Author Topic: Tumbler  (Read 801 times)

Offline markp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Tumbler
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »
I have never owned a tumbler. The little bit of reloading I have done is with straight walled revolver cases.
After using I usually wipe them off with a dry smooth rag and reload again.  Do I need a tumbler?
Some of the bass remains  dark  from powder even after wiping off. Not looking for world class reloading here just dont want to hurt my carbide dies or cause other problems. Do I need a tumbler ?
Is what I am doing enough ? Is there another compromise with beter cleaning then I am doing but short of buying a tumbler ?

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Tumbler
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:32:52 PM »
mark, what your doing is fine, though I would suggest brushing out the neck. I use a bore brush of the same calibre.  I still wash mine sometimes but most of the time I do toss them in the tumbler just because I'm basicly lazy.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 02:51:29 PM »
You definitely dont need a tumbler. I started reloading to save money, but found that I now have to have every gadget and gizmo invented. I do like to tumble my ammo. The reasons being is that they look professionally done, but most importantly, I can examine a clean case better for signs of cracks, splits etc when I am inspecting cases. Something to think about.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
I'd spend the money and get one. FA has a kit that is less than 70$
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline wncchester

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 10:07:59 AM »
"Not looking for world class reloading here just dont want to hurt my carbide dies or cause other problems. Do I need a tumbler ?  Is what I am doing enough"

I like my tumbler but what you are doing is enough.  We reloaded quite well LOOOONG before tumblers became common!  Unless you let sand get inside it, a good wipe down is all that's needed to take grit off the brass.

All tumbling really does is make the brass shiney anyway, no matter how some of us try to convience ourselves it's for the dies or to better see splits or make better ammo, etc.  The dies don't care about any case tarnish or powder residue, and it actually seems easier to spot splits on unpolished brass to me.  MOST of my  splits show up after sizing, not after firing.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »
i just got a frankford arsenal one for 45 from cabelas.com
i got the walnut media from petsmart, $6 for about 2 fills of the tumbler.

Offline markp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:07:40 PM »
You Guys are the best.

Looking forward to my days off to load and shoot.

Happey Trails !

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:34:23 AM »
I have a rock tumbler (Thoms Tumbler) that the wife uses to polish stones she picks up along the rivers.  So when a batch of brass gets to looking old and stained, I toss it in the tumbler and polish it back up to where it looks new.  All I have to do is change the media, I use crushed walnut shells.  While it may not make a differance in the way they shoot, it makes me feel a lot better when they are shinny and new looking when I am shooting them at the range where other people see them on my bench.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Idaho_Elk_Huntr

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 08:45:58 AM »
I like pretty shiney ammo so I use a Vibrator. I have been reselling brass so I purched on of these monsters

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4507.html

Offline Arier Blut

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »
 I've been reloading for about 25 years and never owned one. Actually I don't have any of the new fangled things, just what came with the kit. In late summer I get all the tomatoes with bad spots and throw them in the blender. The juice is poured over the brass in a pale. It's sealed up and put in the refrigerator for a week. I take it outside and put the garden hose in it. The liquid comes out and brass stays in. Nice and shiny inside and out.

I used to use white vinegar but got cheap. The old timers used muriatic acid (brick cleaning acid) cut in half with water for results in a few minutes.
Anything slightly acidic will do the same thing it just  takes a while longer.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »
Yup you can get by without one.

I had reloaded for probably 10 years before I bought my first one(an Olsen), which coincidently just died last month(after about 15 years). I picked up one of the Franklin Arsenal jobs, it works quite well. I'm going to bring my old one into school and have the electrical controls instructor rebuild it for me. But once again you really don't need one. It's just that I'm an old fart and I think I need everything available these days. :D
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Arier Blut

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 07:30:22 PM »
Nothing wrong with that. It's always good to have toys. Old Fart, are you a corrections officer? I see the gun tower on your picture.

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 06:45:14 AM »
I never even thought about a tumbler when I was loading a few rifle bullets at a time, but now that I am shooting revolvers, a tumbler is really attractive.

I am hoping to get one for my birthday, but it is such an exotic piece of equipment I think I will have to buy it myself.  Seriously, I spend way too much time hand cleaning pistol brass as I am inspecting it prior to reloading.  A tumbler could be a great time saver. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 09:32:28 AM »
Midsouth has an inexpensive unit that is real popular, they sell out very quickly every time they get them in stock, they're expecting more on 4/20, it looks very similar to the FA tumbler that I've been using for a few years now, it sells locally for $40.

Tim

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00047SR100
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 09:55:01 AM »
Since I don't clean/polish every time I reload some cases and don't load more than 100 at a time, I have a small tumbler that I got from Harbor Freight for about $30.00. It'll hold a couple boxes of 44 Mag. cases. Very quiet and no dust.