Author Topic: older winchester powder  (Read 497 times)

Offline mike4

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
older winchester powder
« on: March 26, 2009, 06:28:06 PM »
i found some older winchester powder at the local gun shop that is really cheap and i wanted to find some data to see if i can use it. i forgot what it was called exactley but it did not have a number on it.  any help would be great thank you

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: older winchester powder
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:36:07 AM »
In order for us to help you, you really must let us know exactly what it was called.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:17:57 PM »
Some Winchester shotgun powders have names or letters instead of numbers.   But I'm with Grum... pretty hard to look up load data without a designation.  So the powder is worthless to you regardless until you do get the exact designation of it.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline mike4

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:59:21 AM »
finally made it back to the gun shop and the polder is marked Winchester WXR powder

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 08:04:10 AM »
It is modern, but discontinue slow burning powder, good for .270 Winchester, & 7 mag, along with other cases that like slow burning powder.   Being it has been discontinued I suggest buying eight pounds of it so you developement work will not be wasted.

I found a Winchester handbook with data for it on the net sometime back.  A little research might bring it up.

http://www.reloadersbench.com/Downloads/Reloading%20Manuals/Winchester%20Reloading%20Manual%201999%20Edition.pdf
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline mike4

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 03:34:51 AM »
thank you that helps alot i was unable to find anything on it think ill get it for 30-06 shells.

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 02:04:44 PM »
I see they have recommended loads for 06 using 165 and 180-grain bullets.  I think it is a powder I could work with. If there was a local shop with a supply I would be seriously tempted. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.