Author Topic: Stop the Madness  (Read 2334 times)

Offline catkiller

• Trade Count: (0)
Stop the Madness
« on: April 04, 2009, 01:25:41 PM »
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STOP buying all the crap and the prices will drop.Look guys I need a few bullets and powder but I'm not stupid enough to pay these prices ! i for one am not worried about anyone getting my guns.It's a mass hysteria thing and nothing else.Why are people such followers?It's insane,Joe Shmoe said this was going to happen,oh no! we better go buy everything we can get our hands on!It's rediculous in my book.90% of crap people worry about never happens so why worry? Worry about it when it happens!You'll live longer! I have never been one to let anybody rent any space in my head but I guess that's just me.Come on now,I'm tired of hearing about this and I want to shoot my guns.Can you help a brother out? Thanks,Let the Flamings begin! 
" A woman's breast is the hardest rock the almighty ever put on this earth and I can find no sign on it!"_ Will Geer (Bearclaw Chris Lapp) from Jeremiah Johnson.[/quote]

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: Stop the Madness
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 01:32:21 PM »
When I used to tell my mother-in-law that 90% of what she worried about never happened she replied “see how well it works!”.

Seriously, we go through cycles like this. I try to keep enough stocked up to ride them out. It is also a good time to go back to shooting a 22 more, lots of fun, good practice and still pretty cheap.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:54:53 PM »
can you guarantee that suppiles will not be as or more expensive next year or say even available?  If you cant well even if you can, it is a tough guarantee to fulfill, so I will keep buying cuz in 6 months, todays prices may be a bargain. 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »
Look what Y2K worrying did!! Prices shot up as demand outran supply. People bought generators and 500gal water tanks for their garages and basements and lots of survival gear and just tons of stuff they are still trying to get rid of! The dreaded date came and left, supplies came back on the shelves, prices fell. Prices are always going to go up and come down and go up again, always stabalizing a little higher than last year - it's called inflation. Panic buying feeds the inflation.

I need some primers too, but not having worked all winter, it's awful hard to explain why I paid $80/1000 for primers and can't buy a gallon of milk because I'm broke. Next year or 10 years from now, primers will get to $80/1000 at Midway, like they are right now on Gunbroker. I see that like a black market, and frankly, I don't shop on the black market. Next year or 10 years from now, I might have a higher income than "unemployed" and better afford the $80/1000. In the meantime, I have primers for other guns, which are the ones that will get used during this "dry" period. Oh, and primers will get to $80/1000 and go even higher. Some of you guys were buying primers when I was in diapers. You've seen them go from what, $10/1000 or less? I was paying $18/1000 about 15 years ago. So, in about 40 years they climbed about $8/1000? Then, in a month, they climb from $27/1000 at Sportsmans Warehouse to unavailable at any price to $80/1000 on the 'net. That's not inflation; that's gouging. The kids need some milk.....

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 02:33:47 PM »
 ;) Sweetwater, you are correct.  Before all this craziness began, I retired, and before that bought up enough stuff that I figured I will have supplies for the rest of my life. Things will stabilize, but as you said prices will rise, that was my motive for buying all this stuff 15 years ago. I realize ammo and loading supplies never get cheaper, so I decided to stock up for my up coming retirement. Glad I did :D  While I was rummaging around in my loading room, I did find an old can of powder I paid $2.45 for and a bx. primers for like 60 cents/100. Hang in there. ;)

Offline bubba

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 02:36:04 PM »
It must take a whille for the price jump to reach me here in northern new york. I bought 1000 cci large rifle primers 2 weeks ago for 23 dollars. I guess I will go back abd buy more monday.  Powder bith 4895 an dvarget were 19 bucks a pound I guess I will go get more of that monday too.  
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
Good for you!! Neither are available here, at any price; only on the Auctions!

Hey, if you see some small pistol primers for $23/1000, pm me an address that I might order from.

Wyo. Coyote Hunter -  (in Maine) in the mid-60's I bought Dad gun powder for Christmas at $3/lb.

This too will pass.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline Gohon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 02:47:12 PM »
Yeah, same here in Oklahoma............... just picked up a brick of large pistol primers (CCI) 4 days ago for $23.  But they did want $24.50 for a brick of Large Pistol magnum primers...........

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STOP buying all the crap and the prices will drop.Look guys I need a few bullets and powder but I'm not stupid enough to pay these prices ! i for one am not worried about anyone getting my guns.It's a mass hysteria thing and nothing else.Why are people such followers?It's insane,Joe Shmoe said this was going to happen,oh no! we better go buy everything we can get our hands on!It's rediculous in my book.90% of crap people worry about never happens so why worry? Worry about it when it happens!You'll live longer! I have never been one to let anybody rent any space in my head but I guess that's just me.Come on now,I'm tired of hearing about this and I want to shoot my guns.Can you help a brother out? Thanks,Let the Flamings begin! 
The last time the Dems were in office, one of their proposals was to prevent ammunition and the related dangerous components from being shipped on interstate routes. This might be buying hysteria from lessons learned back during the Clinton administration but it's not unfounded. If anyone thinks that swift governmental action against firearm ownership isn't possible, they have their head in the sand. No, it won't happen over night but if you can't get amminition to shoot your guns, they're instantly rendered useless. Should we sit back and wait for that fateful day when the supplies dry up or buy the stuff while we can? I bought mine over time and have enough to last but there are some that didn't and they're buying their components now. It's sad to think that some can't afford the hobby due to other priorities but it is what it is. Nobody is raising a hand to harm anyone, it's just a simple case of supply and demand. It's not like the gasoline market where the consumer stops shooting or buying and the price goes down due to a global glut. It's happening now, it's for real and could very well be here to stay so buy while you can before you can't buy at all.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »
The last primers I saw locally was at a Gun Show here in Sandpoint, Idaho several weeks ago @ $37/1000. All the dealers are out, except for shotgun primers, as far away as Spokane, Wa. I have several friends who are on the road quite a bit and are on the lookout. Nothing is showing up. Also, "very" little is available in gun powder. Fortunatly, I'm in pretty good shape for powder and all rifle and large pistol supplies. CCI-Speer is in Lewiston, Idaho not Back East. How is it the mid-west and east coast have them and we don't? Now that's a mystery!

Apparently there appears to be quite a disparity in prices across the country. Gun powder has been $24/lb and higher all winter. Now it's mostly gone...

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline Idaho_Elk_Huntr

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 04:10:36 PM »
Primerssouth of my area are $23 -$33.99  a brick. The more expensive are the Federal Gold Medal Match.  1 lb powder canisters $19.60 or less. 8lb $143. Sad thing is I live in Sagle, ID just down the road from Sweetwater and I havent had any problem finding what I need. He must be shoppin at Sandpoint Outfitters.  ;D

Offline tree rat

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »
any one demanding $80.00 per thousand for primers should have the s**t kicked outa them!!!! call it supply and demand if you want, there is NO EXCUSE for this. any one doing this IS part of the problem!

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 05:20:43 PM »
any one demanding $80.00 per thousand for primers should have the s**t kicked outa them!!!! call it supply and demand if you want, there is NO EXCUSE for this. any one doing this IS part of the problem!

a man has a right to charge what  he wants
a man  has a right  to buy  or  not

how  is the man  askig $80  part of the problem??
he  is  not selling  if no one  is buying
if  people  are  buying  he must have the best price

you  either beleive in  freedom/ free interprize  or you don't

the  man selling  for $80  will still have  some to offer  you 
when every one else  is  out  and  have  absolutly NOTHING   to offer  you
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Flash

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 05:29:18 PM »

Unless you've owned a business, you may not understand this but whenever you sell something, you never sell it for anything less than what you can replace it for. Even if it's old stock, when the price goes up from your distributors, so should your prices. This is how you continue to operate in the black and grow. If you don't keep in time with the market, you fall behind. Every business owner has aspirations of growth, regardless of how the consumer feels and profit means growth. If the guy selling primers for $80 a thousand can't replace them, how is it any different then not selling them at all? Actually there is an excuse for this. It's called free enterprise. Gun dealers aren't in business to make friends or help the low budget family, they are in business to make a profit. How could Winchester sell the same thing that Mossberg made for a much higher price? Don't they know that poor folk like Winchesters too? And when everybody starts paying top dollar for Winchesters, the price of Mossbergs will go up. It's a very simple equation.......it's called supply and demand.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 06:28:32 PM »
Unless you've owned a business, you may not understand this but whenever you sell something, you never sell it for anything less than what you can replace it for. Even if it's old stock, when the price goes up from your distributors, so should your prices. This is how you continue to operate in the black and grow.

No Flash, this is how you SCREW the customer and if he finds out about it you won't grow, you will lose the very base customers that you relay on to keep you in business.

What you are saying is the very thing the oil companies have been doing for years.
We all know how we felt about that $4.00 & $5.00 a gal gas.
They had thousands & thousands of gallons in bulk storage tanks bought at a bulk price much lower then it was selling for.
As the the price of gas went up so did theirs.
The only problem was they did not pay that increase because they already owned it at a lower price.
Nothing but hidden profit.
Once that supply dried up then and only then did they pay the increased price.
That is a FACT!!!

I run a very successful business and I can tell you that I do not raise the price of my invetory whenever the factories takes an increase.
That is just wrong!
When you replace said inventory then you raise the price to cover any increase you may have incured.

Now if you don't care about repeat business and plan on moving out of the area in a few years then go ahead and do it your way.
Your business won't last long because people will learn that you are nothing but a cheat and they will tell their friends.

We are dealing with third generation customers from the same families that my dad dealt with back in the 50s.
There is only three ways to build a business.
1- You have a better product at the same price as the cheap stuff.
2- You have a cheaper price than anyone else in the area for the same product.
3- You treat people fair, make a little profit & don't screw them and your business will grow.

It will take longer to build that business, but you will still be there when all the others have moved on to someplace else because no one will deal with them anymore.

AND THAT MY FRIEND IS ANOTHER FACT!!!

We built our business from $18,000.00 a year in 1967 to just over a million $ a year in 1996 by doing business our way, the old time way, the right way!

One last thing.
When ever I go out to buy a product, I look for people that run their business that way and I stick with them.

Sure we are hurting the last year or so, just as everyone else.
The only difference is I am still here and in no fear of losing my business as it is all paid for.
I owe no one a dime!
There are many in my line of business that have gone under trying to do business the way you suggest.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 11:35:30 PM »

Flame On!
An intresting concept!  Belittling, patronizing, insulting then begging?  Let me know how it works.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline bubba

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 01:28:15 AM »
Yes that is the process the oil companies have used as well as prettymuch every other business there is.  How many of you have stopped using oil products to get the prices to go down?  If you want to shoot you are going to pay.  If you dont want to pay, then dont shoot. But I do know tomorrow I will be visiting the local shop and stocking up.  It is funny you say not to buy now, but you all talked about purchasing when prices were low so you would not have to when they went up.  It was everyone running out and stocking up and buying in huge quantities that drove the prices up.  Now you want to complain the prices are up and supply is depleted.  Hmmm interesting.  There is not an address to order supplies form my local guy. Plus why would I give that out on hereor to anyone individually if there was one so everyone could deplete his stock and then I pay the big money. Sounds kind of counter productive to me.

Molon Labe

Offline Flash

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 01:51:29 AM »
Unless you've owned a business, you may not understand this but whenever you sell something, you never sell it for anything less than what you can replace it for. Even if it's old stock, when the price goes up from your distributors, so should your prices. This is how you continue to operate in the black and grow.

No Flash, this is how you SCREW the customer and if he finds out about it you won't grow, you will lose the very base customers that you relay on to keep you in business.

What you are saying is the very thing the oil companies have been doing for years.
We all know how we felt about that $4.00 & $5.00 a gal gas.
They had thousands & thousands of gallons in bulk storage tanks bought at a bulk price much lower then it was selling for.
As the the price of gas went up so did theirs.
The only problem was they did not pay that increase because they already owned it at a lower price.
Nothing but hidden profit.
Once that supply dried up then and only then did they pay the increased price.
That is a FACT!!!

I run a very successful business and I can tell you that I do not raise the price of my invetory whenever the factories takes an increase.
That is just wrong!
When you replace said inventory then you raise the price to cover any increase you may have incured.

Now if you don't care about repeat business and plan on moving out of the area in a few years then go ahead and do it your way.
Your business won't last long because people will learn that you are nothing but a cheat and they will tell their friends.

We are dealing with third generation customers from the same families that my dad dealt with back in the 50s.
There is only three ways to build a business.
1- You have a better product at the same price as the cheap stuff.
2- You have a cheaper price than anyone else in the area for the same product.
3- You treat people fair, make a little profit & don't screw them and your business will grow.

It will take longer to build that business, but you will still be there when all the others have moved on to someplace else because no one will deal with them anymore.

AND THAT MY FRIEND IS ANOTHER FACT!!!

We built our business from $18,000.00 a year in 1967 to just over a million $ a year in 1996 by doing business our way, the old time way, the right way!

One last thing.
When ever I go out to buy a product, I look for people that run their business that way and I stick with them.

Sure we are hurting the last year or so, just as everyone else.
The only difference is I am still here and in no fear of losing my business as it is all paid for.
I owe no one a dime!
There are many in my line of business that have gone under trying to do business the way you suggest.

LONGTOM
To each his own.........my friend! You must not have too much competition. The gas stations are a good example, to further elaborate on the principle you calim is financial ruin. The price of oil goes up and instantly, the price at the pump is changed. Do you think that they have a pipe line that's feeding them directly from the refinery? Their price is based upon what they can currently buy their gas for, not what they paid for it. I guess a 1965 Corvette shouldn't sell for more than about $4,000 since the buyer couldn't have paid any more for it? It's easy to point the finger at someone or something but simple economics are driving the prices and the fear of the Democrats are driving the buying frenzy. I've seen more gunshops close due to the "Fired Case" law than anything in the 52 years of my life and it had nothing to do with price gouging. High prices won't scare away business if the high priced dealer is the only game in town. Eventually, if someone wants primers, they'll have to pay the high prices or go without.
I have a business where my time is the most expensive commodity and even though the customer might not like it, they either pay it or go somewhere else. I have tons of competition and tons of repeat customers and with less than half the overhead of my competition. Should I charge less because my overhead is less? Heck No! I charge what everyone else charges and have fewer expenses as a result of how I operate my business. I'm not breaking any law or code of ethics and business is doing quite well.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 03:03:14 AM »
i for one am not worried about anyone getting my guns.

You should be.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Flash

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 03:05:51 AM »
i for one am not worried about anyone getting my guns.

You should be.

I concur!! ::)

Offline catkiller

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 04:26:38 AM »
I'm not worried because I will not give up my guns!Enough said.
" A woman's breast is the hardest rock the almighty ever put on this earth and I can find no sign on it!"_ Will Geer (Bearclaw Chris Lapp) from Jeremiah Johnson.[/quote]

Offline Flash

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 05:51:07 AM »
Hope you don't become the Cat.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 12:37:12 PM »

Yes you will.  You've already given up full autos, short rifles, and sawed off shotguns..
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 02:43:29 PM »
I'm glad I was out of work for a few months last year and go ahead on my realoding.   ;D

And now I'm back to work, and barely have time to shoot it. :o
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
Have to admit I'm kind of a pack-rat.  Come by it honest though, Mom and Dad were after struggling for most of their lives to get ahead farming.  I have always keep a back stock of everything I need to reload since I started years ago.  Have always bought things ahead when they were on sale and at garage sales.  I don't appologize to anyone for having what I have now.  That said, price gouging is a crock of crap whether it's gas or primers.  Longtom, if I knew what you sell and I needed some, I would be calling an order in to ya.  I'd say that's my 2 cents worth, but I just raised it to a nickle!  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 06:36:32 PM »
I can see what some of you are saying, but as far as the oil companies prices go it is a case of hidden profit since they did not pay the price it is selling for now.
In other words the bigger companies buy on the futures and lock in a price long before.
If the price goes up they make extra profit.
If the price drops below what they have paid most, not all but most hold until the price goes back up.

The comment about the 65 vette is not rational here as it is not something that can be produced with the next order.
It has to be something readily available, or in other words, something that is bought and sold on a regular basis.

I am in the livestock trailer business.
I sell horse and cattle trailers.
There is quit a bit of competition around my area.
Granted not as much as there once was due to the fact that so many have gone under due to difference things.
A few went under because they could not compete with me or my prices.
I don't know how I stand right now as far as sales go but three years ago when my business was booming I was the second biggest trailer dealer on the East coast and the biggest livestock trailer dealer in the same area.
The only dealer who was any bigger in gross #s of units was my sister who is in the same business.
She was and still is the largest trailer dealer on the East coast for gross #s of units sold in a year.
She is my biggest competition, friendly, but still a competitor.

No, you are not breaking any laws or code of ethics.
I didn't say that.
I just don't agree with that way of doing business.
Nothing wrong with making a profit, after all that is what you are in business for.
I just feel that I don't have to make it all off of each and every customer.
Just my way of doing business.

Another example of my style of business:
I was selling new GM trucks also in my business for about 10 years until they got over about $25,000 for a new Dually.
I was buying direct from GM through my local GM dealer.
He got a commission off each new truck I bought.
I was buying under fleet owners discount.
I was buying 10 new 1 ton Duallys at a time and paying for them all at once when ordered.
I would put a modest profit on them and still was underselling the local GM dealers by many thousands of $.
They didn't mind because they didn't want to tie up that much money in inventory, and they were still getting a commission from them.
I was selling quite a few new trucks and it didn't take long for word to spread that I was underselling GM.
I was not franchised so there was nothing GM could do about it
since I was a private dealer.
The only thing that eventually stooped me was when the prices got over $25,000 most of the customers could not find their own financing.
I did not offer financing like the GM dealership does.
Just as you, I didn't have the overhead the local GM dealer had and was able to sell at a cheaper price.
I could have charged more and still have undersold them but I felt I was doing fine the way I was.
I would not have done as well if I had been selling at the same price as the local dealership.

Just the way I was brought up I guess.

Now as for the comment about everyone running out and stocking up on ammo that drove the prices up.
My stock pile of ammo & components was a product of over 35 years worth of buying a little here and a little there when prices were reasonable.
I didn't run out and buy tons of the stuff all at once.
Just like now, most people who watched knew that there was a good chance that THE LIAR IN THE WHITE HOUSE was going to win the election and had heard what he wanted to do as far as the price of ammo & firearm are concerned and started buying over a year and a half ago.
It is the ones who waited until now who are crying the loudest about no ammo and the high price.
The new gun owners didn't have that chance, but most of the others has had plenty of time to stock up.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 06:52:44 PM »
Primerssouth of my area are $23 -$33.99  a brick. The more expensive are the Federal Gold Medal Match.  1 lb powder canisters $19.60 or less. 8lb $143. Sad thing is I live in Sagle, ID just down the road from Sweetwater and I havent had any problem finding what I need. He must be shoppin at Sandpoint Outfitters.  ;D

Actually, no. Been to Black Sheep, Sportsmans Warehouse, and Cabela's, as well as the smaller shops on Govt Way in Couer d'alene several weeks in a row and the only primers on their shelves are shotgun#209 and very small selection of gunpowder. No Ramshot powders, no Reloader numbers, no Winchester numbers, and precious little Hodgdon powder. I saw the prices you quoted back when they had any, about a month or so ago. Gal at Black Sheep said she was making up an order, but had no idea when it might be in.
Do you have any insight here? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm seriously in search of small pistol primers and have yet to find any other than what I posted earlier about "on the 'net at $80/1000".

I'm all ears!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »
There are no reloading or gun shops in my town.  I have to fly to Anchorage to buy stuff from a store and can't get powder delivered by UPS or FedEx. I don't get to Anchorage often but was there last week. I wasn't prepared to see how stripped the gun shops were.  Some had bullets, like Great Northern Guns, but Sportsman's Warehouse was almost totally stripped of bullets but had a couple bricks of Federal Primers. Since I live remote its a natural thing to hoard  your supplies and pick some up as they are available. I have quite a stash of supplies mostly by accident but I'm glad for it now. 

I heard a clerk at Great Northern say they'd heard another store was selling some powder for $38 per pound. GNG had some Unique and some thing else but I didn't check the price. Last year I was a little low on powder so rounded up about 8 pounds and shipped it to myself.  The more the better for me as then I only have to pay one haz-mat fee and packing fee for airfreight.

I hope though that we don't end up with everyone glutted and then the manufacturers go broke when people quit buying their products.  What a mess.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Idaho_Elk_Huntr

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 09:31:47 AM »

Actually, no. Been to Black Sheep, Sportsmans Warehouse, and Cabela's, as well as the smaller shops on Govt Way in Couer d'alene several weeks in a row and the only primers on their shelves are shotgun#209 and very small selection of gunpowder. No Ramshot powders, no Reloader numbers, no Winchester numbers, and precious little Hodgdon powder. I saw the prices you quoted back when they had any, about a month or so ago. Gal at Black Sheep said she was making up an order, but had no idea when it might be in.
Do you have any insight here? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm seriously in search of small pistol primers and have yet to find any other than what I posted earlier about "on the 'net at $80/1000".

I'm all ears!

Regards,
Sweetwater

Black Sheep is where In have been buying powder and primers In the last 2 months I have picked up probably 20,0000 primers and 40 lbs of powder.  I have only been interested in LR and LRM primers. I have been finding these eary Friday when they first open. I was at the gun show at the fair grounds and the people from Sandpoint Oout fittersn had mag rifle primers for $39 a brick. There was a man there that also had Winchester primers of all flavors form $31 a brick. If you would like to pm me your number I will let you know if I see pistol primers anywhere. Or if you have any to trade I might find some that way.

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 06:06:40 AM »
I think the madness is ending.  I note that Cabelas had some 45 LC Remington cases for sale yesterday. They sold out but that they had them at all is like the first crocus of spring.  The crazy winter is coming to an end.