Author Topic: AR magazine storage  (Read 592 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
AR magazine storage
« on: March 31, 2009, 10:09:06 AM »
Not too long ago everyone was talking about where to find mags and how many they could get their hands on.  Now that everyone has a couple extra here and there how are they being stored? 

Do any of you take the floorplate off your mags and take the tension off the spring (thinking it would help it last longer)?  I never have in the past, but I've thought about it.  Hopefully someone out there has a great answer.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: AR magazine storage
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:03:19 AM »
This is one of those questions that keeps coming up on the AR15.com site.  The general consensis seems to be that you can leave your magazines loaded for years and not worry about the springs taking a set.  Enough people who I respect have said that for me not to worry about leaving magazines laying around loaded... if I did leave magazines loaded...  :-\  which I don't...  :-[  so...  :-X
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline fastbike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:22:10 AM »
My mags are loaded. No issues so far.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 04:52:17 AM »
I don't leave any AR mags loaded.  I was more concerned about leaving a mag unloaded and some day a couple of years from now trying to use it and not being able to because the spring has gone weak.  Sounds like I don't need to worry about it.  Thanks for the information guys!

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 08:52:32 AM »
 You can leave them loaded for extended periods , The mag springs are set up for just that more so now then in years long past ..

Pistol mags can be a culprit for weakening springs in my experience , so i altenate loaded mags from month to month .... just a tip

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 02:05:24 AM »
mine are for the most part left loaded. What i do is load 15 in a 20 round mag and 25 in a 30 to relive some of the tension on the springs. Ive done this for years with ars and also leave on round short or a 1911 mag. Ive never had a spring give me trouble doing this. Dont know, maybe even this is a little anal. I probably wouldnt hurt a thing to leave them totaly loaded. Ive heard storys of people finding clips that have been loaded for 75 years and still worked fine.
blue lives matter

Offline diggdug

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
Ironicly, it is the use of a spring that weakens it, not the fact that it sits compressed or un-compressed for a long period of time. Your safe leaving your mags loaded, just don't use them, LOL.
Most people say I'm an idiot!