Author Topic: Finally 44 Mag- Mistake?  (Read 566 times)

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
Finally 44 Mag- Mistake?
« on: March 27, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
Hi I read on here somewhere about what would be the best Handi in 44 Mag. Also the post about the 357 having long chamber. I was thinking the same thing about the 44 I was looking at. I put one in layaway today. Serial starts with HX. Is this what I want or not??? I read the other night that some are less accurate or something. NIB for 224.97 more than I paid for my 223 a couple years ago. But they came down from 279. when I first looked at them. Help! I'm tired and hope I got the right one. Thanks!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Finally 44 Mag- Mistake?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:34:58 AM »
 There is a complete year brake down in the FAQ's for manufacture dates.

The current 44mags from the past couple years are the good ones. But the older ones where not really "bad", just had a bit larger bores. Correctly sized lead bullets fix that "problem" right quick! ::) ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:50:07 AM »
I have one of the older ones (made in 1996).
It shoots well enough to bust clay pigeons at 100yds. :D

If the new ones shoot better than that I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Spanky

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 04:15:32 AM »
Mine is made in 2007 and it will shoot into an inch at 50 yards with jacketed bullets.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:35:10 AM »
Thanks Guys, Sorry about sounding like my wife. I've been wanting to get this Handi for a while. Had bad week, took dad for surgery, mom on her errands and missed getting to gunshop twice before, then saw the years list late last night and didn't go back far enough to the article on 44. Paniced!!! Didn't want to get the older one after all this waiting. Sounds like I want a Marlin made barrel 07 or after. Think that's what I got. Gunshop guy said he got them in Dec. Must have been sitting around a while. Are all barrels made after 07 by Marlin? Looks like I'll be able to stick a 444 in the chamber. Ready for some FUN!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 06:02:10 AM »
Are all barrels made after 07 by Marlin? Looks like I'll be able to stick a 444 in the chamber. Ready for some FUN!!!

Yes on Marlin making the barrels, no on the .444 until you rechamber it, if you want a .444, send in for a .444 accessory barrel, they have a nice 1:20" twist, the .44 is 1:38".  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 07:09:25 AM »
Thanks Tim, Was a bad joke about 444. Just looks like a long chamber down that barrel. I was reading on here lately about the barrels and barrel program. If you request the barrels with the newer twists will you get them or whatever the guy grabs that day? Hornet & 223. What would be best twist for 221 Fireball rechamber on Hornet barrel? Plan to send this frame in for 357 and Hornet and???Thanks again!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:22:30 AM »
You'll get what they have in stock which normally will be the current production. But, just speculating here, once in a while they'll fit a take off barrel which may have been poorly fitted on an older rifle which will be either an old twist or even an ejector barrel, but that's a rare exception. Right now, current production .223 Rem and 22 Hornet barrels are 1:9" twist, they may be out of .357 barrels,  have been for quite a while now.

I tried a .444 round in my 2007 made 44mag barrel, it will only chamber about half way.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain