Author Topic: Arright, guys help an H&R noobie.  (Read 481 times)

Offline Gerry N.

• Trade Count: (0)
Arright, guys help an H&R noobie.
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:35:38 PM »
Just a few weeks ago latched onto my first H&R tip up rifle in .30-30.  What a sweet little rifle!   I was looking at how simple it is, yet how good it feels to shoulder and shoot.

Then it hit me.  Someone out there makes custom barrels, they just have to.  And I'd like to have one in .25-35 Win.   I have a T-C Contender in .25-35 that I've been shooting since I got it new in '82.  A barrel for my Topper would be a wonderful toy to have.  From what I've learned my rifle was made in '68, it appears never to have been fired until I got it.  There was cutting oil and chips in the action and no copper fouling in the bore.

All this rambling.......Anyway, does anyone here know of anyone who does custom barrels for older Toppers?   I really would like to have a .25-35 barrel made up.

Gerry N.   

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Arright, guys help an H&R noobie.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:45:06 AM »
I know what you mean. My 223 Ultra varmint just felt so good in my hands, so solid and it looked good too. I have since added another frame and five more barrels. ;D

No one makes custom barrels for the Handi (H&R) rifle. However - You do have options.

1. You can have a rebore done - where you have a smaller caliber barrel rebored to .25 caliber and rechambered to 25-35. Take a .224" barrel such as a 223 and have it rebored and rifled to .257" and then chamber it to 25-35 - cost about $300 give or take + the .224" barrel as a donor.

2. You can have a stub done. That is where you take an existing barrel have it cut off just ahead of the chamber bulge and fit another barrel into the stub. The new barrel would be in .257" and then chambered to 25-35. This would also be in the $300 range if you furnish both the barrel and barrel for a stub. The donor barrel (which can be just about any thing, including a shot gun barrel) + a barrel in .257" and the gunsmith costs of fitting a barrel to the stub and chamber to 25-35.

I think the 25-35 would be a candidate for a stub project, because it is not a high pressure round. The H&R rifles are some what stronger than a T/C Contender, but not as strong as a T/C Elite. Your rifle is of older manufacture so the factory will not fit new high pressure barrels to you frame. I think you can get shot gun barrels for it, so you can have one fitted to your frame and the send it off to be stubbed. You can also purchase a barrel from some one and use it as a donor barrel. Search barrel stubbing and re boring in this forum and you will get lots of hits. You can look through the FAQ and get some insight also.

You just can not get a barrel that mates up to your frame, even from a custom shop. I think with the expense of building a barrel + having to hand fit it to your frame is just more than most people are willing to pay. Oh yes there are people willing to pay, just look at the stubbing projects and reboring projects that have been done here. But there is just not enough of them to sustain a maker to fool with them. On the brighter side, center fire Handi rifles are offered in a variety of choices in rifles from 22 Hornet up through 45-70 and 500 S&W. You just may not be able to get exactly what you want. For instance; you can purchase a whole 25-06 rifle, if you are in love with the 1/4" bores for about the cost or cheaper than having a barrel stub project or a re-bore built. You just will not be able to have a 25-06 fitted to your frame, you will need to purchase a newer manufacture frame or a whole rifle. You can get a 243 Win, but again, you will need to buy a complete rifle or a newer frame.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:14:51 AM »
Welcome Gerry!!!

As always, LaOtto222 has provide good accurate information for you!!

I too long for a 25-35 barrel chambered for a handi rifle. It seems a good match for this nice old action. I have yet to take the plunge. I have re-chambered a couple barrels but nor re-bored one yet. I was quite fortunate enough to acquire another of my favorites, a 32-20 barrel. Its a stub made by one of our members here, beautiful work. Tim has had a couple barrels re-bored with his smith with excellent results. I will be along soon, once he shakes the dust off and gets his morning coffee.

One day I will do the 25-35, I have been acquiring brass and have about 5-600 117RN bullets sitting on the shelf waiting...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 05:06:32 AM »
Welcome Gerry you are in the right place and seem to of gotten off to a great start with your Topper. Now that you are here you got a ton of info to read...more than you really could of wished for The OZ of H&R's The Yellow Brick Road,and the Pot at the End of The Rainbow yes you can pinch your self you ain't dreamin. GBO come early stay Late. Kurt

PS take a look at the site sponsors and buy from them when it's feasable.
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 05:14:08 AM »
Wayne York is a GBO Sponsor and is the go to guy on having work done on Handi barrels. He turned a .22 Hornet barrel into my long wanted .25-20 barrel. You should be able to use a Hornet or a .223 barrel either for a .25-35 I'd think.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 05:56:28 AM »
A barrel for my Topper would be a wonderful toy to have.  From what I've learned my rifle was made in '68   

Welcome aboard Gerry! All great advice so far, but I think everyone missed the quote above, H&R1871 won't fit any barrels to any frame made by the old H&R,  they'll only fit barrels to frames made 1987 and later. Another member here, Marv (Datil), had GBO sponsor Wayne York rebore and rechamber a 223 or Hornet barrel to 25-35, he loves it. As has been said, I've had him make several custom barrels as have many others, he's done one stub with a Shilen barrel to 6.5x55, and rebores to 338-06 A-Square and 405 Winchester, as well as several rechambers, he does good work.  ;)

Tim

http://home.earthlink.net/~oregunsmithing/

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain