Author Topic: What Kind of Dies for a BLR?  (Read 497 times)

Offline HuntAway

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Their service for our freedom. Thank a Veteran!
What Kind of Dies for a BLR?
« on: April 08, 2009, 07:48:25 AM »
I have a 308 & 300 win mag BLR's should I use regular Lee full size dies or should I use the RCBS Small Base Die set?

Thanks,

HA

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
Re: What Kind of Dies for a BLR?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:01:45 AM »
I've used neck sizing only on my older BLR.  Since the BLR has the camming action of the rotating head, like a bolt action, I haven't found the need to FL size cases, like in a Winchester 94 or Marlin 336.

Offline HuntAway

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:48:23 AM »
Thanks NC.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:07:51 AM »
RCBS used to make a small base die just for the BAR.  It was marked as a BAR die.  Only seen one and it was a 7mm mag.  I don't know much about loading for the BLR so I can't help.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 12:30:15 PM »
I have loaded for a 358 and 308 Win, with RCBS FL dies for years and years with no problems.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »
Small base dies are a pain and not needed.  Stand full length dies, carefully adusted to fit the chamber, are all I've needed for several BLR's.

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 12:17:54 AM »
Curious.....what is it that you don't like about small base dies. How might they make the process more difficult or time consuming compared to full length die sets? Or is your dislike for small base dies due to functionality or accuracy issues for any given rifle/caliber?

I'm curious because I've used small base die sets (nothing but RCBS) for years for my semi-autos, including my 30-06 BAR, and have not noticed any ill effects or concerns whatsoever. In fact, the numerous loads, irregardless of caliber, have proven to be extremely accurate and function flawlessly in my firearms.

Please share your thoughts. 
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 02:20:35 AM »
i too use them for ar15s and have no idea what would make the job harder. All you can do is try a regular set. take some brass that was fired in another gun and size it. If it works youll be fine if it doesnt you need sb dies. Neck sizing does work if your using brass that was fired in that specific gun and in a blr it would probably work longer then most lever guns but eventually your brass will need to be full lenght sized.
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 04:09:26 AM »
I use the SB dies for any ammo that might be used in a semi auto or lever rifle. (Don't own a BLR)  I am very happy with the function and accuracy I get with this ammo. Never had any problems related to their use, as they are used as a FLSD, I too am puzzled as to how they made loading more difficult or problems they might have caused Blackhawk44.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »
I used Lee FL dies to reload a batch of 308s for a buddy with a Remington 742( the type of gun you would think most in need of a small base die) and it worked just fine. In theory, a small base die will work the brass more but the experiences reported here seem to indicate that to be of little consequence. Like many things in reloading( and life ) what works often flies in the face theory.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 11:25:36 AM »
My dislike of SB dies is due to the extra effort needed on the press handle as compared to the standard FL dies.  In my experience of some years, the extra effort needed has proven neither necessary nor of proven benefit.  This has been found to be so for everything from BLR's and 742's to Garands and black rifles.  I have no fault of others' experiences, though.     

Offline Savage

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 04:25:11 PM »
Hummmm-------hadn't noticed the extra effort. Small base dies are sometimes needed to insure the ammo will function in any rifle of that caliber.  That is an absolute requirement for my ammo. The SB dies were developed to insure that happens by returning the case to factory specs in the critical web area. One of my ARs requires their use, the other runs just fine with full length sizing. The majority of my 5.56 brass is range brass, fired in numerous rifles. I like to keep it simple, I run it all thru the SB die. Can't tell any difference in case life. Usually when the brass is trashed it's because of loose primer pockets or neck cracks. Don't have many cracks, usually lose the brass before that happens-----lol.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline HuntAway

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 01:23:45 PM »
Thank you all for your input. It seems to be a try it and see what happens sort of thing. I'll stick with the FL dies for now and see how things go.

Thanks again.

Huntaway

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »
I actually found that the problem I bought the my one SB die for was solved by simply paying more attention to the lube on the expander of a standard FL sizing die.