Author Topic: Remington small pistol primers  (Read 281 times)

Offline markp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Remington small pistol primers
« on: April 09, 2009, 03:53:45 PM »
I found some remington 5 1/2  small pistol primers at a small shop. Question is this. They came in an orange and green box. The same color I saw almost 20 years ago when I started reloading. Does remington use the same colors today or are these older primers ?

Also I asked for small pistol magnum primers. Is the 5 1/2 a mag primer ?  Any differance say between
cci  and remington small pistol primers ?

Thanks

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Remington small pistol primers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »
This is the box color I'm familiar with: (Not exactly color perfect reproduction)

And yes the #5 1/2 is the Remington Small Pistol Magnum.

The #1 1/2 would be the Remington Small Pistol

Bill

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:37:23 AM »
 I am still shooting loads sparked with primers my GRANDFATHER BOUGHT!!!! I have yet to have an issue with them!! BUT its all about how they where stored, not there age.

Recently some have had big problems with Remington primers. I have had about a half dozen cartons of rem primers for years with no problems. Al-tho I have never used the pistol primers from Remington.

The best advice I can offer is if you trust the handling of those primers, from that dealer, yes buy them. If not, pass on them.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline markp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 04:10:50 AM »
Thats the box OR-E-GUN BILL. Appears to be a  current packageing then. I was  just surprised to see the same colors from many years ago.   

cwlongshot  thanks. I am sure there will work fine.

An old timer helped me load my first box of ammo in about 93 ? When we were done he put the rounds  in a
remington box for unprimed brass which had these same colors as the primers I bought. So seeing the two side by side when I got home  made me wonder if these were current production primers.

I was happey to get them with the spotty  availability we are experiancing and didnt want to question the shop owner and appear ungrateful.

Thanks Guys

Happey Trails