Author Topic: Need a .357 load (cast bullet) with Unique for 1894C.  (Read 1567 times)

Offline kmystry

• Trade Count: (0)
Need a .357 load (cast bullet) with Unique for 1894C.
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:52:11 AM »
I have a few 500 ct. boxes of 158 gr. LSWC bullets (no gas check) that I'd like to load up in .357 mag cases for my 1894C.  I would like to find a good load using Unique that'll take 'er to the "leading point" of around 1000 fps.  I'm just not finding the loads in my data that I'm happy with. I have lots of Unique, too, so I will be using this powder.  I realize that it is a medium load powder in .357 mag.
Anyone got a pet load under these parameters?

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Need a .357 load (cast bullet) with Unique for 1894C.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:21:07 PM »
In Rem. .357 cases, I've used 4.6 and 6.5gr of Unique with a 158SWC "home cast" bullet. Another load that feeds well in my .357 "Puma", is 4.2gr of Unique with a 158SWC bullet in .38Special cases.

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 06:55:35 PM »
You'll have to use 38spl loadings to get that low(1000 fps) out of a rifle with Unique. Better bet would be a different powder charge! Red dot/Green dot, W231 where you can load lighter charges. Unique is for Medium loads not light loads.
One shot , One Kill

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:51:04 PM »
I do not use SWC in a Marlin (they work fine in a 92 Winchester or clone of one) but I have had jams of the sharp edge of the bullet hanging up on the chamber mouth.  Instead I use a 158 gr lead Flat point bullet and 7 gr of Unique.  This load does not lead with 50-50 allox and bees wax lube.  However,  When I shoot bullets lubed with hard lube I need to drop the powder charge to 6.5 gr to avoid leading.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 06:15:20 PM »
I do not use SWC in a Marlin (they work fine in a 92 Winchester or clone of one) but I have had jams of the sharp edge of the bullet hanging up on the chamber mouth.  Instead I use a 158 gr lead Flat point bullet and 7 gr of Unique.  This load does not lead with 50-50 allox and bees wax lube.  However,  When I shoot bullets lubed with hard lube I need to drop the powder charge to 6.5 gr to avoid leading.

This.  Don't use LSWCs in a Marlin lever gun.  The manual actually says not to, and there's a reason for it, which I learned the hard way.  As Nick points out, the sharp shoulder on the LSWCs will hang trying to feed from the Marlin.  I got a bit rambunctious trying to get one in my .357 Mag 1894C one day and broke it.

The lifter assembly that lifts cartridges up to be fed to the chamber pivots on a pin and is spring-loaded.  I sheared the pin off and the spring got mangled.  I had to buy an entire replacement lifter assembly because I couldn't find just he pin and spring.  It was a simple enough part to change out, but lesson learned.  I'll be using 158 grain LRN bullets for mine in the future.  The SWCs will go through the revolvers from now on.

My practice load is a 158 gr. lead bullet pushed by 6 grains of Unique.  I've used this in my .357 Mag revolvers and my lever action.  It's reasonably mild, at least compared to the load of 2400 I push 158 gr. JHPs with.  :)

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »
Funny I use LEE's 158 SWC in my Marlin and they feed just fine.  ???
One shot , One Kill

Offline jmabrey

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 12:49:37 AM »
I have a 1894 44 mag. From what I could find the manual says it's not designed to use "wadcutters" or shotshells.

"If your rifle is chambered for 357 Magnum, it is designed to handle 357 Magnum factory- loaded ammunition (except wad cutters and shot shells"

Also-Marlin does not make any recommendations with regard to handloaded ammunition.

I load and shoot cast semi wadcutters, xtp's, noslers, berry  plated bullets and factory loads and there are lots of people who do too. just cycle slower and clean with casts more. unless they don't work in your gun.

as for the original request for unique load- http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=240&shellid=33&bulletid=52

and http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=3&cartridge=33

good luck

Offline Gohon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 02:59:59 AM »
Don't use LSWCs in a Marlin lever gun.  The manual actually says not to

No, it doesn't say that at all.  What the manual does say is not to use wadcutters.  My Marlin loads LSWC just fine with no problems.  Only time I've seen someone with a problem was because they didn't have a proper roll crimp.  The use of a little bit of 400 grit Emory cloth  will smooth that chamber mouth right up if you don't want to wait for normal break-in to do it for you. 

jmabrey's link seems to be exactly what your looking for but I think with proper bore fit you may find you can drive them a little faster with no leading.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »
Don't use LSWCs in a Marlin lever gun.  The manual actually says not to

No, it doesn't say that at all.  What the manual does say is not to use wadcutters.  My Marlin loads LSWC just fine with no problems.  Only time I've seen someone with a problem was because they didn't have a proper roll crimp.  The use of a little bit of 400 grit Emory cloth  will smooth that chamber mouth right up if you don't want to wait for normal break-in to do it for you. 

I bought my .357 Magnum chambered Marlin used.  It had been shot quite a bit and was well past the break-in period.  There's nothing wrong with my roll crimp, and it was hanging SWC loads on the shoulder of the bullet, not the case mouth.  I'll stick with RNFPs or JHPs for my Marlin and leave the SWCs for the wheelguns.

Offline Gohon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 02:50:52 AM »
Wasn't saying that was your problem, only that was the problem I'd seen with Marlin levers that would not feed SWC.  On the other hand it may be the lifter timing on your gun may be off and not coming all the way up.  It only takes a few thousands of a inch to cause problems.  A smith should be able to check it out for you. 

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »
On the other hand it may be the lifter timing on your gun may be off and not coming all the way up.  It only takes a few thousands of a inch to cause problems.  A smith should be able to check it out for you. 

That may be the case.  When it broke, it sheared the pivot pin and mangled the spring for the lifter.  I had to replace the entire lifter assembly because I couldn't find just the pin and spring.  I wonder if that may have fixed it.  Guess I'll have to try some SWCs to find out.  If not, I can always burn them up through the revolvers and stick with RNFPs and JHPs for the rifle.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 06:38:35 AM »
Well  It seems that there is a split down the middle as to the SWC casts working , I would say try them and if they dont want to work with you ... Then leave them for the wheel gun and buy up some RNFPs (round nose flat point) and you shouldnt have any issues ... I use missouri bullet companys 250gr RNFP lead in my Uberti (brass) 45lc lever and wheel gun with no issues at all ... And i have the same style bullet from hunter's supply 240 gr RNFP for my 44 mag again no ill effects from rifle or revolver ... Accuracy is great from all 4 weapons .. In my Winchester 94 AE 357 mag i havent gotten around to using lead yet , though that is just a matter of time ... point being that the cost of lead is such that you have the freedom to get what works with out killing the bank book ....

These are some of the listings i have for multiple refferences.

Lee Reloader Manuel lists the 158 lead and unique @ 6.2 start - 6.8 max

Hornady lists in their rifle section a loading for for unique and a 158 gr lead @ 3.7 start - 5.3 max   ( this is the lowest powder/velocity loading i have, and it might be for the lead bullets that hornady offers , them seem softer them my other leads)

RCBS lists rifle data, a unique and 159 gr lead @ 6.2 start - 7.2 max

Hope this helps you out. Good luck with it and be safe ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline timothy

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 03:54:47 PM »
I doubt that box of 500 is soft cast lswc. If their hardcast theres no reason to load them so low they wont lead. In fact I'd load em up recoil wont be an issue. Can you scar the bullets with your fingernail btw?