S&W, etc.  I have several thousand empties at home.  I let him know, there is always room in the bucket for a few more. 

Most of my guns have several hundred loaded rounds to go with them.  Most of my competition handguns have 3, 4, or more 100 round boxes loaded or ready to load at any one time.  .223, 357, 38s, I have a thousand or so empties of each.  Probably twice that many loaded.  If I load them all up, I wont have any brass to try new loads in.  Some of my obsolete calibers I only have a couple hundred brass. 

If I could find and afford it, I would grab another 1000 or 2000 brass each in 30-06 and .308.   I can use this common brass to make brass for a lot of other calibers and guns. 

If I ever have grandsons, they will not have to worry about having plenty of guns and ammo to shoot.

Steve  :)

P.S.  No one can ever have too much .22lr ammo.  Buy several cartons every time you see it on sale.  Our kids and grandkids can always use up what we leave behind.
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 06:45:29 AM »
I don't know,but am I the only one that is finding,at the outdoor range I go to,there is a lot less brass laying around then before.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Steve P

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »
I don't know,but am I the only one that is finding,at the outdoor range I go to,there is a lot less brass laying around then before.

Sorry about that....I took it home with me.  Leave the area cleaner than the way you found it!  etc.....

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline troy_mclure

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »
i wish i could take the brass home at my range, but its mostly .270, or 7mm-08, with some 5.56/x39 tossed in.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 05:27:36 PM »
Well,without counting,probably 3,500 "dirty" brass and about 1,200 "primed" and ready to load.Loaded.......not enough ;D........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 04:37:23 AM »
I'm glad you didn't include shotshells into this!  I'm 70 gallons behind here!   :'(
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 05:04:19 AM »
BF45 I'm glad you thought of that I didn't ;D.I have 55 gals of Win AA red and gray 12 ga......Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 08:09:11 AM »
Gee Wizz!  If you can count what brass you got, you ain't got enough!   :o

I honestly have no idea, probably several thousand pieces of rifle brass, mostly once fired, a few hundred new.  And I certainly don't do anything with them until I'm ready to start useing them.   ::)  Well, there were those thousand LC 7.62 cases...  :-\  still have 500 a them stored away...  seperated by year... If I ever had any thought of preping cases just for storage, that bunch broke me a suckin eggs real quick!  :-[

Got probably 8 - 10 thousand loaded rounds, maybe more, mostly 5.56 and 7.62, a few factory rounds in other cartridges and a few handloads I haven't shot for one reason or another.  Mostly I start working with a rifle and particular componants and load & shoot, load & shoot.  Except for MilSurp I never saw any reason to have a lot of loaded ammo laying around.

Oops!  I forgot pistol and shotgun ammo...  :-\  Nevermind!  Figures are off... ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 08:18:38 AM »
I don't keep as much as some of you guys but is this really something we all want to publicize?  Imagine if there are anti-gunners browsing this sight just to see what we're up to?  I'm sure there are too!  The next thing you know, we'll be hearing a report on the 5:00 news that says something like; "The average gun owner keeps 10,000 rounds of brass, 10 lbs of gun powder, and 40,000 rounds of loaded ammunition in his or her home...." or some crazy thing like that.  Aren't we just "giving them ammunition" to TAKE our ammunition away?

SO, now that I think of it, I don't have ANY brass, nor do I have ANY ammunition.  What about you  guys?   ;D

Offline troy_mclure

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 08:25:07 AM »
man, i am feeling seriously under brassed!