Author Topic: Before I call BS  (Read 2183 times)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Before I call BS
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 02:02:46 AM »
just tell him your not trusting your chrono after 4000 fps and would like him to shoot a couple accross it to see if the readings jive with his so you can calibrate it.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 05:27:16 AM »
i have seen a 22 cheeta , 308 case necked down - in the upper 4000 fps range . Saw some bullets come apart so i ask if bullets exist in 30 cal. that will stay togather at that speed in the weight range suggested . we are not of little faith just ask for proof
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 06:15:39 AM »
I am positive, positive that 5600 fps is unrealistic

Do you also believe in "Hope, Change and Hope for Change"?  LOL
"Common Sense IS NOT An Inherited Trait"

JT

Offline scootrd

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 06:43:08 AM »
Just for Grins I googled fastest bullet ever fired - This was answer Wikianswer threw up-

The .14-222 is the fastest with 4465 feet per sec. It is a .222 necked down to a .14 cal it was created in 1985 by Helmut W. Sakschek as a "wildcat" cartridge.

Factory Loads
.220 Swift  at 4213 fps with 40GR HP.
.22-250 Remington 4224 fps 40GR BT
.204 Ruger 4225 fps 32GR BT
.223 WSSM at 4352 fps with 40GR BT.

I also  seem to recall the 30-06 accelerators were over 4000 fps as well , but don't remember exact FPS

"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2009, 07:31:09 AM »
Eureka, I found it. The fastest bullet fired reached 5900 fps. Yes, 5900 fps. Only one problem. How do you mount the barrel of an M-1 Abrams tank on a rifle stock?

JT

Offline scootrd

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2009, 07:47:11 AM »
Eureka, I found it. The fastest bullet fired reached 5900 fps. Yes, 5900 fps. Only one problem. How do you mount the barrel of an M-1 Abrams tank on a rifle stock?

As well as find a decent quality scope for it   :D
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »
You guys are really having some fun with that claim of 5600 fps. ;D
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2009, 08:03:34 AM »
I would think at 5600 fps the bullets would come apart in flight from being spun too fast if they had lead core.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline scootrd

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2009, 08:04:24 AM »
did a little more digging  -  Apparently the military was playing around in the 1940's (go figure!!!!)
The 14-222 Eichelberger carbine launches a 10GR bullet to over 4550 FPS -  Quote "Faster than any currently produced Factory cartridge available in the US."

Hmmmm - Now where can I get me an M1-Abrams without having to re-enlist again   ???. bet they would be devastating on 'chucks
would almost force me to learn how to re-load , cant imagine the cost of the shells.

Offline v-man

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 08:52:54 AM »
Theoretically the concern about the bullet coming apart in flight seems unfounded if you have a slow enough twist. 1:20 or 1:40??? Just enough to keep it from tumbling. Am I thinking wrong?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 09:17:53 AM »
in the cheeta the bullets were to light skinned and they seperated in flight as the target had several odd shaped holes in it . I think they were using ssp bullets at first but not sure .

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 02:12:16 PM »
  You guys do know that a chronograph CAN be affected by muzzle blast, right? I had a normal .44 mag load that suddenly read 3906 fps! A fellow moved the machjne a little closer to me as I was shooting. 2 shots read normal speeds, then the screamer?? I moved the machine back to where I had it originally and got 2 more normal speeds. I called Oehler about the errant speed asking WHAT could cause it. He asked a few questions and told me that the machine MUST be 3 feet from the muzzle  and preferrably a bit more. It seems the sonic vibrations from the blast will shake the electronics.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 04:05:42 PM »
  You guys do know that a chronograph CAN be affected by muzzle blast, right? I had a normal .44 mag load that suddenly read 3906 fps! A fellow moved the machjne a little closer to me as I was shooting. 2 shots read normal speeds, then the screamer?? I moved the machine back to where I had it originally and got 2 more normal speeds. I called Oehler about the errant speed asking WHAT could cause it. He asked a few questions and told me that the machine MUST be 3 feet from the muzzle  and preferrably a bit more. It seems the sonic vibrations from the blast will shake the electronics.

i  have gotten over 6,000 out of a 357 mag  out of my handi rifle.....with  180 grain LBT cast slugs   with  no leading

then  i moved the crony back
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline v-man

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:19 PM »
If the sun is at too low of an angle I will get perverse readings from mine. I've recorded over 3000fps with my .45ACP before and even though I may not be as smart as most of you, I was a little suspicious.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2009, 01:57:55 AM »
If the container that one uses to load the shooter is of a high proof then the load in the weapon may be misread .

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2009, 06:03:48 AM »
Only one problem. How do you mount the barrel of an M-1 Abrams tank on a rifle stock?

You don't.  You just mount a good scope on the barrel and use the tank.  We used a couple of steel blocks and milled them to similar shape as weaver bases.  Used a 50mm Leupold scope with 30mm rings x 4 and tightened her down.  Those 4 rings held that scope so tight.   We got a saddle made for a shetland pony and cinched it tight to the base of that barrel and made sure the navigator had room to swing their feet back as they were sighting thru the scope.  We had a Chevy key fob set up to a door lock mechanism that we attached to the actuation modulator inside.  Navigator could raise the barrel up and down with the key fob and hit the lock button to fire.  Hang on to that saddle when you touched one off cause that think bucked good.

I remember one time we had this probie come in.  He was supposed to be our back-up driver.  We talked him into being support navigator and set him up on the barrel during a redeye operation.  Jr. Richards got up there and loosened up the cinch before Probie saddled up.  We were doing about 30kmh across an alkalai flat when Probie touched one off.  That barrel bucked and Probie swung underneath the barrel and was hanging upside down.  I'll never forget the smile on Jr's face when he smelled the mess Probie left in his fatigues.

Gotta love the old days when we were young and bold.

Bool Sheeter  :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2009, 07:43:31 PM »
I loaded the 100gr Speer plinkers for one of my 30-06s several years back.  The first three bullets did not make it to the target at 100 yards.  It came apart.  I shot a coke can on a post at 40 yards.  Can was unopened, my buddy had set it there when changing targets and forgot it.  Little 100 gr bullet made it there.  Talk about an explosion.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2009, 04:32:34 AM »
SteveP
Somebody ride an Abraham's tube would be pretty interesting!

After seeing a video, shot in the desert of S.Cal, of a live fire event, I don't think I want to be outside of a tank let alone riding the barrel while all that powder's going off! BUCKING? I RECKON! Messy drawers? DANG SKIPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some guy swaying in the stirrups, spurs aflashing, and poundin on the turret for more speed! Better have a LLLLLOOOOONNNNGGG EYE relief on the scope though. "Scope Eye" would be a B*tch!!!

HWD

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2009, 05:06:42 AM »
The fasted load on reloaders nest and those guys try pretty hard.
http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp?CaliberID=100&LoadID=1147

I do like the sound of a 60" barrel though.

Can't you get that kind of reading if your crony is too close picks up the muzzle flash?

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2009, 04:31:02 AM »
Theoretically the concern about the bullet coming apart in flight seems unfounded if you have a slow enough twist. 1:20 or 1:40??? Just enough to keep it from tumbling. Am I thinking wrong?

True. A solid copper bullet would most likely stay together. A 1:40 barrel. Interesting. Not a full turn in a barrel length under 40". :o
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Avid Poster
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2009, 10:18:41 AM »
If you are looking for speed, who cares about accuracy. Smoothbore baby :D

JT

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2009, 03:26:45 AM »
look at the advances in slug guns , do the advances in tank teck apply ?
I wish i could find the site , there is a new military shotgun , full auto with rocket type ammo .

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2009, 05:54:54 AM »
As indicated above, there are some expermental things going on behind closed doors.

Until I retired about a year ago, I was a "G Man" at Washington State University. Garbage man for those not in the know.

Being a reloader and scrounger from Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, I quickly spotted some 300 Win. Mag. brass in a dumpster outside the Shock Physics Lab at WAZZU, quickly adding it to my strange looking brass collection.

It was very clear there had been a great - GREAT!!!!! - deal of pressure involved in the firing of these cases, and from what I understand, from a PHD friend who worked there, the 300win.mag brass/primer/powder charge was used as the "starter" for whatever charge/gun they were firing.

Another time at the came location, I saw some thick plywood which had been impacted by a large projectal of some kind. Big hole!

Now I have no idea what pressures and/or velocities were being created in that lab, but doubt they were anywhere near what I am getting out of my 5.5" Redhawk 44 w/310gr LBT.  A conservative guess in that department is 2800 - 3000fps.

I think my great velocities are the result of my duplex loads (sparked by 13.7gr of Bullseye behind 19grs of AA#9) and my special home made bullet lube.

WARNING!!!! - Don't try the loads with anything more then the 13.7grs of Bullseye, as testing has found that an increase of even a 1/10th of a grain will create an overload situation.

Recoil is quite light, considering, which I think is a factor of the bullet leaving the barrel so quickly.

Just don't try this load in a S&W as they aren't up to it!!!!!!!!!

Keep em coming!!!!

Oh, buy the way, I know it will be hard to tell, but only part of the above is true, while the rest is slightly embellished.

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2009, 02:11:12 PM »
One foolproof method to estimate the maximum velocity any particular cartridge is capable of producing is to calculate its muzzle energy.  A certain cartridge will reach near the same energy with most of the bullets it fires.  The .300 Win Mag produces around 3100 fpe with 110-grain loads, but a 90-grain bullet at 5600 fps produces over 6200 fpe. No commercial 30-caliber cartridge produces anywhere near that much energy with any load.   
His claim is clearly BS and he has no fall-back, no ifs ands or buts - he's busted.

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Avid Poster
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2009, 02:32:09 PM »
The military assault shotgun was featured in Future Weapons on the Discovery Channel. You can find a video of it on YouTube.

BTW, my S&W 44 w/ 6 1/2" barrel only has about half the energy of my Ruger 454 with 6 1/2" barrel. 

3/8" Plate Steel

44- Splattered, no dent

454- All but Penetrated, quarter sized lump protruding out the back

NO COMPARISON.

JT

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »
I had coffee with a fella that has been known to stretch the truth.  Tells me he is shooting a 300 win mag, ok I believe that.  Then he says he is loading a 90gr bullet in it.  A 90gr .30 cal, my spidey sences are starting to tingle.  The next thing he tells me almost had coffee coming out my nose.  He says the bullets are leaving the barrel at over 5600fps.  Now I may not be the smartest guy reloading but I have never heard of any that would be close to this.  Let me know what you think, is it possible?  I don't think so but I have been wrong before.

Cliff

BROVO SEIARA
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.