Author Topic: rossi 243's accuracy problem!!!  (Read 2914 times)

Offline pahardwoods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • dont worry bout it
rossi 243's accuracy problem!!!
« on: March 29, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »
i purchased a rossi trifecta last year and it seemed to be a great gun. after cleaning the barrel (removing forearm) and taking it back to range it would be consistent left to right but off up and down by slight or great marginal difference. I learned earlier today this could be caused by the forearm pressure applied on the barrel with the tightening or loosening of the sling swivels. it seems to me the 13 and 1/2 full turns on the barrel is pretty tight but not deadly. is there a way to keep this consistent other than counting every time the forearem is tightened on the barrel? open to comments or questions or best yet solutions! (:
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: rossi 243's accuracy problem!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:18:19 PM »
Vertical stringing is a problem with most of the break action rifles.  Mostly caused by the lockup of the rifle.  Forearm pressure may or may not play a part, next time shoot it without the forearm on and see what you get, my guess is that it will still vertical string.  These problems are a fact of life with the H&R and Rossi rifles, even Contenders have a problem with it.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Trapper-Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: rossi 243's accuracy problem!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »
I've got a Rossi 223 and an NEF 243 and I found that if reloading and just neck sizing, the lockup wouldn't be consistant on either one.  I needed to set the full length sizing die a little farther down to bump the shoulder back a little.  My accuracy is best when the case head is flush with the barrel and the barrel would lock up easily with the reciever.
Thanks,
Trapper Jack