Author Topic: Front bead projects competely through barrel  (Read 638 times)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
Front bead projects competely through barrel
« on: April 01, 2009, 08:49:39 AM »
Normal How much can be inside the barrel before it is a problem?

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Front bead projects competely through barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:08:39 AM »
It should be flush with the inside of the barrel.

Spanky

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
he is 100% correct, nothing of it protruding to the barrel, it plays havoc with patterns, and does not help slug accuracy either, insert it, mark or measure it, remove it and trim, and reattach....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 12:01:47 PM »
It projects. There is a burr inside too. Compared it to another NEF shotgun barrel wherethe bead was flush inside. Wonder if Ilion will call tag a return.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
I had one like that...maybe 2.  I just took the tip of my pocket knife and it chipped right off.  Ran my finger in there and slick as a whistle.  It may just be a burr from the hole being drilled of a small spur from when it was tapped for the bead.  You may not even need to pull and shorten the stud on the bead.

Anyway, that's how I fixed mine.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »
I think that is sort of like driving 100 miles to ask  the dealer to roll up a car window for you...A small rounded file and about 2 minutes work should do it. It would take longer to call them and ask about it than to fix it. Almost as bad as sending a gun back and asking them to tighten the forearm screw. I worry if guns are sent back for little things like that, and asking for a call tag to boot, they will start to refuse to issue call tags or doing repairs for those that really need important work to be done. Please take no offense, I was just a bit put back by the idea of sending it back for that and a burr at the location of the sight screw....<><.... :-[
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
Did not want to potentially damage anything. If it is that easy, and there is no risk, then I'll do it. Thanks.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 02:26:37 AM »
OK wreckhog, good for you, and I apologize for my rant, I guess I just got carried away. Take it slow and easy, and let us know how things work out....<><....:)

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 05:10:52 PM »
I used what I had, a steak knife. left a couple marks, took off much of the burr. Filed the bead. Went out back and tested with half a box of target loads. Patterns at 15-40 yards seemed OK. Won't waste time/money with slugs til the burr gets knocked down a little more. Thanks all.