Author Topic: Shotgun balance?  (Read 384 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Shotgun balance?
« on: April 10, 2009, 02:19:03 AM »
Out of idle curiousity, what is the optimum balance for a shotgun used for hunting? Assuming you try to balance the firearm right in front of the trigger guard, is it better to be slightly muzzle heavy or should it be slightly butt heavy? Or for that matter how about 'neutral'? I've got several synthetic stocked shotguns that I'm determined to add some weight to. I figured while I was at it I place the weight for optimal balance. Hope this all makes sense!

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: Shotgun balance?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 06:00:12 PM »

I think it's a personnel mater of preference. Anywhere from just in front of the hinge pin to the trigger guard would work. Whatever feels best to you. My son's old Topper has the blue worn off on the front of the trigger guard and a portion of the frame where he carries it. Not abused, just honest wear.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Shotgun balance?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:50:19 AM »
I agree with Rustyinfla.  Its a preferrence thing. I love my 22in barrels, but honestly, I think my 24in Tracker's are better balanced...for shooting anyway.  Also, I prefer wood stocks over synthetic because the synthetic stocks just don't feel right, balance wise, to me.

If it feels good to you, you will shoot it better and ultimately, thats what its all about.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"