Author Topic: An intresting load found  (Read 514 times)

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
An intresting load found
« on: March 27, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »
I got a new 45 cal. bullet mould this week.  Fired up the pot and cast a hundred or so and started comparing powder on the shelf with what was in the books.  I ran across a load for a powder I have and have never used in this calibre.
.458" 405 grain bullet and IMR 4350.  The intresting part is that the starting load is the same as the max load,  56 gr compressed.  I'm sure there are many more like that but this is the first time I've run across it in smokeless powder before.  I guess this is one that either works or it doesn't, not much room for tweaking.

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: An intresting load found
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:00:23 PM »
Yep , thats one of those loads like BP only without the smoke , the 4350 is a nice slow powder and does well in a large case of the 45/70 .

Not a lot of slam back recoil either , more of a heavy push .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »
The burn rate is really a bit too slow for that application which is why max and min are the same. Such loads normally don't work out too well but ya never know until ya give it a try. I highly recommend IMR3031 for that application.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:27:20 PM »
I did that in my 40-82; compressed a charge of IMR 4350 with a 265grWLN, after reading an article in Rifle Magazine. I did it both with a wad and without a wad. Didn't see why it would need a wad, but what do I know? With a wad actually gave me a pretty good group. Without a wad were everywhere and some keyholing. One thing for sure - it did fill the air with grey smoke!! Velocity(1800fps) was too high for my old rifle(circa1887), so I've chose not to repeat the exercise believing the pressure was probably higher than I should be using.
Yours should be fine in your 45/70, but you will fill the air with smoke AND that's an expensive powder charge compared to the likes of 3031, 4198, H322, etc..... I need to conserve my powder. Economics.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 02:37:35 PM »
Yep , thats one of those loads like BP only without the smoke , the 4350 is a nice slow powder and does well in a large case of the 45/70 .

Not a lot of slam back recoil either , more of a heavy push .  ;)

stimpy

BF

I have shot the very load you are talking about and when I said no smoke , that was in compairason to the cloud that comes from a case full of true BP , you will get some smoke . also it makes a neat low light muzzle flash , kinda like a army field cannon going off .

As the others have said , its not the best powder choice for the 45/70 but it will do in a pinch if needed .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 04:22:22 PM »
Stimp, I didn't experience any significant smoke, shot ok, no bench and too wet and nasty to set up the chrony and get serious.  I have my doubts about it being anywhere near the advertised 18500 fps. 
 I understand about 3031, it is the powder I've always used.  So just to try something different, I tried the 4350, next up are 4895, Varget and of course, 3031.

Sweetwater, as far as expense 4350, 4895, 3031, Varget, 332, and 335 are all within 3 grains at max load and 4198 within 8-10 gr.  AND ya' have ta figger' in the entertainment value!!
Butler Ford

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »
"Sweetwater, as far as expense 4350, 4895, 3031, Varget, 332, and 335 are all within 3 grains at max load and 4198 within 8-10 gr.  AND ya' have ta figger' in the entertainment value!!"

AMEN!! Ya gotta work in the entertainment value!! PRICELESS!!
In my 40-82, the difference is more like 11-14gr, but we are talking a major league difference here in cases and rifle strength. "I shoulda known!" Maybe why I got a lot of smoke, and you didn't. I mean, I had to wait for that S.Cal. breeze to dissipate the smoke to see the target without walking half way up to it!

You ARE having fun! It is still PRICELESS, and we can still DO IT!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »
You wouldn't be from western Nebraska would ya Butler? I shot cowboy matches in Alliance with a man by that name.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »
You wouldn't be from western Nebraska would ya Butler? I shot cowboy matches in Alliance with a man by that name.

No, it is a SASS monicar, registered a LONG time ago but I've never made it to a match in Nebraska.  He must be one of them desprit hombre's a lookin to hide behind my sterling name amongst them what don't know me personal.    ;)
Butler Ford

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:24:01 PM »
Who was Butler Ford? Maybe that was an Sass name he used too, but that can't be can it, Sass wont allow someone to steal a man's name.