Author Topic: 6mm Rem with Hornady 95 gr. SST load?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline anweis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
6mm Rem with Hornady 95 gr. SST load?
« on: April 03, 2009, 05:54:00 AM »
I have a difficult time finding reloading data for 6 mm Remington with the new 95 gr. Hornady SST bullets.
Would anyone please check their Hornady manual to see if any loads are listed?
A have quite a bit of IMR 4350 powder and i would like to try it. I am guessing that 41-43 grains of powder with this bullet would be safe, but guessing is anything but safe.
Thanks.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 6mm Rem with Hornady 95 gr. SST load?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:05:19 AM »
You should be safe using data from Nosler for their 95 BT. Also check Hornady's site online or just ask them for the data. I'm sure they'll be happy to provide it. You could also use data for 100 grain bullets safely.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:31:09 AM »
You should be safe using data from Nosler for their 95 BT. Also check Hornady's site online or just ask them for the data. I'm sure they'll be happy to provide it. You could also use data for 100 grain bullets safely.

Thanks Graybeard, that is exactly what i was doing and or thinking. There may be one more snag, about getting the cartridge lenght and seating depth right, but i will use a depth gauge.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »
I have a couple of general guidelines I use in determing initial seating depth. You'll perhaps need to adjust it for best accuracy but often times I never bother as it shoots well enough the way I begin.

If magazine length allows it I'll try to seat base of bullet just about even with the base of the neck where it meets the angle of shoulder. If magazine will not accept them that long then I set it to the max SAAMI length for the cartridge.

I use whichever method seems applicable to begin my load development regardless of what the bullet manufacturer suggests. As I said I seldom adjust it further unless it just doesn't shoot well enough like that. I select powders that seem to give best velocity and/or that the load manual says are most accurate and then run a series of tests with increasing amounts of the powder until I find what is most accurate. If it is accurate enough to suit me I use it. Otherwise I try another powder and do it over again.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Arier Blut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 08:34:59 PM »
I can't say anything better than GB did. I contacted Hornady they listed 45.6 as max for 100 gr., sorry I didn't save email and don't remember minimum. I settled on 44.8 gr 4350 95 gr sst 2.765" overall. Used rem brass and cci 200 primer in a model 7. Velocity was barely over 3200. Accuracy was .63" 3 shot at 100 according to log. I no longer have this caliber. Just thought a ballpark may get you going.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
I can't say anything better than GB did. I contacted Hornady they listed 45.6 as max for 100 gr., sorry I didn't save email and don't remember minimum. I settled on 44.8 gr 4350 95 gr sst 2.765" overall. Used rem brass and cci 200 primer in a model 7. Velocity was barely over 3200. Accuracy was .63" 3 shot at 100 according to log. I no longer have this caliber. Just thought a ballpark may get you going.

nice...!   ;D :o

what kind of rifle?
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.