Author Topic: Blue Dot behind 158 gr lead .358 bullets in a 357 mag?  (Read 948 times)

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Blue Dot behind 158 gr lead .358 bullets in a 357 mag?
« on: March 26, 2009, 02:23:34 AM »
I was looking for a little extra zip for shooting bowling pins (yes, I know that I need heavier bullets), and purchased some Blue Dot.  The load data shows that 10 grains will push that 158 about 1200 fps.  Not major, but should move them around a little.

However, I have been reading safety concerns with Blue Dot, mainly with the lighter bullets.  What do you guys recommend for extra velocity in a 357 without pressure problems?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Blue Dot behind 158 gr lead .358 bullets in a 357 mag?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:43:33 AM »
For large revolver I reload only blue dot.
For smaller cases like auto I reload Green dot.
You may want to try Red.
I have green and Blue as I can load all of my handguns and shotguns with either of them depending on load and GA.
Look at the hercules loading manual.  It has been helpful to me.
I like to use a powder that will fill more of the case.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:50:22 AM »
For bowling pins I use Bluedot to push a .429 180 grain Jacketed Hollow point 1,000 FPS.
But Have has faster times with a 22LR out of a 10" buck mark.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 11:38:20 AM »
I have a 627 8 shot, that's why I load the 357.  Gonna try the 200s or 230s to see how they shoot.  Have any powder suggestions for velocity at lower pressures?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »
No,
I'm at work so I will look some up when I get home and post them.
Hit me back so I can find it again.
Do you want Green,Red, and Blue.
And At what speed?
800, 900, 1000, 1100, 1200?

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 12:44:48 PM »
And I know you have a 357 I was just telling you it does not a whole lot of velocity and weight to move bowling pins.
I went with the 180 grain @ 1000 FPS.  While not setting the world on fire it is a hot special and moves pins and more is controlable for fast shots.  While it is cool to see the pin fly if it takes you 3 seconds to get to the next pin due to recoil.....

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:52:27 PM »
I have shot bowling pins with a 357Mag but not competitively.  I have a Taurus M66 4" and my go-to load is 158 grain LSWC in front of 10 grains of BlueDot.  I have never chronographed this load but I consider it a moderate load.  This load is accurate and shows no excessive pressure signs in my revolver.   BTW, I have loaded some a lot hotter and they were not pleasant to shoot at all. 

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 05:10:09 PM »
I have blue dot, 800x, and 231 on the shelf (LOTS of 231, a couple of pounds of 800x, and about 4 pounds of blue dot).  I really just want to shoot the pin loads at major velocity, and I have no problem getting different powder, but I LOVE the 231 at 3.8 for the 158s at plates, and at 4.6 behind 230s at the same targets with my acp.

Yes, I know I need lighter bullets for plates, but the molds are expensive, they are on the list to buy.

Soooo, I'd appreciate a recommendation to load behind 200 gr bullets at pins (maybe the 230 grain pencils).  I have blue dot or 800x for the 357, and I'd like to make major.  I'd buy something else if I must, that won't create flash, flame, or high pressure sufficient to damage anything, including me.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 09:15:59 PM »
The Blue Dot warning is in the stickies at the top of this section. Here is a link to make it even easier for you. In 357 it is for 125 grain bullets. I know because I had some loaded up and pulled them down. I reloaded with W296 - but you need to be careful about how much you use. W 296 and H110 do not perform well if the case has too much room in it - and of course if you get too much you will get over pressures. You will be fine using it if you stick to reliable reloading data for the bullets you are using. Good Luck and Good Shooting

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,148601.0.html
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »
Some more on the Blue Dot Warning:

The Blue Dot Warning for 125gr bullets in the 357mag is for Lots of current manufacture. I was concerned enough to email Alliant and had great correspondence with them. Their response was that current mfg had shown erratic behavior with 125gr bullets in the 357Mag, and all bullets in the 41mag. I sent them the Lot# on my Blue Dot and my data sheets for the 357mag, 41mag and 45Colt. They stated they had seen no issues with Blue Dot in the 45Colt. Their response was that my data was uniform and the Lot# of Blue Dot that I was using was from several years ago and not current mfg. They stated if I observed any "significant change" in performance to immediately discontinue its use until the warning had been lifted. I decided not to purchase any new Blue Dot as there are plenty of choices without warnings.

Regards,
Sweetwater.
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater