Author Topic: Gun type for hiking/camping  (Read 4242 times)

Offline bluecow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Gun type for hiking/camping
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 02:48:35 AM »
got to go with graybeard.  the BESTall around handgun is a double action 5 shot 357 with a 3" barrel.  yet for my hikeing & fishing i carry a s&w 22mag or my single six.  i dont worry about varments no matter how many legs it may have,  these are just for plinking.
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline Shiner

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 12:09:21 PM »
I always just carry my Single Six w/ the 22 mag cylinder.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 01:00:41 PM »
Of the two you mentioned all you gave were calibers and not models.
Assuming that the two are similar.  4" smith K or L frame and a full size auto then i would pick the 357 dure to the optional ammo you can carry for the gun.
you can carry full mag loads for big game, standard mag loads for self protection, and 38 Spl loads for small game hunting.
Each type of round can be carried in a speed loader for ease of carry as well as easy to get to and change loads in the pistol depending on need.
A revolver to me also says hunting where a service pistol says self protection and trouble.
Now if one were a compact and one full size I would go with the full size.  More options with a longer sight radius, easier to shoot.
If you need to cut down on weight and only want it for personal protection then smaller may be the ticket  but think of it more as a noise maker than a club.
I would need to know more before I picked. 

Offline Hook686

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 03:21:59 PM »
I carry a light weight S&W 329PD, .44 magnum 4" revolver loaded with Buffalo Bore Heavy .44 Special 255 grain SWC that yield about 550 ft-lbs of energy. This is about the range of a good standard .357 magnum ammunition (Note: the Buffalo Bore Heavy .357 magnum 180 grain LFN runs at 783 ft-lbs out of my S&W 627PC).

I save a little more than a pound carrying the 329PD, but give up a couple hundred ft-lbs of muzzle energy. I'm getting lazy ... there was a time I carried the 627PC instead of the lighter 329PD.
Hook686

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2009, 08:32:54 AM »
I'll add my 2 cents.  High power revolver preferably DA in a concealed carry holster.

For deep woods hiking, I have three options that I have used:  (1) Ruger Blackhawk 45 (Long) Colt loaded to 44 Rem Mag levels in belt holster; (2) 357 Mag loaded with 200 Grain bullets and at true magnum loads of Alliant 2400 that would make Elmer Keith proud carried with belt holster, and (3) 44 Rem mag snub nose DA revolver carried concealed with an IWB holster.  Any of those will be more than enough for just about anything man or animal encountered in the lower 48.

On my most recent hike I used the concealed carry 44 Rem Mag DA snub nose revolver the most.  The Polticially Correct tree huggers in WA state really take offense of open carry and feel it is a violation of their private playground.  It has amazed me a the lack of common sense some of them will exhibit by saying rude things to someone openly (and legally) carrying a firearm.  In passing some on trails when I use to open carry, I hear low voices saying to each other "he has a gun, who does he think he is", etc.  Of course when a trail has signs on it warning of cougar siting and cautioning some hikers not to go further, I sort of chuckel to myself wondering if any of the politically correct will follow close.

When I go out in the woods, I want to enjoy myself and not get angry at stray comments from jerks.  I recommend concealed carry in the woods, if that is legal for you.  It has improved my moments with nature.

I am truly amazed that the concealed carry in National Parks bill in Congress has a chance of passing and becoming law.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2009, 01:48:18 PM »
Taurus Tracker 4" 44 mag.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »
Robert357, Why would you carry concealed in the woods? Is it illegal to carry open where you hike?
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2009, 02:57:14 PM »
Read his 3rd paragraph.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2009, 03:02:46 PM »
Tree huggers don't make laws?
Steve
AF&AM #294

Offline tguil

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
They don't make laws but some of us are "sensitive" -- like me ;D 

I have found that "open carry" of my S&W Model 36 or my Ruger Speed Six is not all that noticeable if I am wearing a backpack and have some other hiking or camping paraphernalia along.  I'm sort of partial to Uncle Mike's black cordura holsters when I'm hiking.  I think that my six inch stainless GP-100 or my 7 1/2 inch Redhawk would be noticed a whole lot more.

Tom

Offline Savage

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2009, 04:41:55 PM »
Guess I'm the only holdout for the .40. Most seem to feel that a revolver is more appropriate for woods carry.  Revolvers are a good choice in that you can use a variety of specialized ammo in them. I'd wager that the threat from 2 legged critters far exceeds the threat posed by 4 legged ones. Either way, I'd feel better with 15 180gr hard cast SWC rounds than 6 of anything I could stuff into a .357.  Matter of perspective I guess!  Whatever one is comfortable with.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »
Good point Savage but, wouldn't it be better to compare to .41 caliber?
Steve
AF&AM #294

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2009, 02:09:22 AM »
4 5/8 Blackhawk converted to a bisley in 45 LC.....250 gr RNFP cast bullet,8grs 231

Offline Savage

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2009, 02:10:44 AM »
S.B.,
Most of the recommendations here have been for the .38/.357.  The magnum calibers, .41 and up haven't been mentioned a lot in this thread. In areas where the threat of a large bear attack is a real possibility, they would be my choice. Realistically, there are few areas in the lower 48 where this is even a concern. Our greatest threat comes from 2 legged predators, in the wild, just like in (so called) civilation. It is for these reasons I carry pretty much the same type of armament I'd carry in the urban wilds. IMO, a light, reliable, high capacity, easy packing auto of adequate caliber.
Savage

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2009, 02:22:53 AM »
An inexpensive 22 semi is what I have taken. In Wisconsin I do not feel the need for a bear gun. A 22 pistol has been used by the entire camping party for some great fun and informal plinking by young and old. I used a Buckmark for this. This pistol and 100 rounds of ammo takes up little space and weight is not a factor. It may work for personal protection. I can imagine several hits from a 22 could deter most threats. You do not actually have to vaporize them.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Savage

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2009, 02:41:25 AM »
Yep, a .22 RF would be a good choice. Those are light enough that I'd find room for one in my gear if plinking or small game hunting were on my agenda.
Savage

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
Hiking in SE Tennessee, and N. Georgia, one just might need a bear gun.

That's why I upgraded to a .44mag, I felt under powered with a .38 special.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Savage

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »
The bear in my neck of the woods are blacks. They rarely exceed 200#. I'd still feel just fine with the hard cast 180 gr SWC in the .40.
Savage

Offline scootrd

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »
Does Marlin still make the Papoose?
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2009, 07:12:44 PM »
yes
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »
Tree huggers don't make laws?
Steve
Actually, in my State, Washington, the tree huggers are the bulk of the voters who elect folks that make laws.  The vast majority of the State's population is located within a given radius of the Space Needle in Seattle and they are pretty liberal.  The Puget Sound urban elite have little knowledge of hunting, firearms or consitutional rights.  We are lucky for the reasonable folks in eastern Washington, but they are the voter minority.  The Democratic party practically owns this state.  In fact there are famous quoutes about the the Soviet of Washington, which refers back to how left leaning this State's politics have historically been.

We had a very tragic situation last year where two young boys who had gone through the state mandated hunter safety course had been dropped off to go hunting by their grandfather.  One of the boys shot a woman hiker in the head on a well marked trail, according to statements, thinking she was a bear.  It was a long shot, there may have been fog at the time and a variety of conflicting stories. 
http://www.goskagit.com/home/article/teen_in_fatal_sauk_mountain_shooting_faces_amended_firearms_charge/ 
http://www.goskagit.com/home/article/young_hunters_need_adult_supervision/

There was talk in some circles about if zones around hiking trails should be firearm free and/or off limits for hunting. There have been discussions about making public lands off limits to hunting.  All of these things have been able to have been avoided, but if enough tree huggers get their panties all bunched up, who knows what might happen.

Even in hunting season, the tree huggers feel like they own the woods.  Those friends I know who are avid hikers and don't own firearms or hunt, I remind when hunting season approaches and suggest they wear some visible orange.  After the accident last year some decided I might be right after all and started asking me to keep them briefed as to when various hunting seasons occurred.

Do I have the legal right to open carry while hiking in this State, absolutely I have a legal right to carry open or concealed.  I will open carry during hunting season or in eastern Washington, but I will concealed carry on when I hike on popular western Washington trails so I don't freak out the tree huggers. 

P.S.

The reason I carry either a 44 Rem Mag, 45 LColt located to very magnum levels, or a 357 Mag loaded with 200 grain bullets, is not so much out of fear of bears (most black bears I have seen have run off when they see me) but more out of fear of very large animals.  I have experienced situations where people I have hiked with have said hey look at the pretty elk, lets go over and take a closer look at it.  At that point, I said in a calm voice that it isn't a good idea and then say "hey look at the size of the hooves on those animals."  Also during hunting season I have heard packs of wild dogs in the distance.  My carrying in the woods is about prevention of bad things from a variety of four and two legged creatures, but mostly four legged ones.  Most of the two legged crime happens in the trail head parking lots.

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2009, 12:50:18 PM »
i live in washington state too (eastern washington) with all the new laws goin into effect this place is getting more and more like california i think we should split the state in half eastern and western. i open carry when ever im in the woods usualy a single six with the magnum cylinder sometimes a gp100
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2009, 11:48:21 AM »
I use the Taurus Total Ti .357. Never had any problems with it. Unfortunately, they don't make it any more. For snakes, I use my walking stick to move them out of the way. Poor things don't have any legs why make it any worse on them? ::)   
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Rex B

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2009, 04:45:42 AM »
NAA Minimaster .22 mag is my choice for casual hiking in Texas. No bears, maybe a cougar though I've never seen one.
I'm really more concerned with pot growers or illegal aliens than wildlife.

Offline Savage

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2009, 07:57:54 AM »
NAA Minimaster .22 mag is my choice for casual hiking in Texas. No bears, maybe a cougar though I've never seen one.
I'm really more concerned with pot growers or illegal aliens than wildlife.

Seems to me the pot farmers and illegals would make the NAA a poor choice. I think an AR would be ideal. Well, I'd at least carry a good hi cap auto.
Savage

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2009, 02:55:43 AM »
at one time Taurus made a model 94 revolver...j frame size with adjustable sights,3" barrel,9-shot cylinder....i've never owned a Taurus revolver but this gun would be a very convenient and handy trail gun....caliber 22LR

Offline Savage

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2009, 05:25:21 AM »
Just so happens I own a Taurus 94. It's an ok little gun, nice size for a .22DA revolver. I keep it loaded with a couple of shot loads and fill it out with Super Colibri  loads for the occasional cotton mouth that comes up into my yard from the lake. Good plinker and pest control gun, but I wouldn't consider it for two legged varmints.
Savage

Offline Hook686

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Guess I'm the only holdout for the .40. Most seem to feel that a revolver is more appropriate for woods carry.  Revolvers are a good choice in that you can use a variety of specialized ammo in them. I'd wager that the threat from 2 legged critters far exceeds the threat posed by 4 legged ones. Either way, I'd feel better with 15 180gr hard cast SWC rounds than 6 of anything I could stuff into a .357.  Matter of perspective I guess!  Whatever one is comfortable with.
Savage

hmmmmm in California one is limited to ten rounds maximum in any firearm.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=20

180 grain LFN .357 magnum - 783 ft-lbs of energy

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=25

180 grain JHP, or FMJ .40 S&W +P - 484 ft-lbs of energy

My 8 shot S&W 627PC leads to more comfort for me that ten rounds of .40 S&W +P would. As you note, I think this is a personal comfort matter. However I disagree with the idea that everyone has available to them 15 rounds of anything.

Hook686

Offline Savage

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2009, 09:35:22 AM »
My 8 shot S&W 627PC leads to more comfort for me that ten rounds of .40 S&W +P would. As you note, I think this is a personal comfort matter. However I disagree with the idea that everyone has available to them 15 rounds of anything.

Those of us that do, find it comforting.
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2009, 09:46:05 AM »
15 shots ? Most 2 legged confrontations are at 7 yards or less , a bear charge or other critter for that matter is over in the blink of an eye . Comfort is in the carry and extra ammo is weight that lessens comfort . In most cases if it ain't over in seconds with several or less shots fired you are in deep trouble.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !