Author Topic: Is there an easier way to remove lead from a rifle bore?  (Read 4688 times)

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Is there an easier way to remove lead from a rifle bore?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 02:31:33 AM »
Run a really wet patch of Kroil down the bore and allow it to sit 30 or so minutes. Then run a very snug patch down the bore and the lead will come out in flakes. Repeat if needed. Works for me.

+1 not that I have much trouble with lead in the bores of my firearms,but when I do have some I use a 50/50 mix of Hoppe's #9 and Kroils oil and let it sit.  A couple passes with a wire brush to loosen things up then I push a patch or two down the bore with the wire brush instead of a jig.  Some old time cast bullet shooter I know use straight kerosene to remove lead.  You might also try tumble lubing your bullets in some Lee liquid Alox.  I put about fifty 158 gr. pistol bullets in a plastic tub add about 10 drops of Alox shake and stir till coated let dry overnight and load the next day.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline docmagnum357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Is there an easier way to remove lead from a rifle bore?
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 03:51:56 PM »
The best wy is to not get it in there to start with.  i have been afflicted with poverty all my life, and seldom had any guns i was really woried about "ruining" so i have used valve grinding compuond, polishing compound, steel wool, and all kinds of other stuf that is supposed to "ruin" a good barrel.  I have found that "pitting" has little effect, "dark" bores can be made to shoot well, and all sorts of things that are just not supposed to be.  Most of these harsher methods actually improve the internal surface finish, and slow or eliminate leading, assuming you have a properly sized bullet, and aren't running astronomical pressures.

One 1958 vintage 4" 44 mag comes to mind.  Had to get a new cylinder, and the barell was "salvaged " by lapping with valve grinding compound, followed by polishing compound.  Newer(629-4) quit leading after i threw away an undersize mold, and very lightly lapped, then polished the inside of the barrel.  BUT, I used to do tool and die work, so I have a "feel" for how much to lap something. 

They are not much used anymore, but their is a lot to be said for a hollow base mold.  I shoot a lot of them in my model 14 smith i use basically for bullseye and for rabbit hunting.  It does very well with HBWCs, and as well if I use a regular WC that is sized right.  I wqon't lead with a hollow base bullet, period. Any thing else, and it had better be sized right. Just my 2c worth