Author Topic: New build - thundermug!  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
New build - thundermug!
« on: April 10, 2009, 06:09:40 PM »
New build. Decided against the new scare gun, I'm making a thundermug instead.

And I need it, soon, the birds have renewed their assault of my shop.

Backstory: When the new roof was installed on the shop where I work, a flat metal roof was simply built above the old arched wood/shingle roof. Holes were cut in the old roof for the supports. The arch is open on the back end, where it extends into a shelter, and this lets birds into the shop. The holes give them access to the space between the two roofs. An extremely tempting nesting area.

So most every spring I am invaded by birds that perch on the roof beams and do what birds do. All over the equipment. If you scare them out while they are nesting, they'll stay out.

Firecrackers don't scare them at all, they ignore them. Black powder, OTOH, scares the tailfeathers off'em. And since I retired the old scare gun, nothing can make the boom that the birds so love to hate. Acetylene bombs are close but dangerous, and have been declared off-limits.

So the thundermug will be the new bird scare device.

Got the steel tube done, save for a little polishing. It's bored and turned from a solid piece of the same chrome-plated 1045 hydraulic cylinder rod I used for my GB mortar.

Still needs to be vented so it can be test-fired outside. One ounce of Fg should do nicely. Then it'll be loaded with a reduced charge and start earning its keep in the shop. It'll need to be fired daily for a few days, then a couple times a week for the next month or so.

The tube is 8.625" OAL (dictated by the length of this piece of stock). The bore is 1" in diameter, 7.250" deep, with a hemispherical bottom. The reason that the bore doesn't extend deeper is that I didn't completely remove the center drill spot on the bottom, I left it to be used during machining. That meant the the bore would have to stop at 1" from that hole, not the bottom of the tube. The section between the base and the first band, over the chamber, is 3" in diameter. So nowhere in the chamber area is it less than one caliber thick.

That photo shows the scale, but because of the camera angle it doesn't really show the taper well. Here is a more direct shot.

I haven't decided whether I'll install the flash pan underneath the vent. If I use it, it'll be cut from steel plate and welded on. And of course, it'll need a handle, but these are things that can be added to it after it's made functional.

I hope to have it firing Monday, and finished by the end of next week.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: New build - thundermug!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 06:42:37 PM »
While I like a good boom as much as the next guy, I must ask why you don't cover the openings with 1/4" hardware cloth to allow ventilation but disallow birds?  I have a similar building that used to be occupied by pigeons, the openings of which I covered with the hardware cloth.  They are still ventilated but are now pigeonless.  And no chance of starting a fire.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 07:15:34 PM »
First of all, it's not my building. I call it "my shop" because I am in charge of and responsible for it when I'm there. But it's not mine, and I have no say in the planning of or purchasing for remodelling projects.

Second, it would be a major undertaking to try to seal this place up. There are a lot more openings than the major ones I described. And some places would not take well to hammering.

The management doesn't want to spend the time or money for a project like this. It would involve re-siding parts of the shop, replacing dozens of broken out windows that have been barred, and making extensive repairs to the old roof.

They would rather I just made the birds go away.

This is the shop where I weld, cut, gouge, grind, and all manner of activities that throw huge amounts of sparks (and hot molten slag) everywhere. It's much more likely that a fire could be caused by these day-to-day activities than the occasional (and very carefully controlled) discharge of a little black powder. I don't plan to go through several pounds of powder a week. The mug will be carefully placed, probably pointing towards the large opened steel bay doors like I did with the scare gun, and shot using the minimum amount of powder that will give a resonant boom. Which indoors isn't going to be very much.

And finally, because this is just way more fun than carpentry!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »
 A pellet gun is fun if you can retrieve the dead birds.  :)

Some eradication outfits use airguns inside of buildings.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 04:00:12 AM »
Cats.  Cheap if not free, don't eat much, and unlike dogs, they walk and bathe themselves.  Rodents also cease to be a problem when cats show up.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:26:14 AM »
Agree.  Cats.  Set it up right and it's like watching Wild Kingdom LIVE!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 05:09:00 AM »
Cats? That whole block is lousy with stray cats. And they are the most lazy, pathetically unmotivated hunters you would ever want to see. Probably because there are a couple of elderly people dropping off cat food for them every day.

So if everyone is finished telling me why I don't need a thundermug, I'll get back to work on it...

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »
Have to agree about cat's.  They are lazy and do not live up to their reputation as mousers.  Far over rated.  Cats will only kill mice if it is an easy kill, same with birds.  If a house cat catches one it will play with it for hours and the mouse might still get away. 

You want mice and rats killed get one of the small terrier breed dogs.  They will seek out and destroy mice and rats.  They will catch one kill it and go find another, and do it all day long.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 08:16:13 AM »
Can't disagree about the terriers.  Cats you have to train.  I used to hunt with with mine - mostly squirrels.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 08:39:48 AM »
Terry,
I COMPLETELY agree with you about NEEDING the thunder mugs. In fact you should consider six or so, loaded, and fuzed with linstock rope so they go off every 1/2 hour or so!

I think I want a thunder mug now...:)

Thx
MikeR C

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »
I think I want a thunder mug now...:)

When it comes to cannon and mortars (and thundermugs), "want" is as good a reason as any.

Vent drilled today.

Outdoor test fire tomorrow (weather permitting).

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 01:32:50 PM »
It's time I made one.  The only thundermug I've got is porcelain coated steel with a blue stripe at the top!

But it does have a deep rich mellow sound!   ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 12:12:28 PM »
It speaks!

Click on the image for video...

One ounce charge for the testfire. It will probably not see a full charge again for awhile.

The handle, and probably a flash pan, will be added as time permits.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »
Sweet! Terry, you see what you have now gone an done.. I think I may need one those thunder mugs.. ;D

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 04:15:28 PM »
Got the Electric hooked up to lathe yesterday.  Bolting and leveling comes next as soon this little cold snap passes-need som good heat in the shop..  Keep stubbing my toe on a chunk steel Wes Pilley gave me ...humm that piece of steel looks like it might have a thunder mug in it!!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »
Hmmm.  First thought is to simply remove all that isn't a thunder mug and ...

2nd thought is:  WHAT about doing a seires on MICRO thundermugs?

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 05:53:59 PM »
Ya know, I once considered doing just that. Not really on a micro-scale, but something about .50 caliber and bookshelf-sized (maybe 3 to 4 inches tall).

Like a lot of my ideas, it never went anywhere. But it could be revived.

On a micro scale I would think that the bore should be .25 - .31 caliber and the mug would be about 2" tall.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »
WHAT about doing a series on MICRO thundermugs?

Since there entire purpose in life is making noise, making them micro seems to defeat the purpose.  I guess the pirates could use them.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 10:56:50 PM »

Oh lovely..... Methane powered. Got any pics of you charging and lighting it off?  :D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Pinhead

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
Nice Terrier, Terry.  Good bark too.  You did a good job.  Thanks for all the photos and video.                Michael

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 04:38:51 AM »
  The only thundermug I've got is porcelain coated steel with a blue stripe at the top!

;D

The "contents" of that porcelain coated thundermug of yours will make the smell of burnt blackpowder seem like perfume. ;D
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 05:19:57 AM »
Oh lovely..... Methane powered. Got any pics of you charging and lighting it off?  :D

It would have to be on an entirely different forum to post pictures like that!   :D ::) :P :-[ :-*
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 05:21:53 AM »
Suggestion:  When you get tired of how it sounds now, put it back on the lathe and open up the bore to about 1.5 inches.  There's plenty of strength to spare, could even go larger if desired.

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 06:53:21 AM »
So, are there any scale drawings of thundermugs around?
I assume you should stick with the one-caliber rule on a thunder mug?

Thx
MikeR C

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 01:25:40 PM »
I assume you should stick with the one-caliber rule on a thunder mug?

You could but the proportions would be wrong for a traditional one.  They are thicker than one caliber at the breech end.  And since they are not intended for projectiles, you could probably go a little bigger bore for any given size of round stock.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 02:23:39 AM »
WHAT about doing a series on MICRO thundermugs?

Since there entire purpose in life is making noise, making them micro seems to defeat the purpose.  I guess the pirates could use them.

Could make something about the size of BNA's cork mortar in mug form. That would be a neat little paperweight.  :)

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 04:41:06 PM »
Been holding off on the assembly of the thundermug, firing it without the handle or flash pan, while I waited for repairs to the welder I use to power my TIG rig. With business slow like it is, I have no way of knowing when that unit will go in for service.

So to expedite the project, I stick welded the handle and flash pan onto the tube. This welder won't adjust low enough for the TIG, and doesn't do real well with small diameter electrodes, either. But for now it's what I have to make do with.

Gave it a cursory cleanup but it's gonna need a lot more dressing down and blending of the welds. For now I'm going to give it a quick and temporay paint job as-is to get it ready to use on the 4th.

I'll get back to it in the off-season.

The handle and flash pan were flame-cut from 5/8" thick hot-rolled flat bar.

The blotches and streaks are not in the surface of the metal, the cheap pads I was using left a sticky residue behind.

Offline capta1n

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2009, 02:57:11 AM »
Terry-

Nice work on the mug.  It sounds great.  I loved your response to the advice offered.  As for me, I always say "Because I can".

Capta1n

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2009, 04:32:00 AM »
I like the looks of the handle on the mug. Great lines there!!!!!!!!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 12:44:59 AM »
capta1n -

WELCOME to the board!

SO, what do you shoot, 'because you can"?

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired