Author Topic: Look what I found !  (Read 792 times)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Look what I found !
« on: April 01, 2009, 11:43:34 AM »
Back in the early 80's my son was in college . This was one of his machine shop projects .
Wonder If I could bore a fuse hole and try it out ?  The barrel is made from a tank track pin . When I went through the machine shop class back in the mid 60's they had a ton of these track pins in storage . Amazing that they had lasted than long . The machine shop class required a project that used milling machine , old shaper , knurling , etc.  My project back then was machine table jack stands . The college kept them . I wanted to keep  them but they said they needed them . :<(  I made a ball pien hammer from the track pin and also a slide punch for sheet metal lay out , I did get to keep them.

I marked the end /bottom of the bore , it is about 1" behind the trunion pins .The trunion goes all the way through the tube.

The ball would stop on the trunion , would the barrel be safe to shoot with low power FF BP charge ?

Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Look what I found !
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 12:48:25 PM »
The ball would stop on the trunnion; would the barrel be safe to shoot with low power FF BP charge?

Does the bore extend toward the breech from the trunnion?  Would the trunnion be exposed to the explosion?  What is bore diameter?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 05:26:57 PM »
The bore is slightly over .250 , the powder charge would be behind the trunion pin ,thus having to blow around the trunion bar.   I'm sure he would have tried it but he gave it to me before he had a chance to do any experiments . I rediscovered it in a cabinet a few days ago . The Son died 10 years ago .
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 05:44:19 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your son . I can not even imagine .

If it is tight all around I would drill a fuse hole . I would NOT put a ball in it .

A salute gun for sure .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 09:14:57 PM »
I'm thinking that I would plug the rear of the bore with melted solder to in front of the trunnion before I felt it was a shootable piece.  Then drill a vent ahead of the new breech position.  Not quite the normal place for a vent but it is freelance anyway.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:04:08 AM »
More emotion tied up in loosing a son than any of us can imagine.   ....

You have a candidate for drilling it out all the way and inserting a liner with a welded end and then redrill a new vent hole. 
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 11:55:37 AM »
Im so sorry to hear that .
if it would be me I wouldnt even consider to alter anything on it .
just keep it exactly as it is . not even fire it
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry