Author Topic: Andy, Oh Andy?????  (Read 628 times)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Andy, Oh Andy?????
« on: March 25, 2009, 05:18:59 PM »

I see what a nice job you did on Doublebass 73's stocks taking them from the pistol grip design to the straight stock. Have you got any tricks or advice to someone wanting to do the same thing to theirs?

I even thought of buying a factory stock or maybe even one from gunstocks.com but those look so good why spend the money?

Maybe you could make this a build along post and we could save it as a sticky or has it already been done?

Thanks,

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline brennemanj83

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: Andy, Oh Andy?????
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »

I see what a nice job you did on Doublebass 73's stocks taking them from the pistol grip design to the straight stock. Have you got any tricks or advice to someone wanting to do the same thing to theirs?

I even thought of buying a factory stock or maybe even one from gunstocks.com but those look so good why spend the money?

Maybe you could make this a build along post and we could save it as a sticky or has it already been done?

Thanks,

Rusty <><

I would be willing to send Andy a stock and pay him to do it so he could could do a build along post for us wanting to know how he does it.
Banned for less than honest trading practices.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:39:36 AM »
Andy did a great job on that stock. It came out beautiful, I've gotten many compliments on it at the range. I tried doing
another stock myself by copying that one but I ended up butchering it so I was even more impressed with the one Andy did after that.
I've always struggled with woodworking for some reason. I did a decent job with the finish on it, though. I took Andy's suggestion and used a water based Rosewood first then laid a few coats of oil based dark walnut down topped off with about 15 coats of Tru-Oil.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 03:56:30 AM »

Yes, even without the checkering like they put on the BC stocks I like the straight better than the pistol grip style. What really got me to thinking about it was when someone posted here a few weeks ago about a Topper he got at a gunshow that had an old straight grip that was checkered from the factory. I never thought about them doing that but it makes me think of a fine English shotgun. I also have a 12 ga Deluxe with the SS frame that I'd like to do that to.
  Goodness, if I learned to do that no pistol grip stock piece of palletwood would be safe in my presence.

BTW did Andy do the Schnable as well?

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:40:29 AM »
The Schnabel is factory, I found it here in the classifieds.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:53:42 PM »
Doublebass73 & Andy,
It looks beautiful! I am a big fan of Tru Oil. I have done several gun stocks with Tru Oil
and they turned out great! It takes many coats to get the right finish in my opinion.
To do a Tru Oil finish right it takes mountains of patience & dump trucks loads of elbow
grease!!!!! It is totally worth the effort though. Some of my Tru Oil stocks have taken
me 6+ weeks to finish. I have seen some people who have said " Well, I put 2 coats on
and called it done. "TWO COATS!!!!!!!!!!!!" My opinion is if you aren't going to take the
time and the effort to do it right, then don't bother. Just leave it alone. I will say though,
once you lay down 8 or 9 coats of Tru Oil with sanding in between every coat with
400-600 grit you will start to see the grain being filled and the texture smoothing out.
Once you lay down 12-14 coats you will start to get depth to your finish. The more
you lay down after that the better it will look. I have done some stocks with 22 coats
of Tru Oil with no roughing up the finish afterward. I left it glossy. I like a Tru Oil finish
like that. With 22 coats it turns out so deep and so beautiful. You will get people drooling
over your H&R at the range with a 22 coat Tru Oil finish, believe me.

Robert

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 04:35:31 AM »
Hi guys and thanks for the kind words. I converted my first pistol grip stock to a straight out of frustration of not finding one to match and old H&R straight set than I and and loved. I nervously made one up and to my surprise it came out identical to the old original I had. The originals had a somewhat flat area on the bottom of the stock where the pistol grip is on the newer stock, by cutting off the pistol grip and some judicious sanding you can relpicate the originals. I have never tried to make a schnabel forearm out of a newer rounded style but it could be an interesting experiment.
As an aside and while I am talkiing about forearms, with the kind help of member DALESCARPENTRY, a talented carpenter, we made up a bunch of Rosewood blanks. I sent him the rosewood blanks cut to size, he planed them and cut the barrel channels and sent them back to me. They finish out to a very nice wide and long target type forearm. I only wish I could post pictures for you guys. Perhaps when my desktop computer returns from the shop I will again try to do so (I am working off an old laptop now). At one time I did post a few pictures, our digital camera died and we got a new camera, and my computer recently just about died so my picture posting was over.
My latest creation is a straight stock made from a Monte Carlo with the leading edge of the Monte Carlo just a bit enhanced to try to replicate a bit of a Shutzen style stock. I really like it and it now is on my .223 with an 12 gauge Ultra or 10 gauge shotgun long forearm for a great free float of the barrel. I have a bipod on it and it shoots great with the bipod, something not many Handis are known to do, perhaps because the barrel is extensively free floated by the large forearm channel. This is close to a bench gun but it does have a standard wieght barrel for ease of carry (less wieght). I am daily expecting another forearm (without the spacer) I bought here in a 3 way deal for the next project I am working on.
There are several ways to cut down a pistol grip to a staright stock. I usually scribe a line on the stock where I want to cut and always cut to the "fat" side leaving myself a but more sanding, easier to do that that try to grow wood back. I started using a nice compound sliding miter saw that workmen on my addittion had set up in my garage during construction (an expensive saw). Be sure to place shims under the stock to keep it from rocking on the table and clamp it securely to the table. Be VERY careful or you may lose fingers ot parts of them. Clamp the work SECURELY and proceed slowly and deliberately. After the cut is made sand into final configuration and refinish. I usually USE a citrus based stripper and then final sand and steel wool prior to refinishing.
This "pallet wood" varies and you never know how it will take stain or waht color it will turn out. It absorbs water based stain (harder to work with) easier than oil based satin and the wood usually does not have much figuring. I want to do a grey stock set but think it will come out featureless , however I will try one someday.
After doing many I now do them on a new table saw I purchased, and they are coming out great. like anything else, it is the expierence and confidence that helps with the outcome.
Be very careful to leave the edges intact where the buttplate or recoil pad go, you do not want to round these edges by agressive sanding. Many fine old military stocks were ruined by backyard gunsmiths who refinished the stock of old, and at one time cheap, surplus military rifles. I still cringe when I see a nice old militray rifle with the value and appearence ruined by some hack with 80 grit sandpaper.
I would be happy to help out anyone with instruictions or a stock. Any questions just ask....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 08:18:53 AM »
world needs more guys like you andy!!!!! glad to call you a friend!!!  ;D

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 08:27:17 AM »

Andy,
   Thank you very much for taking the time to explain that for us. I'm sure one of the reasons companies use the kind of woods they do in H&R's and other lower priced long guns is because of the low cost. It is a stable wood and not prone to breakage. IIRC it was on leverguns.com a while back that someone posted a picture of a Marlin they had refinished, but before putting on the stain they burned the wood ever so slightly with a propane torch to give it a tiger strips look.

I really have the gray mater workin now. Lets see... straight stock with tiger stripe finish, yep it might look pretty good.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 11:49:01 AM »
Rusty!!! Great idea, I have a .22 bolt action rifle with a walnut stock that I did that to many years ago. It had just about slipped my mind for a while but thanks to you I am again thinking of doing a gray stained pallet wood stock with the burnt on stripes...Thanks my friend and thanks to Shaner and all of you for the kind words. All the guys here are great guys and great friends....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley