Author Topic: How much  (Read 425 times)

Offline 7 MM

• Trade Count: (0)
How much
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:16:53 AM »
Realy I looked.
I realize this could be a loaded question , but here goes.
With all of the shortages going on and sure to come how much powder and primers do you think someone should have on hand?
Without going into all of the SHTF senerios what would be the basic amount.
I have seen where a guy had 20000 primers and 50 lbs of each powder! I think that is a little overboard but am open to suggestions.

I would like to hear someones honest decisions on what they think each of us should have!

7 MM

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
Re: How much
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:57:39 AM »
I have 2 lbs. of powder, 250 bullets, 160 cases, and 500 primers.
If i use them just for hunting and sighting in, like usual, it is enough for one year (i usually buy 1 year supplies).
If they become illegal (they won't), i will just shoot them in one day; i won't be troubled by having huge supplies.
I will send a few letters to my governor and representatives about preserving reloading without bar codes, microchips, taxes, or other such hindrance.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:02:04 AM »
7MM

That will depend on the amount you shoot , myself its around 2000 rounds a month between , handgun and rifle . So I try to keep at least a 2 month supply on hand for primers , as for powder I have somewere between 30 and 35 pounds of diffrent ones just because I load so many diffrent rounds .

I have started to cast my own pistol bullets so that cuts down on the number of those that I need to keep on hand , while my 22 cal rifles I keep around 500 of each one that I use the most like the 55g Hornady V-max .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:39 PM »
 I have not bought any 'big game' bullets in a year or so, I even sold 2000 FMJ extras I had. I have plenty. I have bought some .224 'varmint' type bullets. I go through those much faster now that I found out how much fun dogtown can be. I was in my travels today & found some Hodgdon 4895, so I bought 2.
NRA, Veteran

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »
I stocked up, but it was by accident. I thought I was going on a PD hunt this spring so I stocked up a little more than usual last fall, before the Obama panic especially on powder and primers. I bought most of my supplies on line and when you order powder or primers the hazmat fee only makes it worth while if you buy large quantities. I normally buy this in much smaller quantities locally, but even last fall the supplies were drying up locally, so I ordered on line. I have some where around 6K small rifle primers, which I use the most of and around 2K small pistol primers and some where around 1.5K large pistol primers and some where around 800 large rifle primers. I have about 33 pounds of various powders, but have 16 more coming - a 8 pound keg of VV N133 (my favorite) and 8 pound keg of Ramshot TAC. Both are for some of my .224 cal guns. I have plenty of bullets, but mostly .224 of various makes and weights. I have plenty of brass. Since I more than likely will not be going on the PD hunt, I have a few years worth of supplies on some items, maybe 6 months on others. Like I said, I did not really stock up on purpose, I just thought I was going to be using it up pretty quick and ordered large quantities because of the shipping fees and to give me some thing to do over the winter. It is the most supplies I have had - ever. I normally do not keep even 6 months worth of any thing and usually only a couple of months. I am done buying until the panic is over, and it will be one of these days - they are still making supplies so when everyone has had their fill, it will start showing up again. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline GameHauler

• Trade Count: (49)
  • A Real Regular
  • Thank you Every One for Positive Feedback
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:50:51 PM »
Since I only got into loading a little over a year ago I do not have as much as I would like but feel pretty good about what I have acquired in a relatively short time
and my limited funds.
I have about 40#'s of powder
around 16K of various primers
and about 6500 various bullets
Of course that does not count all the loaded ammo on hand.
I would have more primers and powder on hand but my local shop has not had allot of what I wanted the last few trips and still manage to spend about $250.00 a trip.
Sure glad it is out of my way to go by there ::)
Mike

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 01:02:27 PM »
how much do you shoot ? they say primers will be short for 12 to 18 mos . that might be a good place to start . how much do you need to get thru. 18 mos ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline wncchester

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »
"..how much powder and primers do you think someone should have on hand?"

Good grief.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 06:30:34 PM »
18 months, then pray for a resurgence of pro gun legislators, or the point is moot.  At least we still have Dingell, one of VERY few pro gun democrats.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 12:51:50 AM »
With all of the shortages going on and sure to come how much powder and primers do you think someone should have on hand?
Without going into all of the SHTF senerios what would be the basic amount.
I would like to hear someones honest decisions on what they think each of us should have!

7 MM

You don't need ANY, you just need 1 20 round box of Federal Gold Dot bullets for the handgun of your choice and 1 5 round box of 00 Buckshot in the gage of your choice.  That will stop the mad rush for components, it will leave the scalpers stuck with tons of powder, primer and bullets that they will be begging someone to take for 20 cents on the dollar.  ;D  (how's that for wishful thinking?)

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 06:40:10 AM »
If it was not for sporting then why the stock piles ?
In a SHTF EOTW time you can take what you need when you need it . And componets won't be on the shopping list .
That  is if you are one of the lucky ones .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !