Author Topic: rifle crimp?  (Read 585 times)

Offline cridertj

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
rifle crimp?
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:51:46 PM »
Just started reloading my 204 rounds and was reading the die set up book and it said you can crimp them or not .i am loading 32 gr v-max bullets do i really need to crimp them since they don’t have a crimp ring in them?

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: rifle crimp?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:57:07 PM »
No. Crimping is for autos and lever guns. It only adds another variable to the equation. Don't mess with it if you don't have to.

Offline cridertj

• Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 07:14:51 AM »
ok thanks

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 02:22:41 AM »
 Its not that its wrong, it just generally not necessary. but doing so will not hurt a thing and you may actually find it offers an accuracy improvement with some loads.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:43:35 AM »
Morn'in shooters,

I started reloading back in the 60s or very early 70s, and have never had a need to crimp rifle ammo.

This is even with the short neck rounds which some folk seem to think are a problem. Rounds such as 30 Gibbs, 300 Savage etc.

On the 30 Gibbs, the fellow who reamed the chamber went long/deep with the reamer, which in turn ment I had an even shorter neck then usual, No Problem.

As a side light to the long chamber on the Gibbs, it also ment I had a slight bit more powder room then is normal for the Gibbs.

In fact, the only time I have had problems with holding a bullet in a rifle neck, was with some new 270 brass.

That was back a good number of years ago, and since then I have always made it a practice to size all new and unfired rifle brass before loading.

NO MORE PROBLEMS and no need to crimp.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:28:14 AM »
"reading the die set up book and it said you can crimp them or not"

??
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline cridertj

• Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 01:37:19 PM »
The book has procedures for setting up the die for crimping and with out

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »
I started using a Lee Factory Crimp die on my 30-06 loads (bolt action) a couple of years ago and found that accuracy usually improved with bullets with a cannelure and was no better and often worse with bullets lacking a cannelure. I found in the loads that improved, it made the load less sensitive to other variables. The Lee works differently from other crimping dies by squeezing the mouth with a set up similar to the Lee collet die.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
"The book has procedures for setting up the die for crimping and with out"

The quoted line from the book answered the question.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 12:49:25 PM »
I started using a Lee Factory Crimp die on my 30-06 loads (bolt action) a couple of years ago and found that accuracy usually improved with bullets with a cannelure and was no better and often worse with bullets lacking a cannelure. I found in the loads that improved, it made the load less sensitive to other variables. The Lee works differently from other crimping dies by squeezing the mouth with a set up similar to the Lee collet die.

Bottom line, TRY IT!! 

I don't know of any cannelured 204 bullets, but other calibers definitely have some available.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 10:26:22 AM »
If you set up your die to seat the bullet and you cannot move or twist that bullet once seated, I would NOT crimp unless you have a recoiling problem that could seat the bullet deeper, and the 204 AINT got it.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002