Author Topic: Lee customer service lousy  (Read 654 times)

Offline Smokepole cowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
Lee customer service lousy
« on: March 25, 2009, 01:28:17 PM »
I purchased my first and last Lee die.  I got the decapping die and the threads were damaged when I removed it from the box.  I could see something didn't look right as soon as I opened the box.  It wasn't dropped, you can tell from the damage.  It has the threads bitched up in 2 different spots.

I tried calling Lee and could never get through.  I sent them an e-mail and got the response to send it to them and they would replace it. 
I had to pay to have a damaged die shipped to me and they expect me to pay to have it shipped to them.

I took a file and filed it down so it would thread in and chalk it up to lesson learned.  They won't get any more of my money.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
Re: Lee customer service lousy
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »
HMMM and and i heard that lee had "great customer service"  ::) ::)
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline wncchester

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »
"I tried calling Lee and could never get through.  I sent them an e-mail and got the response to send it to them and they would replace it.  I had to pay to have a damaged die shipped to me and they expect me to pay to have it shipped to them."

Any observations on Lee, as such, aside that's a common service policy from a LOT of manufactors.  I suspect it's done that way to prevent a flood of frivilous claims, if so it really does make sense, at least to me.   If you don't accept it from them you won't be very happy with a lot of others.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »
WOW- Things must have changed a bunch since I last dealt with Lee about a year ago.
They were always super quick, and nice. And I bought several special orders from them.
Shame to hear about the decline.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline DDelle338

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:52:48 AM »
WOW- Things must have changed a bunch since I last dealt with Lee about a year ago.
They were always super quick, and nice. And I bought several special orders from them.
Shame to hear about the decline.

alan

No decline in the customer service.  I broke a depriming pin on a Lee die last month. Called them and they asked how old it was and when I told her it was about 6 yrs old, She said since it was so old, I'd need to send the bad part in to them, then they would send me a new one. If it was a new die, they would have sent me the new part directly.            Cost me $1.80 shipping for a new part.
  I really don't expect any company to pay shipping to them in todays world. Sometimes it does happen, but not often.
Life's a Bitch, But the puppies are cute.

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:06:09 AM »
 ;) I gotta agree with 338.  The ground rules for customer service that LEE required are not that much different from other companys.  I'm not making any excuses for them,  but most of their stuff has to be back ordered right now , because of big demand, & I'm sure their employees in manufacturing are being pushed pretty hard.

Jim
Jim

Offline cbxboy

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 07:27:30 AM »
My LEE experience was handled with outstanding customer service.  I called and got through almost immediately.  They shipped out a replacement the next morning and said "keep the wrong one" after the verified the purchase order was correct and ship order was wrong.  Small dollar amount and great response.

I will always by Lee, on the agree side recently I did dial them up on a few occasions and never got an answer or waited a long time and hung up, can't recall.  I was a little surprised on the norespnse/speed of response.  As it was just a general question I was not offended in anyway.

I too have to mirror the fact that your bothered by a few bucks ship?  If I recall their shipping charge is CHEAP.  Sounds to me you solved the issue just fine with filing and handling it.  All is good.   Bette rluck next time.....or pay for other brand and hope it goes well. 

Offline fastbike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 10:49:15 AM »
I can't figure out how "send it back and I'll replace it" is bad customer service.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »
the first 6 sets of their 762x25 dies were not bored the second time and tried to size the full case to neck size i was "lucky" and got one of them they sent a complete new set of dies with just a phone call and said keep the old ones. Only time i had to use their service and i've bought a lot of stuff from them.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 01:32:15 PM »
I like lee not knocking them but RCBS has customer service second to none. Had a used press that was missing a bunch of parts. Called and ordered the parts the csr said no charge. When he said no charge that included shipping. So yes in these days of no customer service you can count on rcbs and they pay the shipping.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline wncchester

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 10:48:42 AM »
"... RCBS has customer service second to none. Had a used press that was missing a bunch of parts. Called and ordered the parts the csr said no charge. When he said no charge that included shipping. So yes in these days of no customer service you can count on rcbs and they pay the shipping."

All that's true. Sorta.  And I'm not knocking RCBS but actually, none of their C.S. is "free".  We just pay for it with the intial purchase price but those of us who buy green (or blue, etc.) products pay for it all.  Then, if we never use the great C.S. we just increase their profit margin.  Same deal as when they started getting green press castings from China; it costs them less but we don't see any price decrease do we?
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline jacksbark

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 10:26:53 PM »
I've used Lee exclusively for the past 30+ years and have had many custom/modified dies, gauges, and sizers done ... never a problem, always prompt and helpful in reply ... others may be good too but as far as I'm concerned I am very pleased with Lee and i set high standards (except when spelling in some of my past posts  :P). Besides, Lee is BY FAR the very best money deal in reloaders ... none of the others come anywhere close.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 12:54:04 AM »
RCBS cs is very good. I had a old style competition bullet seater. I split the "cone" on the bullet seater. I called them up and I had to send in the old part so they could make sure I got the correct one (it is real old). I had to pay shipping to them, but they paid shipping back. The shipping charge was nominal. It was more of a bother going to the shipping place. Well; any way I had to pay shipping to them. Even the best customer service will cost a little some times.

If the threads were messed up, I think I would have "chased" them with a threading die and forgot it. Stuff happens, even to the best of them.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.