Author Topic: Am I too late?  (Read 977 times)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Am I too late?
« on: March 29, 2009, 09:43:31 AM »
I just found out that I may be going to a conference in Boulder, CO week of Oct 5th. If possible, I would love to try to do a hunt around that - week before or week after. Is it too late to apply for tags (elk or mule deer) in CO or Wyoming?
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Am I too late?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 12:15:48 PM »
Yup pretty much I think. Some tags in CO tho are over the counter for elk I believe. Mule deer dunno but think all are draw only. Maybe some local guys can get you a better answer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jls

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »
April 1st I believe is the deadline. I already filed mine online so I would'nt get caught with my pants hanging! ;D
Deceased due to a 3rd stroke on Dec. 12, 2011.

RIP John.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »
I am not even sure I  would be able to hunt while I am out there but figured I would check. Thanks for the feedback. Figured I woud check with the folks here before I go crazy checking websites and trying to figure out the system for western tags. Seems like a hard system to follow, but maybe that's just because I don't know the area. Thanks again.
NRA Life Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline jls

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 01:26:07 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention is after the draw is held there are usually alot of left over licenses availible.I always check the Co. DOW website about mid-summer to see whats there. In the past I've been able to pick up two elk tags, one draw and one over the counter for the same unit. just something else to consider. ;)
Deceased due to a 3rd stroke on Dec. 12, 2011.

RIP John.

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:48:47 PM »
Sounds good. Thanks!
NRA Life Member

Offline taylorce1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 12:27:03 PM »
April 1st I believe is the deadline. I already filed mine online so I would'nt get caught with my pants hanging! ;D

Deadline is April 7th this year.  Apply online is the best way, you can't make a mistake.  The only thing you will be really able to hunt is first season elk Oct 10-14.  Pronghorn season is 3-9 Oct, and Moose is 1-9 Oct you must have at least 3 prefrence points to draw though.  Archery season ends a full week before you arrive. 

If you apply in the Craig or Meeker area you should be able to pick up a cow tag OTC to go along with any other cow or either sex tag you might have.  I wouldn't get two tags unless you are willing to drop $800 since you are not a resident for an either sex and cow tag.  You might check for tresspass hunts in that area as well.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/SeasonDatesAndFees/BigGameDatesAndFees.htm

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 01:12:23 PM »
There will be some leftover deer tags in WY. Most likely in the eastern part. You might be able to buy them over the counter after the draw. I hunted with an over the counter tag last year.