Author Topic: Tasco 1.75X5X20  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Tasco 1.75X5X20
« on: March 26, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »
I bought a used Rifle some time ago with a Tasco 1.75X5X20 on it. It is pretty old and was made in Japan. I took it off of the rifle and just put it in the safe. Today, i was doing some cleaning and I pulled it out and looked through it. The Glass is much better than I thought that it would be. Does anyone have any feelings about this scope? My origional intention was to sell it but I have a 444 that currently is unscoped and I may put it on her if anyone thinks that it may hold up.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
Re: Tasco 1.75X5X20
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:03:12 PM »
At one time in the past, Tasco actually had a few scopes that were okay. Today, there reputation has earned them the affectionate nickname of Trashco. It’s actually very fitting. You may actually be in possession of a decent one. Hard to tell. Maybe if there is a model number on it or part number may help us determine if its a Tasco or a Trashco.

Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Tunaman

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 03:08:31 PM »
At one time in the past, Tasco actually had a few scopes that were okay. Today, there reputation has earned them the affectionate nickname of Trashco. It’s actually very fitting. You may actually be in possession of a decent one. Hard to tell. Maybe if there is a model number on it or part number may help us determine if its a Tasco or a Trashco.

I am very familiar with the Trashco name. I hate to admit it but I am a bit of a scope snob and i never thought that I would even consider a Tacso but this glass seems better than what I expected.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 03:18:50 PM »
The Tascos that were made in Japan and the Philippines are great.  I had a 2X on my .45-70 Handi and I wish I hadn't sold it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Skunk

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »
Swampman speaks the truth about the Jap Tascos. If you decide to sell it Tunaman it will go in a heartbeat.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:53:55 PM »

I am very familiar with the Trashco name. I hate to admit it but I am a bit of a scope snob and i never thought that I would even consider a Tacso but this glass seems better than what I expected.

Nothing wrong with being a scope snop. Becasue there's nothing wrong with being opposed to equipement failures while in the field. Good equipement can go a long way to provide that insurance.

Perhaps if you can gleen a model or part number we can help determine if this is a good one or not.

As I side note,  I'm actually in posession of a decent Tasco 8x40 binos. Purchased them about 30 years ago and I still use them today in the field on occasion. They are a good product and have never failed me.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Tunaman

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »
Swampman speaks the truth about the Jap Tascos. If you decide to sell it Tunaman it will go in a heartbeat.

If i decide to sell it, what would be a fair price?  I looked on ebay and didn't see anything comprable.

Offline Tunaman

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 04:01:26 PM »

Nothing wrong with being a scope snop. Becasue there's nothing wrong with being opposed to equipement failures while in the field. Good equipement can go a long way to provide that insurance.

Perhaps if you can gleen a model or part number we can help determine if this is a good one or not.

As I side note,  I'm actually in posession of a decent Tasco 8x40 binos. Purchased them about 30 years ago and I still use them today in the field on occasion. They are a good product and have never failed me.

I just pulled it out and it has no model number on it. It is marked 1.75X5X20 and Tasco, but that is it. There is a Deer head on the left side  in the middle of the scope. It seems to be steel tubing and substantialy built.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »

If i decide to sell it, what would be a fair price?  I looked on ebay and didn't see anything comprable.

If I were interested, I would offer the fair & reasonable price of $10, contingent of course, upon country of origin being Philippines or Japan and final determination of Tasco status and not Trashco  If anyone else offers to purchase them, I think you should demand $200 as a fair price, to that person.
 ;)
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Tunaman

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
 ;D I like the way that you think. Of course, I am not offering it for sale in a forum. If i do decide to sell it, I will do so in the Optics classifieds. I don't want to get into any trouble.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 04:20:06 PM »

Well, that's a good question Tunaman. I also tried looking around the internet for some comparables, but couldn't find any good ones either. All the Jap Tascos found were all sold, but the selling prices weren't listed.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser