Author Topic: Bulging 45 Colt cases?  (Read 513 times)

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Bulging 45 Colt cases?
« on: March 26, 2009, 03:53:29 AM »
I am new to reloading and am not sure if I have a problem or not. I reloaded win. brass with LP primers, 8.8-10.3 grains of HS-6 and 255 grain lswc bullets. I am getting a slight bulge at the base of the brass. The sizing die seems to take this out. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I loaded some Hornady 250 grain XTP's with 23.5 grains of lil'gun and get a little more bulge than the other cases, this I did expect. These are all shot through an H&R BC. I do not have this bulge on the factory cowboy loads. Thanks JamesIII

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Bulging 45 Colt cases?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 04:27:35 AM »
I don't know about the charges-I didn't check but the bulging is just the brass expanding to chamber dimensions,  the cowboy loads just don't have enough pressure to do this.  It's normal

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 04:37:35 AM »
I do not have this bulge on the factory cowboy loads.

This is a curve ball (to me) for sure as I figure that the alleged bulge in the head area of the case (say 2/10th inch up from the bottom) is always there and is only revealed when the case is resized.
I have three die sets for the .45 Colt with two of the sets being inherited. My Standard RCBS seems to size to a slightly lesser degree than my RCBS carbide set. My Redding die is right in that ballpark but will iron out the head area better than the other two sets will.

I might be totally off base regarding your problem...more post's will tell.

Edit: Ditto on ButleFord45's post

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 04:45:31 AM »
GB, I'm not sure if the following condition is common to 45 Colt or just common to the 6 that I have but they are all generous in the chamber and once fired with a standard load they all look like they need to go on a diet.  They re size just fine and look great again.  The factory cowboy loads are low enough in power that the cases aren't stretched enough to make the growth visually obvious.

BF
Butler Ford

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:10:00 AM »
GB, I'm not sure if the following condition is common to 45 Colt or just common to the 6 that I have but they are all generous in the chamber and once fired with a standard load they all look like they need to go on a diet.  They re size just fine and look great again.  The factory cowboy loads are low enough in power that the cases aren't stretched enough to make the growth visually obvious.

BF

Agreed. I am going to try to (tighten up) things in the near future by (neck sizing to cannulure or crimp ring only) on those straight walls just to see if it makes any diff in the group sizes. This is something that I have not tried before.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 05:58:59 AM »
Sounds like fun-bustin' caps is always fun!  Would like to know how it turns out, just out of curiosity.  I've 4 revolvers, two rifles and trying to negotiate a third rifle for a total of 26 separate chamber dementions  so far.
So, I guess I'll just have to stay with full length re sizing for a while.

BF
Butler Ford

Offline fastbike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »
I have similar experience with an 18.5 grain Lil'gun load under 300 Grain XTPs. Interesting thing was that I got the bulges when shooting the rounds in a Puma 92, but not in a Blackhawk. This was a noticable bulge at the base. The sizing die also resizes without problems.

I don't get this effect from 9 grain Unique (250g LSWC) loads or 6.5 grain Titegroup (225 gr LFP) loads out of either gun.

I am new to reloading and am not sure if I have a problem or not. I reloaded win. brass with LP primers, 8.8-10.3 grains of HS-6 and 255 grain lswc bullets. I am getting a slight bulge at the base of the brass. The sizing die seems to take this out. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I loaded some Hornady 250 grain XTP's with 23.5 grains of lil'gun and get a little more bulge than the other cases, this I did expect. These are all shot through an H&R BC. I do not have this bulge on the factory cowboy loads. Thanks JamesIII

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 05:04:57 PM »
My little H&R 45 colt has a pretty generous chamber and does the same thing.  It was so bad I had to work the extractor over to get the case out.  My 94 Trapper has a tighter chamber and my 454 Puma holds them the tightest.  Have a Blackhawk 45 and a Redhawk 45 and the Blackhawk has looser chambers than the Redhawk.  It would be nice to get one that has had the chamber reamer sharpened several times, might have a tighter chamber that way.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:55:31 AM »
James,
I've been loading my 45 Colts with HS-6 for about 20 years.  I use a Ruger Blackhawk and therefore am able to load quite a bit heavier than the HS-6 load you mentioned.  (I won't give the specific charge here but it can be found in some old manuals as well as other places.....just use caution and only in a Ruger Blackhawk)  Anyway, the cases will bulge at the bottom and I have yet to find a sizing die that will full length re-size all the way to the bottom of the cartridge....all the way to the rim.  Even though your re-sizing die should meet the shell holder, there is a flange or widening at the mouth of the die which allows for a small area of the case to remain unsized.  That being the case, once you re-size your brass, there will always be a slight bulge at the bottom.  This is common of most brass and as you go to higher pressures and begin nearing magnum loads, the brass expands more and more in the chamber and the bulge becomes even more evident.  If you take a look at some magnum rifle cartridges, there is an extra thick belt of brass at the base which aids in preventing the heavy bulging effect from the magnum pressures. 

In summary, I've been loading the same lot of brass for years and the bulge has no effect on chambering or brass failure.  Typically any brass failure that I have seen occurs at the mouth of the case as a slight crack down the side.

I hope that helps.  Have fun with your 45 Colt.  It's one of my favorite rounds.