Author Topic: Federal Match small rifle primers.  (Read 626 times)

Offline xit

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Federal Match small rifle primers.
« on: April 02, 2009, 03:17:48 PM »
Hello all.

Here is a question from a reloading newbie for all the more experienced.  I recently acquired a .22 hornet  and then could not find small rifle primers.  I finally found some federal small rifle primers which I grabbed in quantity and was wondering if I need to do anything different because of the match part of the primer name.  Are they just a better quality primer or what is with  the name?  Thanks for your input.

PJR :-\

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
Re: Federal Match small rifle primers.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:49:10 AM »
Match componets are manufactured to a higher standard or so they say. Small rifle is Small rifle match included. Magnum is where things change. As with all loading follow published data and start with min load and work up with caution.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:41:23 AM »
probalby the only differnce is the price
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:15:23 AM »
As stated, they are supposed to be a step above in quality.

Your should be able to substitute for reg primers in all loads. BUT as always, when ever making a change to data, start at starting load or at least 10% reduced and work up slowly.

BTW, I use then in a couple of my loads religiously. With excellent results.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jim_Ole_Timer

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:54:57 AM »
Match grade primers are made for use in match grade guns, as everyone has said, they are made to a higher standard and are more consistant in how hot they are. If you don't have a match grade gun they are a waste of money, but will certainly work fine in any gun.    :)
Protect our constitution, all of it. Our kids future depends on it. And please teach them Conservatism.

Offline xit

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 04:12:25 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.  I appreciate it.  I am ready to play with the hornet. ;D

Offline woodchuckssuck

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 07:35:32 PM »
Ive read a lot of info online, and gathered that federal primers are a tiny bit hotter than other brands, and much easier to set off, as well. I  use small pistol match because it is all I could find locally at a fair price (for 9mm) I use NOTHING but winchester/cci for .45acp. I load both .45 and 9mm to the 10% less than max and both are great. Gonna get me a chronograph soon so I can do better comparisons, as well as work up a load for .35 rem that is good in power, safe, and accurate...

Offline mike4

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
troy boy ive not been able to find any data to reload 223 with magnum primers and all i can find is cci mag 450 primers will starting a little under minimum load be ok then work up from there

Offline Jim_Ole_Timer

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:49:21 AM »
troy boy ive not been able to find any data to reload 223 with magnum primers and all i can find is cci mag 450 primers will starting a little under minimum load be ok then work up from there

Check your Lyman manuel, it has loads.
Protect our constitution, all of it. Our kids future depends on it. And please teach them Conservatism.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 12:08:43 PM »
CCI had a segment on one of the huntig shows . They said the difference in their reg primers and bench rest primers was the operator . he was more consistant than other operators . Sounds like an honest ansewer .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 01:40:25 PM »
I was told that the machine's are slowed down a bit, to get a more consistant measure of priming mixture. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman