Author Topic: fireworks and hearing damage  (Read 804 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
fireworks and hearing damage
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:28:26 AM »
i more then likey know the answer to this but, can fireworks cause hearing damage and should you wear hearing protectson when setting them off?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
Re: fireworks and hearing damage
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »
Are you serious?

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
Just make sure you don't put them up to your ear.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:47:51 AM »
Yes, any sudden loud report can permanently damage your hearing.  I wish, years ago, I had know then what I know now!!  Working in my dad's auto body/welding shop with no hearing protection; shooting guns all the time with no muffs; and running machinery during my teen years all worked to cause problems today.  I would never be caught without a small container with hearing protectors in it in my pocket.  Do everything you can to take care of your hearing!

Arch

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:55:39 AM »
Fireworks were very common around Christmas time when I was a child in the 50's  We shot them by the thousands.  My ears are still ringing 50 years later.  Hearing aids will not help.  It's nerve deafness.  Damage was mostly to higher frequencies - about 3500 and up.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:12:37 AM »
when i was little we used to set off and throw fireworks at each all the time. We had M-80s,M-90, and something  called the M-500 which was the size of a bucket. I guess that why my ears ring to this day and sometimes i can't hear what people are saying. I wear my muffs or hearing protector now all the time when i shoot guns, go to car races, and anything like that.  I really wish they would have put a waring or something on those thing.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:21:09 AM »
I really wish they would have put a waring or something on those thing.

Well really Jamal, how much more warning did you need after you heard the first m-80 go off?
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »
i was 8, we thought it was fun. My hearing is still good, i can hear very soft sounds(like a rat moving in the grass) i just can't hear people sometimes. i was sitting in the liveing room with the t.v on and i hear my pet rat sally running arcoss my bed and i got her. the ear doc. saids there nothing wrong with my hearing.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:07:16 AM »
This is NOT the fireworks forum!!!

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 02:37:19 AM »
Loud rock music can also damage your hearing.

Is this the rock music forum?

Now that I think of it, a loud chain saw or lawn mower can damage your hearing.  There is no loss of hearing warning pasted on my Stihl equipment.  I wonder if I can sue them if I am stupid and don't use hearing protection.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 03:55:02 AM »
Maybe, if there is enough demand, we can talk the Chinese into importing a "Light" firecracker.  You know, half the bang, for tender American ears.....
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 06:25:05 AM »
You guys have all been fooled into having a discussion...  I guess I was fooled too...

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 11:02:57 AM »
Naw, its just some of this stuff is so off the wall, you have to say something...lol

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 11:31:44 AM »
well this is something that people don't think about. I know there were a lot of shooter that did not wear hearing protection when fireing .22LR guns or any small bores back in the day and now they have to  paid for it.